• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-establishing a Canadian Armoured Brigade in Europe

I think that web site is/ was managed by Mike Dorosch, a Calgary Highlander formerly of this site.

FJAG said:
Just on that concept, I've always liked CanadianSoldiers for WW2 establishments. It's always interesting to see the variety of units that make up the higher formations.

:cheers:

We had a railway Company in Europe?

Headquarters, No. 2 Canadian Railway Operating Group, RCE

1st Canadian Railway Operating Company

2nd Canadian Railway Operating Company

1st Canadian Railway Workshop Company

1st Canadian Railway Telegraph Company, RCCS

CloudCover said:
I think that web site is/ was managed by Mike Dorosch, a Calgary Highlander formerly of this site.

I thought that I posted this yesterday but it must have gone into the big bin in the sky.

You're right. Here's the webmaster page from Canadian Soldiers.

Colin P said:
We had a railway Company in Europe?

And this is what they did.    https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/themes/defence/caf/militaryhistory/dhh/reports/ahq-reports/ahq046.pdf

Blackadder1916 said:
And this is what they did.    https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/themes/defence/caf/militaryhistory/dhh/reports/ahq-reports/ahq046.pdf

thank you, I am once again enlightened!  :nod:

FJAG said:
Once again Russia shows point blank that it won't hesitate to roll it's forces when it feels it's interest is threatened.

I think most countries will do what's necessary to protect their interests.  The US wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing.

stellarpanther said:
I think most countries will do what's necessary to protect their interests.  The US wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing.

Even the US stops short of this:

51rFT-93C-L._SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

and this:

czech-republic-soviet-invasion-remembrance.jpg

In each of Hungary and Czechoslovakia (and Georgia and the Ukraine and now in Belarus) the actions are being taken to suppress the will of the people to be free of a totalitarian regime.

I think it's more about Russia not wanting another country joining NATO right on it's border.  I know there is debate as to whether there was a promise made after the USSR broke up that NATO wouldn't expand eastward but maybe if they didn't expand Russia wouldn't need to do what it has been doing.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2014/11/06/did-nato-promise-not-to-enlarge-gorbachev-says-no/

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/newly-declassified-documents-gorbachev-told-nato-wouldnt-23629

stellarpanther said:
I think it's more about Russia not wanting another country joining NATO right on it's border.  I know there is debate as to whether there was a promise made after the USSR broke up that NATO wouldn't expand eastward but maybe if they didn't expand Russia wouldn't need to do what it has been doing.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2014/11/06/did-nato-promise-not-to-enlarge-gorbachev-says-no/

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/newly-declassified-documents-gorbachev-told-nato-wouldnt-23629

This isn't about NATO expanding. It's the people of Belarus fed up being led by a dictator. By all the things that I have read most Belarusians like the relationship they have with Russia and don't want to change that. They just want to be rid of Lukashenko.

FJAG said:
Even the US stops short of this:

51rFT-93C-L._SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

and this:

czech-republic-soviet-invasion-remembrance.jpg

In each of Hungary and Czechoslovakia (and Georgia and the Ukraine and now in Belarus) the actions are being taken to suppress the will of the people to be free of a totalitarian regime.

While for the most part, American post-WWII interventions haven't been nearly as extreme as the Soviet/Russian invasions of their neighbours, the US certainly does have a pretty extensive history of using military force to enforce their will...even against democratically elected governments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_interventions_by_the_United_States

I'm certainly not justifying or supporting recent/current/likely future Russian actions...just clarifying some historical facts.

FJAG said:
This isn't about NATO expanding. It's the people of Belarus fed up being led by a dictator. By all the things that I have read most Belarusians like the relationship they have with Russia and don't want to change that. They just want to be rid of Lukashenko.

