• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Change of Marital Status & Name Change - which ID required?

Sparkplugs

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay, I've searched every combination of "marital status change," "name change," "just got married" and "ID requirements" that I can think of, and I'm not finding what I need.  If someone can find it, and point me in the right direction, and it was in plain sight, I'll be more than happy to give myself a swirly for being a turnip.

Here's the deal.  I got married in April to another CF member.  It was done in Vegas, so we had to wait awhile for the license to make its way back up here.  Now that it's here, I need to know what kind of ID I need to bring with it to change my status.  My husband attempted to go in to do it once, but they said that it was birth certificate or nothing -- ie, they wanted him to have my birth certificate to change it, then when I had to go in, I would need his birth certificate.  When he went in to do it, they didn't need his birth certificate, just his military ID was fine, they just wanted mine.  I was under the impression that a current passport had the same, if not more info on it than a birth certificate, but I'm just wondering if there's a reference somewhere that outlines exactly what to do when two CF members get married.  So I'm asking, can I use my passport for this?  Reason being, we just moved, and my birth certificate is in one of the "important stuff boxes," and I've been searching, but I have yet to find it.

Also -- I'm currently on maternity leave, and signed up my then-unborn fetus for PSHCP when he was 4 months from being born.  He's now 5 months old, and in the 9 months since I signed up for it, I haven't received any info.  I called the BOR, and was directed to this 'positive enrolment' website, but the clerk I spoke to gave me the wrong contract number and plan number and just said, "Well, I don't know what to do then, you'll just have to wait to see if your card comes in."  I have $750 worth of prescription receipts sitting here that I could really use some of the cash back from, so it's getting kind of important that this gets figured out. 

I'm more than happy to go back to/call the BOR, but I'd like to have some references or tips handy on how to deal with this.  I'll worry about changing my last name later, hahaha, I just want to get these who things done first.

Thank you so much for your time!

From the DND site:  PSHCP General Inquiries 1-800-267-6542

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/hd-sd/psh-rss/index-eng.asp

There's also the TBS site, at http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/hr-rh/bp-rasp/benefits-avantages/hcp-rss/overview-contexte-eng.asp, that has numbers for Sun Life, the claims admininstrator: 

1-888-757-7427 (toll-free in North America)
(613) 247-5100 in the National Capital Region

Hope one of those works for you.

(EDIT: to make it clear the second set of #s is for Sun Life who administer the plan)

for your name change you need a copy of the marriage certificate and his birth certificate.  He will need to add the marriage certificate and a copy of your birth certifcate to his file.

Now to help you with this - copies of the birth certificates should be on your respective pers files so find a good clerk to pull your files and make copies for PA to each others files and add the marriage certificate.  Simple now isn't it.  Make sure they actually publish your name change.

CountDC said:
for your name change you need a copy of the marriage certificate and his birth certificate.  He will need to add the marriage certificate and a copy of your birth certifcate to his file.

Now to help you with this - copies of the birth certificates should be on your respective pers files so find a good clerk to pull your files and make copies for PA to each others files and add the marriage certificate.  Simple now isn't it.  Make sure they actually publish your name change.

Thank you so much -- I know I have a copy of my birth certificate in with my deployment package, and I'm sire his is on file, so that's something I never thought of.  Thank you so much for that info!  I actually went down there yesterday at 10 mins before 2, and was told that no one could deal with me, because I came in too close to closing time. Grr. 

And thank you to dapaterson as well -- those are the sites I have, and I'd love to be able to use them, but no one's been able to tell me what my plan and contract numbers would be.  I've been paying the premiums for this for 9 months, and I'd like to get some use out of it.  I think I need to haul my butt in there and refuse to move until someone gets me that contract number, hahaha!

Thanks so much for the info, guys, it's very much appreciated.

Contract number is 55555; with that in hand, perhaps Sun Life will give you a certificate number?

For medical your number is your SN but replace the letter with a M.

Dental the plan number is 55777 and your SN.

ahh - you got clerks that believe closing time means you close 15 minute prior so you can be ready to go.  Sorry for that, I always hated that myself.  To me closing time means closing time - anyone showing to the counter prior to that gets served.  If it is something that is going to take a lengthy period to deal with then I will either take the info and get back to them or make an appointment with them.  I remember having a CWO that would crap all over any clerk that deared to lock a cabinet before closing time or not have the cabinets open when the day started.  Policy was hours 0730 to 1400 hours then the cabinets were open and you were at work for those hours.  walking in the door at 0730 or leaving at 1400 meant you were late or leaving early and a customer didn't get the service they deserved.

Imagine if stores operated like that.  Standing in line with a shopping cart full and be told sorry you have to leave and come back another day because we close in 10 minutes. 

Maybe I am just getting too old and long in the tooth for todays military but I still believe in customer service.  Hell I am in Ottawa and answer my phone - that alone is a miracle in this place of ignore that ringing thing or unplug it (ok I only knew one person that unplugged it on days he didn't want to answer it - the flashing light annoyed him).

Good luck in getting things taken care of.

CountDC said:
For medical your number is your SN but replace the letter with a M.

Dental the plan number is 55777 and your SN.

ahh - you got clerks that believe closing time means you close 15 minute prior so you can be ready to go.  Sorry for that, I always hated that myself.  To me closing time means closing time - anyone showing to the counter prior to that gets served.  If it is something that is going to take a lengthy period to deal with then I will either take the info and get back to them or make an appointment with them.  I remember having a CWO that would crap all over any clerk that deared to lock a cabinet before closing time or not have the cabinets open when the day started.  Policy was hours 0730 to 1400 hours then the cabinets were open and you were at work for those hours.  walking in the door at 0730 or leaving at 1400 meant you were late or leaving early and a customer didn't get the service they deserved.

Imagine if stores operated like that.  Standing in line with a shopping cart full and be told sorry you have to leave and come back another day because we close in 10 minutes. 

Maybe I am just getting too old and long in the tooth for todays military but I still believe in customer service.  Hell I am in Ottawa and answer my phone - that alone is a miracle in this place of ignore that ringing thing or unplug it (ok I only knew one person that unplugged it on days he didn't want to answer it - the flashing light annoyed him).

Good luck in getting things taken care of.

Thanks again, guys -- I have to wait until mid-next week to try it again, or I have to do it with a 5 month old in tow, and that's always fun.  :crybaby:  Thank you so much for the info, and I'll be sure to make it into the office at least half an hour before closing this time, hehe.  I wonder what would happen if an aircrew showed up 10 minutes before a ramp time and I said, "Sorry Sir, you're late, you can't have the plane anymore!"  Don't think that would go over very well, hahaha!  I spent enough time as a waitress/bartender to know that customer service is important, even in this day and age. 

Anyway, many thanks to CountDC and dapaterson both!    ;D

Back