• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP officers told not to wear symbol depicting ‘thin blue line’

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
144
Points
630
Humphrey Bogart said:
Many Private Firms are already providing these services and I can see in the future, Police Forces pricing themselves out of the game.

Omnicorp
 

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
115
Points
780
Rent-a-Cop? No thanks.

The only real sure thing in this town is that when you dial 9-1-1 they send professionals.

I don't like paying property tax any more than the next guy, or gal. But, let's not go cheap on our emergency services.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
301
Points
880
mariomike said:
Rent-a-Cop? No thanks.

The only real sure thing in this town is that when you dial 9-1-1 they send professionals.

Which in your own words were very difficult to fire.

I think if you offered competitive wages and the threat of being fired on the spot for doing something dumb you'll get some high end workers.
 

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
115
Points
780
Jarnhamar said:
Which in your own words were very difficult to fire.

Read what I typed, Jarnhamar.

mariomike said:
Depends on the organization, I guess. It was almost impossible to get thrown out of ours. You really had to put your mind to it. Unless you became a public disgrace, they'd tolerate almost anything.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
301
Points
880
I did read what you said. Less a public disgrace it was almost impossible to get thrown out of your organization as they would tolerate almost anything.

That's not a good thing IMO. Sorry if I'm missing something.
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Myth
Donor
Reaction score
508
Points
860
A tenant owed his landlord, an Ottawa Police Officer, overdue rent.  The OPS officer made the following threats (all recorded by his tenant).  After four years on suspension with pay, the OPS officer was given a twelve month demotion.  Retained as a cop.  Not fired.  The trier of facts is a retired deputy chief from the York Regional Police.  So Cops don't think behaviour like this is a reason for firing.

https://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/news-and-community/resources/Cst-Mesic-Decision.pdf


Constable Mesic also made numerous threatening statements towards Mr. Lavoie including:
(1) “If you think you met bad people, you haven’t met bad people. Okay. Because I don’t give a shit.  For money, people break legs, am I right?”
(2) “I also have issues with the bank because I’m short. I’m short that I can’t pay, okay, and if I can’t  pay, I’m losing that house and if I lose that house, I’m basically losing the future of my kids,  right? And if I lose the future of my kids, you know what happens, it makes me a desperate man.  Do you know what a desperate man does”
(3) “Even Harry told you don’t fuck with him, right? […] Harry told you, “You can’t fucking do this.”  To‐to‐especially not me. Because what happens is you’re jeopardizing yourself, you’re  jeopardizing your son’s future, you already had issues before and now we’re having issues again.  Right?"
(4) “I don’t care. I don’t care. Sell your kid. I don’t give a shit. Make your wife do something.”
(5) “I guarantee you. I’m going to spill blood. Okay.”

...

(1) “I’ve told you a couple of times now and I do not give a shit, people for money they kill right?  Your life is not worth to me 2000$ ok?”
(2) “I will put you in trouble that you will not recuperate for the next 10 years.”
(3) “I guarantee you, I’m going to feed you to the fish.”
(4) “And I don’t give a fuck what’s going to happen after because you will not be able to – fucking recuperate from that. Do understand that?”

...

(1) “If there is any damage in the house and all that stuff, I will come back after you?”
(2) ‘Mario, if you fuck me over money, you know you can’t hide from me right?”
(3) ‘You know I’m going to come after you, I’m going to find out where you live, I’m going to find out how you live, and I’m going to – I’m going to bury you. I’m going to feed you to the fish. Okay.  With a big brick around your neck. Do you understand that?”
(4) “I’m a very nice guy with a very short fuse. Okay. If this happens, to actually burn out my fuse,  I’m telling you, you will have none at all”.
(5) “Second thing is, you speak to anybody about this and it comes back to me at all, I guarantee you…”
(6) “And you leaving is not an option.”
(7) “You don’t have money, I will find you. I guarantee you I will find you, I will bury you. Then you can explain to your kids and the rest of your family how bad of a landlord I was. Okay. ‘Cause I can’t give a fuck, just five days ago, you had the money and you fucked with me.”
(8 ) “I will fucking take your kid and I will sell it. I don’t give a fuck.”
(9) ‘There are two ways of dealing with it: Whether legit or with a paper or with force. Okay and I’ve done both, and I’m not going to fuck around with you. I’ve tried to be nice with you…”

...

(1) “Yeah, you don’t – you shouldn’t – you can’t feel safe. Tonight you’re back in – in the house, I’m going to walk in there and I’m going to hang you.”
 

reveng

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
62
Points
480
dapaterson said:
A tenant owed his landlord, an Ottawa Police Officer, overdue rent.  The OPS officer made the following threats (all recorded by his tenant).  After four years on suspension with pay, the OPS officer was given a twelve month demotion.  Retained as a cop.  Not fired.  The trier of facts is a retired deputy chief from the York Regional Police.  So Cops don't think behaviour like this is a reason for firing.

https://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/news-and-community/resources/Cst-Mesic-Decision.pdf

There are some real gems on City/Municipal forces, that's for sure. It's like some of them had the movie Harsh Times playing on an endless loop when they were younger. And these are the guys/gals making the big bucks, aren't they? I've definitely had better encounters with OPP, RCMP etc to their credit. Maybe it has to do with them being more on their own and not having backup always so close at hand? Not sure if there is anything to this, or if it's just coincidence/perception.
 

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
216
Points
780
Theres probably only one LEO in Canada that thinks this guy should have kept his job.....unfortunately he must have been the trier.

 

reveng

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
62
Points
480
Bruce Monkhouse said:
Theres probably only one LEO in Canada that thinks this guy should have kept his job.....unfortunately he must have been the trier.

