• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP to goto Iraq

the only way I can view this topic is to edit or post a response... strange

Sorry guys but Roto 2 will be made up of reservests from 31, 32 and 33 brigade out of good ol‘ontario!

Do you know how many troops they are asking
out of the reserves for 32 Brigade?

IIRC, the various units in the Toronto area
was asked to contribute about 50 troops total.

Ghost, where did you hear that?!? Are you talking about Afghanistan or Bosnia?

Ok. Let‘s nip these rumours in the bud. First of all, the first Roto to Afghanistan is Roto 0 and is the responsibility of LFCA. Roto 1, the next roto, is not 100% but is most likely going to happen and if and when it does, it will be the responsibility of SQFT. How the positions get filled is up to the Area responsible for the particular Roto. There has been no commitment to fill and or plan, at this time, for any more Rotos there after Roto 1.

I was just kidding. I thought our reg force friends would get a laugh out of the idea of sending a battle group of reserves to afganastan for a roto :) (Especially considering the interesting problems roto 13 seems to be running into sending just a company)
As unplasuable as it is, i think it would actually be pretty neat in the future to send actual reserve regiments (even at whole platoon level)

Wow. Look how riled up people get when they read some crap on a bulletin board. Remember folks, don‘t believe everything you read, if Ghost wouldn‘t have admitted his joke by now, this would already be circulating on the Armoury floor....

Yup.
And people would have been saying "im guarenteed a position on roto 2 to afganastan, seriously, im going. My ops ‘o‘ said he put me on the list.
Then they tell their girlfriends who cry and sob begging him not to go to war
Then tell their parents who call the armories saying they dont want their son to be forced to go to afghanstan
Then go to clothing stores and try to get operation kit that they are not entitled to which screws it over for the guys who DO have to get the kit (whom now have to jump through hoops to get anything)

Horrible chain of events eh

Ottawa rules out Iraq peacekeeping option
Contribution likely to be limited to police and humanitarian assistance, officials say
2:48 AM | FULL STORY

http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1051125579759&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Iraqis offered Canadian police, planes
Canada has already committed $106M to post-war plans

STEPHEN THORNE
CANADIAN PRESS

Canada sent a diplomatic note to the United States today offering police, prison experts, legal officers, combat engineers and transport planes to help in reconstructing postwar Iraq.
The offer includes an expanded role for three Hercules aircraft operating in the region and "select units" of the military‘s Disaster Assistance Response Team, or DART, should they be required.

"We have planes there - we will use three of them to transport medication and transport food and so on to the different parts of Iraq," Chrétien said.

"We have offered to help them in policing and in training judges . . . There are engineers that will be available to help restore water and electricity," Chrétien said after holding his weekly cabinet meeting in Toronto as a symbolic gesture in the face of the SARS crisis.

Defence Minister John McCallum said about 150 DART members would be offered. He said Canada could not come up with all the options Americans requested in a diplomatic note two weeks ago.

"They might have wanted a large number of soldiers but … we committed 1,800 soldiers to Afghanistan in August and a further 1,800 six months later," said McCallum.

"When I discussed this with (U.S. Defense Secretary Donald) Rumsfeld, I made it very clear that this would preclude substantial numbers of soldiers in Iraq, whether it was a situation of war or a situation of peace.

"He understood that and he accepted that."

NDP Leader Jack Layton said Canada should be working through the United Nations, not the United States.

"It‘s good that they‘re considering some help in Iraq, but let‘s hope it‘s in the context of some sort of United Nations involvement," Layton said.

"That‘s the big question mark right now. Are we essentially going to play along with the U.S. rebuilding strategy or are we going to work in a multilateral context?"

He said Canada should have played a stronger role in trying to convince the Americans to go the UN route. U.S. President George W. Bush is "**** -bent on his own direction" in world affairs, said Layton.

Usually, DART is comprised of more than 200 military personnel kept outside the regular rotation for the express purpose of humanitarian relief.

Formed in 1996 to respond to humanitarian crises, DART is not a traditional military unit, though it includes a security platoon, medical staff and combat engineers.

Doctors, a key element of any DART mission, are in short supply, especially given the commitment to send a year‘s worth of troops - up to 4,000 - to Afghanistan.

Sources said a final determination about what is needed will be made by the Americans. There was some doubt whether any DART members would be required, though McCallum said he hopes they will be sent.

"We put it on the table. We have the capacity and I think (the Iraqis) need purer water."

Canada has committed about $106 million to humanitarian efforts in Iraq. More than $60 million has been disbursed through the United Nations and other organizations to help meet basic needs such as food, water, health care and protection from land mines.

A law enforcement package - including RCMP and provincial police, along with judicial and Corrections officials - was also offered today.

"Canada is pleased to make this further contribution to help meet the immediate needs of the Iraqi people," Chrétien said.

"We will continue working closely with the international community to determine how best Canada can help Iraq build a future that is secure and stable."

There are already more than 1,275 Canadian Forces personnel in the Gulf region in the war against terrorism, including two warships and two Aurora aircraft, as well as the Hercules transport planes.

Canada has committed two rotations of between 1,500 and 2,000 troops to the NATO-led, UN-sanctioned International Security Assistance Force in Kabul, Afghanistan, this August.

I‘m wondering where the Star got 4000 troops figure from.
And I‘m still wondering how will CF meet even 3000 troops.

Back