• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question re: pay during BOTP

Tyrnagog

Inactive
Reaction score
During BOTP, I know you have the rank of OCDT, and get pay according to TB directive...

Would anyone here be able to tell me approx. what that works out to after tax?

I am just trying to figure out my family‘s budget, when I eventually do go...

thanks!

Go here for the current CF pay guide.

Pay guide

Then take approx. 30-35% off for taxes, EI, SD benefits and you should get your rough estimate.

I think the average the OCDT‘s received on my BOTC was around 1,000-1,100 every 15th and 30th. Watch out for the peripheral costs though. It seems like you are constantly going to the Canex for something when you are allowed of course.

Here is the breakdown for OCDT:

Pay every period, depending on your incentive, is $3077 (2LT Basic) and up. See pay under http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dppd/pay/engraph/OfficerRegFPayRate_e.asp?sidesection=3&sidecat=28

Deductions approximate from my paychecks:
Federal - 10%
Provincial - 12.6%
Superannuation - 4%
C.P.P. - 4.5%
E.I. - 2%
Quebec SDB sales tax - $0.78 (taken off every mid month check)
Your Blue Cross in AB will be about $44 per month (taken off mid-month paycheck)
if you elect into death benefits that is around $15 per month (taken off mid-month paycheck)

If you aren‘t married then quarters and rations DON‘T come off. I think they are:

Rations - $340.00 approx.
Quarters - $84.00 approx.

If you are married then you get separation pay which is $12.00 per day. This is not on your paychecks and is signed for at the end of the month and deposited two weeks later.

Mr. Neil is correct, it does seem like you‘re constantly going to the Canex for little things - field note pad, boot bands, laundry detergent, etc. See you at Monday hockey Captain.

Quick ammendment to "Wingman‘s" post...

If you are married - you will not pay rations or quarters.

I‘m guessing that paying into Alberta Blue Cross is a provincial thing - seems like a cash cow - no other province requires you to pay into it. That seems like an unnecessary expense.

You will not get rich while stuck at the Mega - but I lived on 2Lt pay for 4 years and it is possible.

I am married (with a daughter), and I am not expecting to get rich... I just want to make sure the basics (utilities, rent, food) are covered for my family when I do go off to basic...

Oops, thanks Zoomie. Yes Q&R does‘t come off if you‘re married. I corrected my post.
Tyrnagog, you will make about $1000-$1100 per paycheck. Then an extra $300 (approx.) for separation pay which is paid the month after. Remember that the military will not pay for any moves until you are posted so they do not move your family for second language training. I paid for that myself and it isn‘t cheap from Alberta to Quebec.

I know... this is something my wife and I have talked about.

Luckily, it is her professional opinion that I may be close to the language requirement already... so that shaves 7 months... or am I crazy in thinking that?

The $1000 per paycheque isn‘t too bad... right now I am making about 600 every two weeks from EI, so it may work out a bit better... once daycare, etc. is figured in...

Now I just have to get all of my paperwork up to date, and get an offer... and pass PT...

No problem... lol

Wingman, just a question on your comment about moving your family during language training. After moving your family out, what were your living conditions? Did you live off-site with them? Did you set them up in an apartment or something and visit on weekends? I‘m very interested in knowing about this aspect as my wife asked if she would go out there with me during language training.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!

Casing,
There are quite a few apartments available in St. Jean but all Quebec leases run July to June so it can be a little tricky although it is fairly easy to sublet. The other thing is that the majority of apartments do not come with appliances.
It is also possible to get permission to get a PMQ in St. Hubert about 30 minutes from the Garrison.

Keep in mind, as Wingman already mentioned, if you decide to move your family to St-Jean, it will be done AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE. When you finally do end up getting posted and are due a Cost-Move on behalf of the CF, they will only move your Furniture and Effects (F&E) from your place of enrollment. The only caveat to this would be if St-Jean were closer to your new posting.

Here‘s what a friend of mine did while at St-Jean. When he joined the CF (DEO - pilot), he was married and living in Halifax. He left his wife in their apartment in Halifax while attending BOTC (14 weeks). Once he was posted to the language school - he placed most of his F&E in storage (paid for by the CF) and his wife came out to live with him off-base in a semi-furnished apartment. She attended language school with him, just in a different class. CF spouses are allowed to attend the classes as long as there is ample space. Once he was done with his training, he and his wife were moved from Halifax to Borden and then to Cold Lake.

Make sure you all do your homework BEFORE making a huge decision, it could hurt you in the end.

Thanks for the post, Zoomie! That is very interesting and useful information. My wife was especially interested in your post. Thanks!

Casing, good to hear from you again. To answer some of your questions.
1. After moving your family out, what were your living conditions?
I moved my family into the PMQ‘s in St. Hubert about 30 minute drive from St. Jean. I have most of my F&E in storage back home under my own expense because I didn‘t ask for storage during Basic and its a one shot deal (apparently). I have a nice 800sqft. huse with cement basement and 2nd story where the bedrooms are. Great neighbours and little playgrounds nearby for the children.

2. Did you live off-site with them?
No, I stay at the base during the week and travel back for the weekend. This may change when the weather gets nicer. You can live off base during SLT with permission from the school.

3 Did you set them up in an apartment or something and visit on weekends?
The PMQ‘s are either houses approx. 800sqft. or a duplex for 2LT‘s.

To get into the PMQ‘s you need to apply first. I don‘t know the vacancy rate but it appears as if there aren‘t to many empty.

If you are interested in seeing what the area looks like, I could send some digital photos to you of the exterior and interior of the house.

Zoomie, on the topic of the spouses attending SLT with you. I tried to get my wife in ours at the base and I was told that this rarely happens. There are short courses in French that spouses can take here that are through the Family Resource Centre but I don‘t know the details yet. I am still investigating this.

I reiterate that all your moves until after Phase training is complete is at your own expense. Also be aware that the storage offer is a one shot deal. So when they ask if you need it before Basic, take it.

Zoomie,

My wife is taking the french class through the Family Resource Centre right now. SHe enjoys it quite a bit. They start at a very base level and they don‘t move to fast but it is a good social outlet for her and the other wives.

If you want any more information about living outside the base let me know. MY landlord also has an apartment coming free in late August early September.

Back