With luck like that, that dirty cop shouldn't need his job. I'd be heading straight to the casino or to buy a lottery ticket.

There should be a way for LEOs to refuse to serve with someone like this, essentially making him unemployable. Clean house from the inside, and preserve the integrity of the profession. Much better to handle things yourself, no? Before someone else decides enough is enough and comes in and does it for you, and likely overreaches in such a way that negatively impacts those doing their best everyday.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
850
Points
910
Bruce Monkhouse said:
Theres probably only one LEO in Canada that thinks this guy should have kept his job.....unfortunately he must have been the trier.

I wonder what the cop ‘has’ on that guy :)
 

reveng

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
62
Points
480
daftandbarmy said:
I wonder what the cop ‘has’ on that guy :)

The better question is why the subj officer and anyone else facilitating his continued service aren't being paid a very early morning visit by an anti-corruption task force, and being escorted away for some serious "reeducation".
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
502
Points
860
dapaterson said:
A tenant owed his landlord, an Ottawa Police Officer, overdue rent.  The OPS officer made the following threats (all recorded by his tenant).  After four years on suspension with pay, the OPS officer was given a twelve month demotion.  Retained as a cop.  Not fired.  The trier of facts is a retired deputy chief from the York Regional Police.  So Cops don't think behaviour like this is a reason for firing.

https://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/news-and-community/resources/Cst-Mesic-Decision.pdf

He’s a disgrace to the profession, and tarnishes the rest of us by association. I can’t wrap my head around how this guy wasn’t fired. I’m at least confident my outfit would have sent him packing, but it’s a huge piss off that he kept his job. Our system absolutely does fail sometimes, and this is one of those cases.

 

dapaterson

Army.ca Myth
Donor
Reaction score
508
Points
860
reveng said:
With luck like that, that dirty cop shouldn't need his job. I'd be heading straight to the casino or to buy a lottery ticket.

There should be a way for LEOs to refuse to serve with someone like this, essentially making him unemployable. Clean house from the inside, and preserve the integrity of the profession. Much better to handle things yourself, no? Before someone else decides enough is enough and comes in and does it for you, and likely overreaches in such a way that negatively impacts those doing their best everyday.

The head of the union in Ottawa is currently under investigation.  Again.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-police-professional-standards-section-investigating-alleged-recording-of-police-union-head-1.4992969

Ottawa's police currently has officers suspended for taking bribes, recording and ridiculing people, sexual harassment in the workplace...  there's no integrity there to preserve.

 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
502
Points
860
dapaterson said:
The head of the union in Ottawa is currently under investigation.  Again.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-police-professional-standards-section-investigating-alleged-recording-of-police-union-head-1.4992969

Ottawa's police currently has officers suspended for taking bribes, recording and ridiculing people, sexual harassment in the workplace...  there's no integrity there to preserve.

OPS is a dumpster fire right now and has been for a few years. I have a few friends in that organization, and I don’t envy them at all. I won’t be surprised if we pick up some laterals once our pay comes up. Their new Chief seems determined to try to start cleaning shop, and he’s built a new directorate that basically has this as a mandate, but he’s got his work cut out for him.
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Myth
Donor
Reaction score
508
Points
860
A few officers standing up against the brotherhood could be an impetus for change.

As long as Skof keeps being the only voice of the rank and file, well, cutting OPS budget and zero pay inreases will get my vote.
 

lenaitch

Full Member
Reaction score
93
Points
430
Interesting and fast moving discussion.

I have a hard time finding a comparison between a police officer and CAF member, in that I have a difficult time envisioning an instance where a CAF member goes out, on a regular basis, not in exercise or training, and executes their authority as independently as a police officer, often alone.  Perhaps there are but I readily can't think of one.  Civilian law enforcement and military life are completely different worlds.

The 'alone' part is significant, particularly for deployed forced, but even in urban areas, where back-up and supervision is often readily at hand, the exercise of lawful authority lies solely with the member who exercises it (or doesn't).  For deployed forces, the 'alone' part is more physical.  I once witnesses a city-wide 'PC assist' in Toronto, and it was a wonder to behold, but I have been both on the requesting and responding end of rural assistance, where the car is an hour away.  It is true that there are many other jobs and professions that are much more death or injury prone.  Provincial labour data proves this.  But I doubt there is any other job or profession that faces the risk of death or injury at the deliberate and often intentional hands of another person.  The 'routine' encounter has a deadly history.

Private security?  Where they exist they are doing the easy, but visible, 'find committing' stuff.  They have no authority to do anything else.  Any arrest they make still ties up the police.  They serve whoever contracts them, they are subject to very limited public oversight and are eligible for full unionization, including the ability to strike.  No thanks, not with my tax dollars.
 

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
115
Points
780
Brihard said:
I won’t be surprised if we pick up some laterals once our pay comes up.

Some NYPD "bad apples" are lateral transferred to FDNY. Does not happen in Canada, to the best of my knowledge.

eg: The Amadou Diallo incident in the Bronx.

Edward McMellon and Richard Murphy have been active duty firefighters for more than a decade, with Mr. McMellon currently in Brooklyn and Mr. Murphy in the Bronx.
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/03/nyregion/amadou-diallos-mother-asks-why-officer-who-shot-at-her-son-will-get-gun-back.html

lenaitch said:
Civilian law enforcement and military life are completely different worlds.

Same goes for the emergency services.

lenaitch said:
They serve whoever contracts them, they are subject to very limited public oversight and are eligible for full unionization, including the ability to strike.  No thanks, not with my tax dollars.

:goodpost:


 
Top