Perhaps you are right but one way or another, this should not be our concern and I hope we stay out of it as we should have with Ukraine.  How many times have the Americans criticized the Russians for siding with Latin American countries which have normally considered the American's backyard.  This is Russia's backyard.  It can't be both ways.

stellarpanther said:
Perhaps you are right but one way or another, this should not be our concern and I hope we stay out of it as we should have with Ukraine.  How many times have the Americans criticized the Russians for siding with Latin American countries which have normally considered the American's backyard.  This is Russia's backyard.  It can't be both ways.

Should Poland have been our concern in 1939?  What about Belgium/France/Netherlands in 1940?  When does it become our concern?

GR66 said:
Should Poland have been our concern in 1939?  What about Belgium/France/Netherlands in 1940?  When does it become our concern?

Agreed, every sovereign nation can choose its own destiny, west or east. Even though it happens no natiom should be allowed to impose its will against on another nation that doesn't want it. However it does happen, anyone that has DWAN access, visit CFOSINT groups acims page and look up their latest reports on Eastern Europe. Russia is playing a very calculating game here. One they are making sure the results in Ukraine, Belarus and else where are favorable.

GR66 said:

First of all these are different times now.  As for when it becomes out concern, the answer is when it directly risks harming our national well being.  If Russian annexed the entire Ukraine or Belarus, will that affect the the average Canadian?  I would say no.
What if the Mexicans or another country in Latin America or even Canada decided to shift towards Russia, do you think the US would allow that?  I would say no and we'd probably find American tanks crossing our border.  It's the same thing there.  We don't need to control the world.

stellarpanther said:
First of all these are different times now.  As for when it becomes out concern, the answer is when it directly risks harming our national well being.  If Russian annexed the entire Ukraine or Belarus, will that affect the the average Canadian?  I would say no.
What if the Mexicans or another country in Latin America or even Canada decided to shift towards Russia, do you think the US would allow that?  I would say no and we'd probably find American tanks crossing our border.  It's the same thing there.  We don't need to control the world.

Ask the people of Ukraine how different the times are now. 

No idea how old you are, but it wasn't long ago that Russians occupied half of Europe.  I'm not sure how you equate the USA to that.  West Germany, Japan, Italy all financially supported and lifted out of near total destruction after the war by the USA to become free, liberal, democracies.  How did the Russian occupied nations of Eastern Europe fare? 

Sadly, you like many Canadians seem quite happy to place the USA and Russia on the same level when you judge their international relations.  Is the US perfect?  Certainly not!  However, I don't think any person with a reasonable understanding of history could suggest that the actions of the US are anywhere near as bad as those of Russia.

As for the Ukraine, specifically in the eastern part of the country, most of those people seem to have ties closer to Russia and if asked, they would probably vote to become part of Russia.  What gives the west the right to get involved?  We are not the moral voice of the world.  Nobody voted for NATO or the EU to be the Police for all of Europe.  The NATO mandate is to protect other NATO countries and these are not NATO countries nor are they threatening a NATO country. If the US invades Venezuela, should Russia and/or China get involved as they have interests in that country?

stellarpanther said:
As for the Ukraine, specifically in the eastern part of the country, most of those people seem to have ties closer to Russia and if asked, they would probably vote to become part of Russia.

Apparently November 1991 never happened.

dapaterson said:
Apparently November 1991 never happened.

However like the deconialization of Africa, the USSR broke apart on political lines, not necessarily cultural or ethnic ones. While eastern Ukraine has been heavily influenced by Russia, sometimes people want into Russia, and some want out like Chechnya. Problem of course is no one is allowed to leave, and in that part of the world, peaceful transitions of power are not a norm.

GR66 said:
Sadly, you like many Canadians seem quite happy to place the USA and Russia on the same level when you judge their international relations.  Is the US perfect?  Certainly not!  However, I don't think any person with a reasonable understanding of history could suggest that the actions of the US are anywhere near as bad as those of Russia.

Well, there was that awkward 'Vietnam Phase', for both France and the USA....

Back