• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Raid on Los Baños - 23 Feb 45

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Raid on Los Baños

The Raid on Los Baños (Filipino: Pagsalakay sa Los Baños) in the Philippines, early Friday morning on 23 February 1945, was executed by a combined U.S. Army Airborne and Filipino guerrilla task force, resulting in the liberation of 2,147 Allied civilian and military internees from an agricultural school campus turned Japanese internment camp. The 250 Japanese in the garrison were killed. It has been celebrated as one of the most successful rescue operations in modern military history. It was the second precisely-executed raid by combined U.S.-Filipino forces within a month, following on the heels of the Raid at Cabanatuan at Luzon on 30 January, in which 522 Allied military POWs had been rescued.[1]:4 The air/sea/land raid was the subject of a 2015 nonfiction book, Rescue at Los Baños: The Most Daring Prison Camp Raid of World War II, by New York Times bestselling author Bruce Henderson.[2] The history of the airborne rescuing force, the 11th Airborne Division, is covered in the 2019 book, When Angels Fall: From Toccoa to Tokyo, the 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II by author Jeremy C. Holm.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Los_Baños

My friend was interred as a 13 year old in Santo Tomas. His family had escaped from Shanghai, Hong Kong and then captured in Manila, he lost track of his father, only finding him in 1991. He did not have to many kind words for the Japanese.

Then there was this raid on Cabanatuan by the Rangers. You might have seen the movie ?

My friend was interred as a 13 year old in Santo Tomas. His family had escaped from Shanghai, Hong Kong and then captured in Manila, he lost track of his father, only finding him in 1991. He did not have to many kind words for the Japanese.
No doubt. Was pretty brutal & sadistic, even by WW2 standards.

I thought some of you might be interested in checking this out. I found it pretty interesting.

Back