• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question on OPME's

Glorified Ape

Inactive
Reaction score
Alllllrighty - I searched the forums, read through every thread with even the slightest mention of OPMEs but didn't find what I'm interested in knowing: what is the workload like for an average OPME course? I'm specifically interested in assignments and exams - do you have to write a paper? If so, what length (generally)? Are there two exams or only a final?  I've gone through the DCS section of the RMC website but I didn't find any of this information. I understand that the courses may vary in their requirements, but any information would be helpful.

The reason I'm asking is that my SEM suggested that instead of taking an extra course in university to fulfill the full-time student requirement in my graduating semester, I should take an OPME. That sounded like a good idea but I'll have three university courses at the time, two of which are likely to be pretty heavy in their workload (especially in paper writing) so I'm trying to figure out what I'm in for if I take an OPME instead of a bird course at university.

The course I'm looking at is HIE208 (Canadian Military History). I'd prefer Technology, Society, and Warfare (HIS475) but I need a junior history credit first. Hopefully I'll be able to skip a couple of the OPME's by getting credit for a few of my university courses.

Thanks in advance.

The workload for an OPME isn't that bad.  I find it averages out to six-eight hours a week, usually spend over one night, and one morning or afternoon on the weekend, or two nights.
The assignments and exams depend on the OPME.  I've done one where there were two assignments (including a take home mid-term) and a longer paper for the final (Canadian Military History) and one where there around six assignments that ran around six to eight pages of answers and a final exam taken at the BPSO's office that was a combination of short answer and a two page essay (CF and Modern Society).  Had to withdraw from War and Tech due to an operation but that had a class presentation, one (or two) take home assignments and a final paper.

Ah, Thanks... that clears up a bit. Sounds about the same as an average university course. Dammit. :D

I just finished HIE 208 for Summer 05.  There were a total of 8 assignments.  They range from 4 that were 500 words and the others were 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500 words.

Some Bases/Areas run condensed version OPME where you can do a full course in 5 days, excerpt from ROs at CFB/ASU Edmonton:
OPME Course On-Site in Edmonton
Condensed OPME Courses
DCE 001 & DCE 002
1) DCE 001- Introduction to Defence Management
28 November - 2 December 2005 (full-time 0800 â “ 1600)
2) DCE 002 â “ Introduction to Military Law
5 â “ 9 December 2005 (full-time 0800 â “ 1600)
Course Descriptions: http://www.opme.forces.gc.ca/engraph/timetable/desc/course_e.asp

Anyone have any experience with these "condensed" versions?

Just a note about the above mentioned condensed OPMEs.  While DCE001 and DCE002 can easily be set-up over 5 days each--and, in fact, often are--the other 4 OPME will not be possible over 5 days each.  They require too much essay writing, etc.  DCE001 and DCE002 have no essays and no mid-terms.

At St-Jean Campus the OPME program is run over a period of 12 weeks as in-class courses.  DCE001 and DCE001 each take one week (weeks 11 and 12) while the other 4 are taken together over the first 10 weeks.  I believe the Navy runs something similar to this.  That set-up gives an indication (ok, an education guess) as to the level of workload that might be expected.

I doubt I'd be able to do the condensed versions, given obligations at university. I guess I'll be taking an OPME next semester, given that the workload doesn't sound like it'll take away from my uni courses too much. Thanks for the info fellas, now all I have to do is clear everything with my SEM/ULO.

I'm not sure what your degree is in but if you have any courses that you think might have anything to do with any of the OPMEs (Mil Hist, Pol Sci) you can contact RMC at:

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
(613) 541-6000, ext 3985 , CSN 271-3985
email: plar@rmc.ca

They will ask for a copy of your syllabus and they can grant you credits toward your OPMEs. I did it a couple of years ago and had credits granted to me. Not a lot but any is better than nothing.

