• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question re: PRes start up

aquaholic75

Inactive
Reaction score
Just had a question. When I had spoken to the recruiting Sergeant at the 4 RCR he had mentioned that there was a weekend BMQ course starting January 24th. Now that I have a date to write my CFAT and  seeing as that is one of the first steps, would that mean that the course starting on the 24th would be out for me? As well, if I'm not in that one, would it mean I wouldn't be able to join a reserve unit until September which is when, I'm lead to believe, the next bmq course would be?  Any help would be appreciated.

aquaholic75 said:
Just had a question. When I had spoken to the recruiting Sergeant at the 4 RCR he had mentioned that there was a weekend BMQ course starting January 24th. Now that I have a date to write my CFAT and  seeing as that is one of the first steps, would that mean that the course starting on the 24th would be out for me? As well, if I'm not in that one, would it mean I wouldn't be able to join a reserve unit until September which is when, I'm lead to believe, the next bmq course would be?  Any help would be appreciated.

Unless someone at recruiting REALLY hauls ass, *and* the starts align, you're likely out of luck for January. There are, however, sometimes full time BMQs running at the start of the summer. 4 RCR's recruiter / ops staff should hopefully be able to say. Although they won't be able to confirm summer courses until likely some time in March.

The sergeant had also mentioned something about getting kit and being able to parade with the unit prior to bmq. Is thay even possible? I don't think summer bmq will happen for me due to only having 3 years in at my current employer.  Unless the 100 plus guys with 30 years plus actually retire or keel over :)

Not apart of 4 RCR, but I am in a Pres infantry unit so thought I'd share my 2 cents. In my experience, there's not much chance of you being able to partake in the January BMQ (it took me 9 months from the start of my application to the time I was given the phone call saying I'd been accepted), but no one can ever really say for sure, sometimes miracles happen haha.

I'm not sure on 4 RCR but I know my unit has a platoon for new recruits to practice drill and some low level training before they begin their courses. So if the the Sergeant that you were talking to said they did the same, my guess is it's true  :nod:

aquaholic75 said:
The sergeant had also mentioned something about getting kit and being able to parade with the unit prior to bmq. Is thay even possible? I don't think summer bmq will happen for me due to only having 3 years in at my current employer.  Unless the 100 plus guys with 30 years plus actually retire or keel over :)

As for the summer BMQ if you can't go on it, you can't go on it. You will just have to wait until the next basic, which will probably be Sept/Oct.

Once you swear in you are "part of the unit". Some units utilize pat's more than others. That is awesome that he said that, though will give you a slight leg up. At least you will know how to wear your uniform when you get to basic. You may do other things like nav and such but it all depends. Just whatever you do, once you get to basic don't say "Uhh SGT that's not how we did it at my unit."

I got my kit like a month before basic started, we put together my ruck, packed my tac vest and was shown how to properly wear the uniform.

YMV

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to get some time in with whichever unit I end up with before basic. My primary choice is with the 1st Hussars second being with the 31st Service Battalion and 3rd with the 4 RCR.  Hitting the gym hard this past month as well as refreshing my mind with math questions for the CFAT.  I want to be able to hit the ground running when it comes time for basic.

I'm in a similar situation, there's a BMQ in January but I'll have to really luck out to make it in time, plus my recruiter warned me that my year living outside of Canada will slow down the process. On the bright side, at least that means more time to prepare and get in tip-top shape.

aquaholic75 said:

Uh, hold up here. If you don't think you could cut loose for a single month in the summer for BMQ, what exactly is your plan for thw two subsequent courses that you'd have to do full time? You'd be looking at either a full month of BMQ-Land and then a month long course for your trade, or a two month basic infantry course if you go for that. BMQ alone does not get you qualified to do your job. You need to be planning on a weekend and evening BMQ, followed by two full months in the summer. I hate to be this blunt, but if you can't make that commitment you really don't have any business applying...

Brihard said:
Uh, hold up here. If you don't think you could cut loose for a single month in the summer for BMQ, what exactly is your plan for thw two subsequent courses that you'd have to do full time? You'd be looking at either a full month of BMQ-Land and then a month long course for your trade, or a two month basic infantry course if you go for that. BMQ alone does not get you qualified to do your job. You need to be planning on a weekend and evening BMQ, followed by two full months in the summer. I hate to be this blunt, but if you can't make that commitment you really don't have any business applying...

I can see your concern there Brihard. I can pull away from work for up to 90 days for training without losing my seniority. My HR department has informed me that I can do a leave, if needed and that it would just have to be approved by our transit commission. I think what I neglected to include is that I just don't want to do the BMQ during the summer. I'd prefer the weekend course for basic. As for the rest I have no problem taking the needed time off for that. Ideally I'd like to use my vacation time at the same time as taking the summer courses. Although, not impossible to do this coming summer just could be tough.  I don't want to be buying 4-5 senior guys each a bottle of 40 year old scotch to switch vacation weeks with me :) Maybe I could try offering them a pint or two of the "good stuff" (Labbatts Blue) lol

Well, got a call yesterday to book my physical. I figured that it would come after my CFAT (which is booked for January 14th) since I thought that the CFAT was the starting point. So, December 16th at 1230 is the physical portion of the process for me. Do they complete the medical at the same time or will that be another day?

Hard to say Aqua. I've seen some people's application date samples showing their physical and medical's were on the same day, others were on different days. It all depends on what the Recruitment Center has planned I suppose.

Good luck and best wishes in your application process!

Back