• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Actually no, history is not just limited to the Canadian army.  Were that the case this thread might well have been exhausted long ago.

As to the "last samurai" , hmm, that is a difficult one, as there are likely many who could qualify.  The word Samurai is not singular, but I suspect that Lord Katsumoto is likely the most credible candidate for his leadership of the samurai in the rebellion against  the modernisation of Japan.  Certainly the traditions of the samurai and bushido were continued in World War Two.  Any remnants of samurai tradition certainly ended with that conflict.

What are the patch colours for the Canadian divisions, by division, in the second world war?

1st Infantry Division Red
2nd Infantry Division Grey
3rd Infantry Division Blue
4th Armoured Division Green
5th Armoured Division Maroon
6th British Airborne Division (1st Canadian Parachute Battalion was part of) Maroon with light blue Bellerophon riding Pegasus.

Source From D-Day to VE-Day the Canadian Soldier By Jean Bouchery Published by Histoire & Collections.

dangerboy said:
6th British Airborne Division (1st Canadian Parachute Battalion was part of) Maroon with light blue Bellerophon riding Pegasus.

Source From D-Day to VE-Day the Canadian Soldier By Jean Bouchery Published by Histoire & Collections.
Having worn the patch of the "Big Red One", that's the only one I knew off hand, though I must admit that at one time, I DID know that
Question removed at my request: I think I used the wrong wording, and now I'm confused :D

So, no question from me

dangerboy said:

You forgot some

The 6th Division
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=6th_Canadian_Division

The 6th Div CAPF
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=6th_Canadian_Division_%28CAPF%29

The 7th Div
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=7th_Canadian_Division

The 8th Div
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=8th_Canadian_Division

Sure they were never deployed overseas but they were Second World War Canadian Divisions.
There was also a second 3rd Canadian Div (CAOP) raised in 1945 for occupation duty in Germany

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=3rd_Canadian_Division_%28CAOF%29

Thanks to our own Michael Dorosh and his informative site for the links above. :salute:

OK here is the answer to my question.

According to here, http://www.artelino.com/articles/saigo-takamori.asp Saigo Takamori was the last Samurai (in the traditional sense of the term).

Reference the question re divisional patches, I am sure that the 2nd Division wore a green patch, while the colour of the 3rd's was french gray.

Second div wore a blue patch, the officer's patch had en embroiderd '' C '' in gold wire upon their patches

Wow, some great answers on Canadian Division patches.  Here is another question:

What operation saw the first use of the "Kangaroo" APC?

Operation "Totalize". They removed the guns from the 3rd Divs Priest's, and covered up the gun apertures with armoured plate. They were  nicknamed "Unfrocked Priest's"

Here is a supplemental to the question re Kangaroos. What was the origin of the name Kangaroo?

Old Sweat said:
Here is a supplemental to the question re Kangaroos. What was the origin of the name Kangaroo?
troops travel "piggback" on / under the armour of an AFV.... same as a "roo" kitt

Geo,

Good try and very close, but no cigar. That actually was the reason that the name stuck, but as a hint, Kangaroo was a code word in use at the time. The question is what did it stand for?

Yes, it was Operation totalize.  Here is the answer to the other question:

From http://www.1cacr.org/hist.html

"...Each had its howitzer removed, and the resulting gap in the front armour plated over with whatever steel could be found. Dubbed 'Kangaroos', which was the code name for the 2nd corps Army Workshops Detachment (AWD) which converted them, these robust vehicles were assigned a single driver as the only crew, and loaded with ten or more infantry, crossed the start line for Operation TOTALIZE on the night of 7 August 1944.

The vehicles, and the tactics, were an immediate success. It had been demonstrated that carrying troops behind armour significantly reduced casualties, as well as increased morale within the hard-pressed infantry. In addition, the ability of these vehicles to keep pace with the tanks increased the security of both elements.
The Priest Kangaroos continued to serve throughout the rest of the campaign in France, carrying both British and Canadian infantry in every attack. On 28 August 1944, their usefullness was formally recognized within the Canadian War Establishment by the designation '1st Canadian Armoured Personnel Carrier Squadron' (Capt. F.S. Corbeau, commanding).

The vehicles, and the tactics, were an immediate success. It had been demonstrated that carrying troops behind armour significantly reduced casualties, as well as increased morale within the hard-pressed infantry. In addition, the ability of these vehicles to keep pace with the tanks increased the security of both elements."

redleafjumper said:
The Priest Kangaroos continued to serve throughout the rest of the campaign in France, carrying both British and Canadian infantry in every attack.

Much to the disgust of the Gunners who had to go back to the 25 pounder.

In addition, as I understand, ammunition for the 105's the Priests were originally equipped with was in short supply and with no more ammo forthcoming the guns were removed and the Kangaroo was born. Some Canadian made Ram tanks that were in England for training purposes and considered unfit for combat had their turrets removed and were used after the Priests.

The Montreal Locomotive Works built the Ram II which was used as an OP when issued with turret. With the removal  of the turret, basket, and main armament, they were used as APC's, as a tractor to tow the 17lb A/T gun.  When used as an ammo carrier it was fitted with with a hatch cover of armoured plate over the turret ring. It could also be used as a flame thrower (called Wasp) and was fitted with 4 tanks for Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, and Oil, in this role the bow MG was replaced with a flame gun.

Source "Canada's Fighting Vehicles Europe 1943 - 45 Vol 1"

Jantor,

My reading of the conversion is that the guns had been borrowed from the US Army for the invasion and the plan always was to return them at a convenient time. The 3rd Division was pulled out of the line at the end of July and the three field regiments were converted at the time. (The 19th Army Field Regiment also was equipped with borrowed Priests, but did not exchange them for Sexton 25-pdr SPs until laye August.)

Back