• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Larry, actually you are correct (more or less).  In November 1939 a German light aircraft, (probably a Fiesler Storch) was forced down near Mechlin, in Belgium, which is located just inside the eastern frontier.
  A gendarme stopped the German officer on board from burning some documents.  The gendarme gave the documents to the authorities and these were provided to the French and British.  The documents were the German  general staff plans for the invasion of France and the low countries.  No action was taken as it was thought that this had to be a clumsy German ruse.

redleafjumper - Thanks for the clarification on Op Sea Lion; I had no idea that it was postponed so many times before being cancelled.

Why did Kaiser Wilhelm feel that he did not have to worry about Russian action in the days before the beginning of World War 1?

Probably due to the different rail gauge of the Russian and European sytems and the expected lengthy mobilization schedule.  In addition Russia was known to be low in armaments,  while Germany was well armed.  Actually, the answer to this question is really fairly complex - I might have to pull out my old copy of the Origins of the First World War, H.W. Koch, ed.  for a better answer!

I'll get to the answer eventually...  I'm reaading about the alliances for a history class right now  ;)

In the meantime, here is a question that will be easy for some and impossible for others:

What is the 'trim vane' (army context) and what is it used for?

(modified to correct spelling and improve clarity)

redleaf

do you mean "trim vane"?... the mechanism that submariners use to control their level / altitude

I think your spelling, that is 'vane' is correct.   The answer you have given, the submarine leveling device, is related to what I am looking for, but the answer I seek is related to an army vehicle.   My apologies for the lack of clarity!

redleafjumper said:
What is the 'trim vane' (army context) and what is it used for?

It is the board found on the front of certain armoured vehicles, like the M113 family. It's used when swimming the vehicle, to provide stability.

It's more often used as a table though, when supported by a shovel.

Recceguy has it right.  The trim vane is the stability board used to prevent water washing over swimming AFVs, and to add stability in the water.

Here's an easy one:

What are the names of the two full-auto variants of the Lee-Enfield .303?  Why and where were they made?

redleafjumper said:
Re: Sea Serpent

The answer I am looking for is not a sub.   As a clue, Spr Earl's answer is in the ballpark!   Surely a Sea Serpent has something to do with at least one of the four elements... (Another clue?)

Yup I know the answer but letting others find it ergo the hint of the Buff's and Roo's  ;D

redleafjumper said:
Recceguy has it right.   The trim vane is the stability board used to prevent water washing over swimming AFVs, and to add stability in the water.
Here's the next one.
What propels the old M113 through the water?
You must be precise. ;)

Do you really want the Physics formula for the inertial movement of the tracks in the liquid or will it suffice to say that the motion of the tracks propells the M113 family of vehicles through the water.   Of course the design of the end-connectors assists in the propulsion of the vehicle.........think of the old Mississippi Riverboats - paddle boats

End connectors provide propulsion, shrouds provide buoyancy, counterweight provides stability.

Would that mean that all the times we had no shrouds to provide buoyancy, we should have sunk?  ;D

Next Question:
On the M113, why did you leave the Cargo Hatch OPEN when entering the water for swimming?

Nope, closed on entry, opened afterwards.  You weren't  SUPPOSED to swim without shrouds, but we all did it.  They actually provided about an extra 3/4" of precious freeboard.  Oh, and the trim vane provided "lift" when swimming.

Actually the hatch was left open in case of swamping.   The theory was that the force of the water entering the forward hatches would 'blow' everyone out the Cargo Hatch.   If the hatch was closed on entry and the vehicle was swamped, the crew would be forced up against the ramp and drown.

I was taught that the air pocket formed with the family hatch closed provided buoyancy during the approach and entry.  The hatch was then opened, as per your info.  I was taught by infanteers, so maybe they were wrong.  If D&M Sqn taught ALL AFV, maybe these discrepancies wouldn't exist.  Clever justification for my position in the MAT thread, eh?  ;D

They also had a nasty habit of changing the Safety Precautions for Swim Camps ever four or five years....it has been some time since my last Swim Camp....so I suppose it could depend on what Unit and era we talk of...   ;D

Always remember to check your Hull Drain Plugs and lock the Backdoor.  ;D

George Wallace said:
They also had a nasty habit of changing the Safety Precautions for Swim Camps ever four or five years....it has been some time since my last Swim Camp....so I suppose it could depend on what Unit and era we talk of...   ;D

Always remember to check your Hull Drain Plugs and lock the Backdoor.    ;D
And your bilge pump. ;)

Ah memory lane and M113s, the stuff history is made of!

Now, how about those two full auto Lee-Enfield .303s?

Back