• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP officers told not to wear symbol depicting ‘thin blue line’

I agree entirely. People need to lead by example, and in the case of misconduct, people who blatantly behave in the very ways they would arrest someone else for, should be held to a higher standard by their CoC.

By looking the other way, or giving them a slap on the wrist, we enable the member to do similar things in the future. And let other members know, indirectly, what they can get away with.

Policing organizations need leadership, not management. Anytime I hear the word 'management' in a law enforcement context, I cringe...

Things such as pulling a firearm on a fellow officer because you were mad and only getting reassigned with a few days pay taken,
Lay this on top of the Edmonton cop "accidentally" firing on another officer and you can understand where the public can easily observe a clear double standard. Had I done the same thing at my club or at home, the result would've been a charge under CCC s.87(1) and the lifetime loss of my firearms and ownership privileges. Given my agency's approach to firearms safety, I would likely end up unemployed as well.

There are a lot of members just hanging on til the raise hits and pumps their pension.
Weren't we all. :)

Just my opinion, but it seemed to me that some of the most satisfied employees I have known actually did very little work. Showed no initiative. Were not team players. Never wanted to go that extra mile.

I knew a five-star drunk like that. Preferred playing hopscotch with ladies he picked up in bars. He seemed content to me.

Yes, it seems 'freedom vs. big government' 'live free and die' (that's the meme I was going for) takes on a new meaning (off-topic, I know, but, whatever).

Last edited:
So another little example of police protecting their own. Locally they charged 3 people for hosting a new years party which a bunch of people got Covid from. Publically named and shamed in the news by the police.

Meanwhile a local police officer had a new years party, they refused to name the officer and said they 'dealt with it internally' instead of laying charges for committing a civilian offence as a civilian.

Why do they consider it acceptable to be above the law? Why do they consider it acceptable to charge civilians and not hold themselves to the same standards? They want the backlash to stop against the police, they need to earn it.

Without more context that post means nothing. Evidence, witnesses, etc....remember, he/she can be disciplined for things that you and I might not even get a friendly knock on the door for.
Got a link?

So another little example of police protecting their own. Locally they charged 3 people for hosting a new years party which a bunch of people got Covid from. Publically named and shamed in the news by the police.

Meanwhile a local police officer had a new years party, they refused to name the officer and said they 'dealt with it internally' instead of laying charges for committing a civilian offence as a civilian.

Why do they consider it acceptable to be above the law? Why do they consider it acceptable to charge civilians and not hold themselves to the same standards? They want the backlash to stop against the police, they need to earn it.
On the surface I think most people would agree with you. Nobody like a double standard.

But without a link it’s hard to discuss what you are referring to.

So no one got infected, no one called the authorities by the sounds of it, probably someone said they went to somebody's house and it's enough to be disciplined at your workplace.

Your first story said people got charged because it came to light after there were infections.
Sounds like the difference between speeding and speeding into an accident. Different repercussions and you know it......

Who knows what the story is as they refuse to even provide the details.

A police officer who is tasked with enforcing the laws cannot follow them? Personally I don't agree with the whole lockdown nonsense, but that doesn't mean I don't follow the law. When they are willing to name and charge others over the same thing, why will they not do the same for them?

It is a double standard and you know it. The law doesn't differentiate between someone being infected and someone not, only that the event violated lockdown. Follow the laws and there is no issue, if you aren't willing to follow them what are you doing as a police officer?

You could have stopped at "who knows?"....the rest is your prejudice.

Reactions: J.J
It’s worth noting that internal police discipline, as an administrative law process, has a lower standard of proof and looser rules around evidence. A matter that could not succesfully be prosecuted as a statutory offence to a standard of beyond a reasonable doubt may still be successfully handled as an internal disciplinary matter.

Last edited:
In the interests of transparency, my local police service publishes the results of all internal disciplinary proceedings on their website for a period of six months after the decision date. OPIRD hearing results can be viewed here
That’s a good idea actually. Might not be fun if we get a slap on the wrist, but it’s transparent & the public can’t accuse them of sweeping things under the rug.

I’ve found some services are great at holding members accountable, in reasonable ways. Decent leadership all around.

Some are way too political, and their idea of accountability is witch-hunts. Absurd ones at that. I feel sorry for those officers - stabbed in the back by their own service.

And some sweep everything under the rug and have zero accountability for their members. (More common in small services I find. cough Lethbridge cough

Bloody idiots.
Reminded me of an old pre-camera-phone TV show where citizens complained they heard two officers crack about an injured man's watch, "Takes a licking, but keeps on ticking!" ( for those old enough to remember the old Timex commercials ) after they pulled his severed arm out of a gutter.

Obviously wasn't the time or place for "gallows humour" and got each of them a reprimand. :)

Back