- Reaction score
Why the difference between what the law says and what the Toronto Police require?
Thank-you, Lenaitch for the explanation. Sounds a little bit political.
the current Conservatives were pretty keen on reversing just about everything Liberal that they could
With a mayoral election coming up, I wonder if the City of Toronto would ever consider something similar to the City of New York hiring model?
To enroll in the Cadet Corps, a candidate must:
- Be 18-33 years of age
- Be a New York City resident
- Be a full-time college student with no more than 100 credits at the time of hire.
- Be enrolled in an accredited associate's or bachelor's degree program within the 5 boroughs of NYC, Nassau or Westchester Counties.
- Have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 and earn a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
- Be free of any felony convictions
- Have U.S. Citizenship within two years of hire and/or graduation of college - whichever comes first
- Maintain the 2.0 GPA and earn a minimum of 12 credits per semester in a Associates's or Bachelor's degree program at an accredited college
- Take the first available promotional police officer's exam while you are a cadet
- Attend monthly training every third Saturday of each month at the Police Academy
- Work full-time during the summer months
- Have your US Citizenship within two years of being hired or upon graduation from college, whichever comes first
Great Pay: We offer $16.79 hourly wage.
Flexible Work Schedule: We offer full-time summer employment with a flexible work schedule during the school year – school comes first!
Promotional Opportunity: When you take the police officer's exam it will be considered a promotional exam.
The highlighted part is the "nice thing".
ie: It's a Closed / Internal hiring, versus Open / External "off the street" hiring.
( FDNY Fire and EMS have similar Cadet programs, with the same promotional hiring. )
If applying for highly competive jobs, unless you have a "Godfather" on the inside, Closed / Internal / Promotional ( whatever you want to call it ) gives the applicant a better chance than External / Open / off the street.
No, this is not like the CAF cadet program.