• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

NavComm said:
OK, so I guess it's my turn to ask a question, I hope it hasn't been asked before.

How many ships were owned by the Canadian Navy when Britain declared war on Germany? What class were they and what were they named?
Which time? 1914 or 1939?

The Canadian navy consisted of six river class destroyers : HMCS Frasier, Ottawa, Restigouche, Saguenay, St. Laurent and Skeena. In october of that year the HMCS Assiniboine joined the others.

There were also 5 minesweepers, 4 were Fundy Class: HMCS Comox, HMCS Fundy, HMCS Gaspe, and HMCS Nootka. Not sure what the fifth was.

Here's one for you VG...

After Manstein left 56 Panzer Corps on 13 September, 1941, when did he return to the Leningrad front? Here's a hint - he was still in charge of 11th Army and ended up fighting at Lake Ladoga.

The siege lasted of Leningrad about 900 days, and the book I'm reading on Leningrad says between 700,000 to 2 million deaths for the Russians.
And as to Answer to your question Couchmaster I haven't advanced far into my book, Ask me again in about a week    :D

couchcommander said:
Here's one for you VG...

After Manstein left 56 Panzer Corps on 13 September, 1941, when did he return to the Leningrad front? Here's a hint - he was still in charge of 11th Army and ended up fighting at Lake Ladoga.
Although I have "Verlorene Siegen" at home (Lost Victories), I'll refrain from referring to it, instead attempting to rely on my "memory brain" (as my 6 year old calls her noggin')
After his victory at Sevastopol, the 11th Army was then going to reduce Leningrad, as I recall.  As such, 11 Army was initially heading WAY up north (including the rail artillery, etc).  The individual divisions of 11 Army I think were parcelled off to various other Armies and Groups, but I'm fairly certain that HQ of 11 Army went up North, including v Manstein.  I believe he remained there from about July 1942 until recalled to the "Dirty South" of old Mother Russia in December 1942 in order to conduct the relief attempt at Stalingrad.  As I recall, his estimate is textbook Prussian staff work: meticulous.

How did I do?

Not bad for memory!

His HQ arrived in late august.. my copy of Lost Victories tells me August 27th to be precise. ;)

Old Sweat said:
Kilroy was here.

I especially like the Kilroy drawing off of Clint Eastwood's "Kelly's Hero's" (1968), the Up Yours Baby! If anyone has seen this, you'll know what I mean.

Cold ones,

Wes

When HMCS Bonaventure came over to Canada, what interesting contraption did she bring with her?

The "Bonnie" was commissioned at Belfast on January 17, 1957, and arrived at Halifax on June 26, carrying on deck an experimental hydrofoil craft that was to serve in the development of HMCS Bras d'Or.

Of course this tid-bit was gleaned through an extensive and exhausting Google search. (First page, fourth hit.)
:salute:

During what action in the Napoleonic wars did British officers lead a charge shouting the battle cry "Vive l' Empereur!"?

Wesley 'Down Under' said:
I especially like the Kilroy drawing off of Clint Eastwood's "Kelly's Hero's" (1968), the Up Yours Baby! If anyone has seen this, you'll know what I mean.

Cold ones,

Wes

When my dad was a youngun in London, their time was spent in search of an unblemished surface.  The inscription was then applied as follows: " Oh boy, oh boy, I could jump for joy, for I was here before Kilroy".  A reply ineveitably followed:" Alas my friend, too soon you spoke, for I was here but my pencil broke......Kilroy"

redleafjumper said:
During what action in the Napoleonic wars did British officers lead a charge shouting the battle cry "Vive l' Empereur!"?
Not sure about the leading a "frenchie" charge but, the 14th foot, PWOR did get caught behind french lines & their regimental band played "ça ira" as the regiment marched back across french lines in darkness.... Reg't chose to adopt "ça ira" as part of their regimental march thereafter.

redleafjumper said:
Would it have been Waterloo, and instead of Napoleon, the "Empereur" was actually "Der Kaiser" of Prussia to whom they referred?

Tis the first time I am home since the middle of May, the wife changed on of the kids rooms into a "War Room" for me to display my library, and my medals and militaria, however all my books are in a mess.

Back then French was the languge of most European nobility. I think this question has more to do with people like Barclay de Tolly, and the other Scots who fought for the Russian Czar

No correct answers yet...  Perhaps a small hint is in order.  They were using French as it was a language that they had in common with their allies in that charge.

Back