• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Michael Dorosh said:
Did you miss the last three posts?  ???
No, not really, but since the eyewitness (dropped off in daylight) would may or may not have seen the rising sun, but I just thought maybe no sunshine due to the fact of the clouds? 

(Maybe I missed it)

:D

I just checked the account in the official history and would like to add that the landing on the main beach was between 0520 and 0525, or about 30 minutes after the start of nautical twilight. (The times were expressed in British Summer Time, which was an hour ahead of GMT.)  Furthermore, Dieppe lies in a basin, so the sun probably may not have appeared and almost certainly could not have lit up the windows.

There were attacks by Hurricanes on the town prior to the landing, but these were strafing, so large fires should not have been set and would not have time to spread in the stone buildings around the harbour. There were no heavy bomber attacks on Dieppe itself during the night.

Just popped in for a quick question: Blood Rank refers to the awarded rank of a certain armed forces. Where, when, and who was this tradition originated by?

Just a guess: Japanese. Ancient Samurai.

What is a suctus, and who used it?

Vampires, Transylvania, after they drank our blood?

or

Lawyers, across North America, just before they hand us the bill?

or

Politicans, political promises, any party, right after they've been elected?

Nice try Whiskey and Centurian but no.This should be an easy one for our friends south of the boarder.

I dont recall carrying one of those - although I may have been a large body shield for the guy behind me!

Blood Rank?  Is that the US Army/USMC habit of slapping the rank badge pins into someone's flesh, particularily if they seem to be the sort that was looking for the promotion? 

What was Lt. Col. J.H. Patterson's claim to fame?

redleafjumper said:
What was Lt. Col. J.H. Patterson's claim to fame?

Being portrayed by Val Kilmer  :D
Actually he was responsible for killing two of the deadliest lions  (135 total human lives) during construction of a railway bridge in Kenya
see
The Man-Eaters of Tsavo (1907)
or for the Lazy
Bwana Devil or The Ghost and The Darkness

Another question on hockey and world war one. What Canadian military unit played (for part of one year) in the National Hockey Association (precursor to the NHL ?

AJFitzpatrick said:
Another question on hockey and world war one. What Canadian military unit played (for part of one year) in the National Hockey Association (precursor to the NHL ?
228th Bn?  Sent overseas in Feb 1917.  Caused a bit of a scandal because some of the officers were discharged, claiming to have commissions only to play hockey :P

vonGarvin said:
228th Bn?  Sent overseas in Feb 1917.  Caused a bit of a scandal because some of the officers were discharged, claiming to have commissions only to play hockey :P

Correct. Record was 7-7

A new question
who was the "Pirate of the Adriatic" ?

AJFitzpatrick said:
A new question
who was the "Pirate of the Adriatic" ?

Argh Matey

LCdr Tommy Miller, who commanded a half dozen fast and heavily armed motor gunboats, which preyed on enemy coastal convoys.

For all you mounted (or once mounted) types:
What is considered to be the last major cavalry battle, who were the commanders, and what eventual fate befell them both?

The Battle of Moreuil Wood, Lt Flowerdew was one, died the next day and recieved the VC posthumously. Can't think of the other, may have to look it up.

Rhibwolf said:
Argh Matey

LCdr Tommy Miller, who commanded a half dozen fast and heavily armed motor gunboats, which preyed on enemy coastal convoys.

Sort of Close;

Thomas Fuller DSC; The rest is correct

recceguy said:
The Battle of Moreuil Wood, Lt Flowerdew was one, died the next day and recieved the VC posthumously. Can't think of the other, may have to look it up.
While a good answer, its not the one Im looking for. The battle Im looking for involved many more men and horses than the 3rd Cdn Cav Brigade, (think whole armies) and likely had more casualties in a single day than actually participated in Moreuil Wood. As an example, one side of the engagement alone boasted 16 700 sabres! 

Back