It has been my experience that not a lot of credits are handed out for any of the OPME's, take for instance the Lawyer on my BOTC who was asked to teach the Mil Law, turned it down, then was required to take the course (until some discussion took place that is  ::))

At any rate, my suggestion on OPME is approach them as a University Course, there is a fair amount of work to do well on them. And I would also suggest start early and keep picking them off one maybe two at a time.  There never seems to be much time to "do it later"

$0.02

Scants said:
I'm not sure what your degree is in but if you have any courses that you think might have anything to do with any of the OPMEs (Mil Hist, Pol Sci) you can contact RMC at:

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
(613) 541-6000, ext 3985 , CSN 271-3985
email: plar@rmc.ca

They will ask for a copy of your syllabus and they can grant you credits toward your OPMEs. I did it a couple of years ago and had credits granted to me. Not a lot but any is better than nothing.

I thought about that and I plan on at least trying but there's I've only got a couple courses that could apply - namely an Intro to Strategic Studies course and an Advanced Strategic Studies course. I've got political courses coming out my wazoo, but how many of them may be what they're looking for, I'm not sure. One of the OPME courses sounds like a basic Canadian Politics/International relations course, both of which I already have. I'm in my 4th year of my BA (honours) in Political Science, so I've got just about every type of poli sci course done. Whether they'll let me use two courses to eliminate one OPME course, I don't know.

As Scotty said, it would appear they're quite strict on exemptions.

Anyone have any experience with these "condensed" versions?

Actually, I've done the final exam this morning for OPME DCE 001 "Intro to defense management". It was 1 week long here in Gagetown.

Two assessments of 35 questions (15 multiple-choice + 20 short answer questions each). I spent around 2 1/2 hrs to complete each ones. Those aren't really complicated and a good score is common.

Final exam : 75 questions. Tricky, I'd say! All multiple-choice questions. On 75% of the questions, there is good stuff even in the wrong answers.
I mean your have to pick the "best answer of all the answers" type of thing.

I'm a college graduate, never been to the university. To me, it was a good challenge.

You have to pass each assessments, plus the final exam. If you fail the test, but scored 100% on each assessment and reach the passing mark when adding up all scores, you fail anyway.

My two cents: Even though DCE 001 doesn't give you any university credits, it doesn't means that it's a joke. Feasible yes. Just take it seriously.

Finally, I got the result! I passed with honors! (It shows pass,fail, or passed with honors on the MPRR)....
Anyway, if you do one of those, be interested in the topic, it's the way to go.
Good learning, great asset for you...

Delavan

If you do these things by distance, to what extent do they determine the deadlines for assignments?

For example, if there's 8 assignments like mentioned above, 4x 500 words, then 4 bigger ones.... Will you be given the assignments at the start of the course so you can just go to town and finish them? Or are they released to you "x" amount of time before they are due type of thing?

What about for scheduling the exams and whatnot?

The assignments are given out on a schedule, so there is no getting ahead. On some of the courses you have 3 hours to complete short essays on 3 out of 4 subjects. Exams if required will be scheduled as part of the final online assigment for the most case. Usually on the non-DCE courses, your final grade is made up of your assignment marks.

Hope this helps.

Tango18A said:
The assignments are given out on a schedule, so there is no getting ahead.

That's not entirely true.  For the History one I just completed, the prof put all of the assignments and discussion questions up on the first week with their respective deadlines, because enough people in the course were deployed/otherwise busy to wait until a certain time to do them.  However, this may have just been what one prof does and not a standard procedure.

The assignment files for OPME courses are always given at the beginning of the course. For some with discussions, the discussion topics are not put up right away, but the essays etc should be available from the start.

Excellent info everyone, although I'm curious as to why it's a bit conflicting. I asked because I am probably doing HI208 this Fall semester by distance, but I will also be doing 5 courses at MUN on campus.

I did one OPME during my time in Uniform and it was HIE475 (without a pre-req) and it was on-site.  I highly recommend taking the OPME's on-site as much as possible. The first thing our Prof told us was that the module had too many assignments and cut them in half then set the schedule for hand-ins. Our final assignment was a PP presentation prepared in teams. Considering the course content the presentations were very informative and enjoyable.

:2c:

muffin said:
The assignment files for OPME courses are always given at the beginning of the course. For some with discussions, the discussion topics are not put up right away, but the essays etc should be available from the start.

This wasn't the case for HIE275. The essays were only online for the week scheduled, and once started you only had 3 hours to complete.

Back