• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about Artillery NCM duties and career progression

I just want to say thanks for all the great information on this thread. As a potential future gunner, this is a wealth of information that that is greatly appreciated.

Lerch said:
The big postings for Artillery are; 1RCHA in Shilo, MB, 2RCHA in Petawawa, ON, 5RALC in Valcartier, QC, and the RCA School in Gagetown, NB. There's also 4AD Regt in Gagetown, NB and Moncton, NB, but that's all Air Defence.

Outside of those, for the western area, you can also get posted to CFB Suffield and CFB Wainwright, but those seem to be base duties and not regular Arty gigs.

I'm speaking for members of 1RCHA here, and not the other Regt's (as I don't know how fast they move members). When I was posted back to the Regt back in '10, we were just reforming into 2 gun batteries, an STA battery and a FOO battery. My option to get into the STA came during a field ex when they asked who wanted to do it...

After my the first group was asked, most of our new members have just been tasked to C Bty (STA) from their posting, I'd assume it's similar with Z Bty (FOO). There have been a few members that have asked to come to C Bty, but they're usually hooked Gunners and Bombers. Once they do make it to the battery, they're loaded onto the appropriate courses as they come up.

Sorry to bring this old topic back ! but I was just wondering are these posting still the case as of right now ???

Let's say if I hope to get into western Canada , the further I'll be able to be posted would be CFB Shilo MB ?

Wainwright and  Suffield are still duty posting ?

The big postings for Artillery are; 1RCHA in Shilo, MB, 2RCHA in Petawawa, ON, 5RALC in Valcartier, QC, and the RCA School in Gagetown, NB.  There are no other "hard" Arty postings. 

If you want an "Any Trade" posting, you could land up anywhere, but not 'working' in your Trade.

okay , but I guess since I'm training to become an Arty Officer , I'd rather work as an Arty Officer lol.

So Shilo would be the one I should look into ! Hopefully getting posted there !

Lived all my life in Quebec and Ontario , so I would prefer anything in West Canada , but then , the army decide where you are going :) lol !

hahaha , I'm trying to look into Shilo on the internet , it seems pretty much like and Army City.  Nothing in the city other than the CFB itself and the PMQ's lol. 

Anyone here ever lived there ??? how does it compare to Pete and Valcartier ?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/298.0

is this still accurate ??

Brandon is closest town.  University of Brandon and lots of Indian Reserves.  Winnipeg is a longer drive than Pet to Ottawa.  Arctic Warfare is often conducted there as at times it may be colder than up in the Arctic.  Manitoba Floods happen often along the Souris and Red Rivers.  Lots of gigantic farms and open spaces.  Good Military Vehicle Collection at Base Museum.  Lots of sand.

Those are some of the things you can expect to find in Shilo.

Okay so , it's basically like Quebec City lol , Very cold in the winter , Very hot in the summer.  Quebec tho would be more visitor and friendly attractive since Valcartier is a 20 minute drive from Quebec City Downtown.

GnyHwy said:
Oh boy!  Here come the Shilo jokes!  :pop:

Why do I feel that Shilo is the least favorite posting for an Arty Officer lol , I might be wrong , but that's the current feel I have hahah.  I would of loved to be in Alberta , but there is no Arty posting there :(

krimynal said:
Why do I feel that Shilo is the least favorite posting for an Arty Officer lol , I might be wrong , but that's the current feel I have hahah.  I would of loved to be in Alberta , but there is no Arty posting there :(

Its a least favourite posting for anyone. Its in the middle of nowhere, massive temperature extremes, and I'm positive mosquitoes are grown for all of Canada in the Shilo training area.

For social life, which I am assuming you are asking about, Shilo isn't much different than Pet.  In fact Shilo may have an advantage as Brandon is a decent size city, where Pet has Pembroke which is much smaller.  For nearest big cities, Ottawa is better than Winnipeg.  For climate, Shilo winters are extremely cold, but the summer is dry and free of sweating to death in 30 deg heat.

If you are looking for a social life and you can speak French well, then Valcartier is really nice.  Quebec city is awesome, and close by!

From a training perspective, they are all comparable, but Shilo does offer a larger and more flexible training area.

Don't forget about Gagetown either, there are plenty of positions for Arty Os there too! 

PuckChaser said:
Its a least favourite posting for anyone. Its in the middle of nowhere, massive temperature extremes, and I'm positive mosquitoes are grown for all of Canada in the Shilo training area.

That's not true.  The persons who have been there and hate it probably never gave it fair shake or wouldn't be happy anywhere.

It also may hold true as a myth for people that have never been there, but there are plenty of people that love Shilo and consider it home; and no, they are not retarded.  ;D

GnyHwy said:
That's not true.  The persons who have been there and hate it probably never gave it fair shake or wouldn't be happy anywhere.

It also may hold true as a myth for people that have never been there, but there are plenty of people that love Shilo and consider it home; and no, they are not have yet to realize they are retarded.  ;D

:blotto:

I do speak fluent french. I'm currently living in Trois-Rivières Quebec.  It's an hour away from Valcartier. The thing is , I'd spent like my last 7 to 8 years in Quebec , and I also lived in Ottawa for 3-4 years.  That's why I'm trying to move somewhere else.

I also want a place where I could speak english on a regular basis.  My brother AND father In-Law were both at Valcartier with the r22r ( my brother in-law is still currently serving with the 3rd battalion in Valcartier ).  That's why I would look into some changes ! lol

but yeah Gagetown might be good , I'll have to check !

Gagetown is bilingual, and you will have an advantage there. 

If you are looking for something entirely new, go to Shilo.  Even though it is geographically in the center of Canada, you are a fairly close (12 hrs) to places like Calgary and Edmonton, and the Rockies, which are all pretty awesome.

yeah , anyways I'll have to check once I'm there , but I still wanted to make sure what were the possibility !

It's funny to see the reaction of my girlfriend when I told her , that Artillery had 4 postings.  I told her the 4 places she was like ..... yeah that's not fun haha ! she's been in Valcartier for the most part of her life ( dad was a Master Warrant at the r22r ).  She hated Gagetown , eventhought she only was there for a couple of months.  Like I told her , when we'll get there , that's not our say.  If the forces wants me in Valcartier , that's where I'll go , if they want me in Shilo , then off we go.  But she was kind of disappointed that there were no BC or AB lol

It does not matter where you get posted, it's what you do with it. Some hunker down and bemoan their fate, others get out and about, see what's there, find what they like, explore......turns out pretty good overall.... :2c:

Back