• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recce Course

Scuba_Dave

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have searched the forum, and after having only found one "topic" covering this subject (Pretty good read, I suggest you all search it lol), I thought I would ask a few questions on the topic. Only a few simple queries really. #1 Im looking to up my rucksack regiment. So the question being, as one aspiring to Basic Recce and beyond, what would your rucksack weight be? #2 Is swimming a factor? I know that a few courses went through on the West Coast and did assaults from MCDVs. Is that a commonality or a trial run type thing? I only ask as I am not the strongest swimmer, and if it is a requirement would like to get a jump start on improving my fish abilities. Last but not least. From the previous topic post I read that there were pre-reqs Gwagon and Comms were specifically mentioned. As this prior post was near 10 years ago, just wondering if this is still the standard or if the pre-reqs have changed.

Thank you in advance!

~Scuba
 
L

LightFighter

Guest
Getting a bit ahead of yourself, going off your posts, your VOT to Infantry went through quite awhile ago, but you are haven't been course loaded on a DP1?  Also, you appear to be waiting on a  VOT to Fire Fighter?

Don't expect to go on Basic Recce shortly after getting to battalion.  You will still have to show you are competent as an Infantryman, physically fit, etc plus it may be awhile before Basic Recce is run at whatever battalion you end up at.  You will do time in a Rifle Coy, before having a chance at Basic Recce(plus, your Chain of Command must support you going on that course).


For the rucking weight, slowly build yourself up.. if someone says 80lbs, don't just throw in 80lbs into a ruck and go.  Whatever your current weight is for ruck marching, slowly add to it and walk on varied terrain, eg not just flat roads, if you have trails nearby ruck there as well, etc.

Part of the course is on the water, so you may want to work on your swimming, if anything to improve confidence on the water.


 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
3,480
Points
1,060
LightFighter said:
For the rucking weight, slowly build yourself up.. if someone says 80lbs, don't just throw in 80lbs into a ruck and go.  Whatever your current weight is for ruck marching, slowly add to it and walk on varied terrain, eg not just flat roads, if you have trails nearby ruck there as well, etc.

Plus 1 to that. Keep it at about 30-40 lbs for a couple of months, then slowly increase the weight after that. Too heavy, too soon, can wreck your body.
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
327
Points
1,130
Scuba_Dave said:
Im looking to up my rucksack regiment. So the question being, as one aspiring to Basic Recce and beyond, what would your rucksack weight be?

LightFighter said:
For the rucking weight, slowly build yourself up.. if someone says 80lbs, don't just throw in 80lbs into a ruck and go.  Whatever your current weight is for ruck marching, slowly add to it and walk on varied terrain, eg not just flat roads, if you have trails nearby ruck there as well, etc.

daftandbarmy said:
Keep it at about 30-40 lbs for a couple of months, then slowly increase the weight after that. Too heavy, too soon, can wreck your body.

See also,

All things ruck march
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13745.0
6 pages.

Ruck
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ruck&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=M61fWfvUM-qfXq-Pu_gP&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1499444010281

 

Scuba_Dave

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
LightFighter said:
Getting a bit ahead of yourself, going off your posts, your VOT to Infantry went through quite awhile ago, but you are haven't been course loaded on a DP1?  Also, you appear to be waiting on a  VOT to Fire Fighter?

Long story short, was on my DP1. Got injured. Was going to VOT FF, finished everything including the FF fitness test only to find out I needed a science in high school. I've decided to stay in the Army and stick to my guns with my desire to be in the infantry.
 

Scuba_Dave

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
daftandbarmy said:
Plus 1 to that. Keep it at about 30-40 lbs for a couple of months, then slowly increase the weight after that. Too heavy, too soon, can wreck your body.

Thanks for the info. Im currently lugging around 50ish pounds. Im not looking to dive off into the deep end, just looking to set goals is all.
 

Scuba_Dave

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
LightFighter said:
Don't expect to go on Basic Recce shortly after getting to battalion.  You will still have to show you are competent as an Infantryman, physically fit, etc plus it may be awhile before Basic Recce is run at whatever battalion you end up at.  You will do time in a Rifle Coy, before having a chance at Basic Recce(plus, your Chain of Command must support you going on that course).

Totally understand. Wouldnt expect anything else. Trying to set myself up for success however. Even if Recce is not in my future, setting attainable goals in order to make me better at being a riflemen can't hurt  ;D
 

CEDE NULLIS

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I echo the above. I wouldn't go tearing around with too much weight - especially as it sounds like you will be on your DP1 soon.

I'd keep it around 30-40 lbs and if it goes alright increase your speed / distance. Just my £0.02.

Best of luck with DP1 - don't injure yourself first!
 

Scuba_Dave

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
CEDE NULLIS said:
I echo the above. I wouldn't go tearing around with too much weight - especially as it sounds like you will be on your DP1 soon.

I'd keep it around 30-40 lbs and if it goes alright increase your speed / distance. Just my £0.02.

Best of luck with DP1 - don't injure yourself again!

Excellent point! And thanks. Maybe for the time being just swimming will be a better thing to tackle vice trying to be a ruck god lol
 
Top