• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

Had to give my two cents on this one. I'm a big salmon bb-q fan. Used to be of the opinion that salmon was supposed to be planked on the Bar B-Q with just a bit of salt, and pepper. A couple of years ago had this one thrown at me, and for anyone who likes salmon, should really try it at least once. Prepare your plank, and salmon as usual for bar b-q, before you put plank, and salmon on barb-q spread a generous amount of mayonaise, thats right i said mayonaise on top of the salmon. put er on the heat, and cook until done. The mayo will brown up, but I have never burned the salmon, and I have caught the plank on fire before doing this. I have also done salmon this way in the oven on broil, and it turned out fabulous. The salmon turns out moist, and perfectly done without fail.
Corn on the Cob lovers, soak your corn on the cob, with husks still on in water for a couple hours, or more, make sure it is good, and wet. Remove corn from water, throw directly on the BarB-Q, husk and all. The husk will burn, but dont worry. It is done when it looks like it is burned beyond recognition. When it looks like you should take it off the grill, and throw it as far in the bushes as you can get it, then it is perfect. Remove husk, or all the burned remains, and the corn has been steamed to perfection. I do this one quite a bit, last time I burned the corn a little, because I didn't soak it enough, but definately a must try.
Any oyster lovers out there must try this one. Oyster in the half shell, on the barbie, with a splash of Vodka or other suitable strong liquid, and leave them be until they are bubbling real good, just a few mins on a real hot grill.If your real adventurous add a couple drops of tabasco, or jalapino sauce, then look out teeth, and gums.....
Any sausage grillers out there have to do this one. I always burned my sausages on the BarB-Q, until I learned this trick. Grill the sausages until they are suitably cooked, but not too charred, have a pan with beer in it, or wine if you prefer, sitting on the bar b-q, and place the cooked sausages in this. People will come help them selves, you don't have to worry about them burning, and they will continue to cook in the wine or beer.
happy grillin.........

Since moving to the southwest, we’ve really started to like this. Usually mixed with potatoes or eggs, and rolled into burritos for breakfast.

Chorizo - Great for wild game too. A lot of people use their javelina. Deer or elk work too.

1 lb beef or pork (or wild game)
1/2 lb pork butt
1/2 lb pork fat
1 bunch (4 to 6 oz) fresh cilantro, chopped, about 1 cup -
1 fresh serrano or jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar - have also used rice wine vinegar, changes the flavor a little
1 tblspn New Mexico or other dried chile powder
1 tblspn sweet Hungarian paprika
2 tspns kosher salt
1 1/2 tspn whole cumin seeds
1 tspn ground cumin
1/2 tspn coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tspn ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tspn ground coriander

If you want to add more bite leave the seeds in the peppers. Some people keep a bag of all these spices mixed, minus fresh peppers & cilantro, that they use for all my mexican food. Throw in a couple spoonfuls with a lb of burger and you have taco meat, thin slice a roast or chicken breasts and you have fajita’s. Some also use dried jalapeno’s & dried cilantro in their spice baggie.

hello everyone , and we(my boyfriend and i) created this recipe.

2 fillet bassa fish
2 tbs ginger/garlic paste
1/2 can hot salsa
1 tbs hot sauce/ ketchup
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs whostersher sauce
salt/pepper to taste
2 cups water
some parsley(to your taste)

mix all ingredients together except the water, put bassa in a baking dish, spread mix on the fish,add water,and bake for 25 min @350, serve over rice, pasta or vegies garnish with a touch of lime. enjoy with your loved ones ;D
bon apetite from me and c.

I love ribs but have had marginal success on the BBQ at home. Looking for a sure fire way to prepare pork ribs (beef ribs hard to come by around here). Might try to adapt Hot Lips suggestions for chicken wings or beef ribs. Perhaps some BBQ guru out there has a secret recipe they are willing to share.

Bean dip

2 cans (15 oz each) refried beans
1 cup green onions
2 cups cheddar or marble cheese (shredded, obviously)
3-8 Tbsps of hot sauce (depending on taste)
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin

Place all ingredients into saucepan, place over medium heat until cheese is melted, eat with chips.

cooking with karona beer  :) see the food channel
besides i don't drink ;D but c loves the ribs cooked in karona beer. ;)

flyboy140 said:
I love ribs but have had marginal success on the BBQ at home. Looking for a sure fire way to prepare pork ribs (beef ribs hard to come by around here). Might try to adapt Hot Lips suggestions for chicken wings or beef ribs. Perhaps some BBQ guru out there has a secret recipe they are willing to share.
There were two awesome recipes for ribs in the "ribs" thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/44787.0.html

snowy said:
cooking with karona beer  :) see the food channel
besides i don't drink ;D but c loves the ribs cooked in karona beer. ;)
It's actually "Corona" and it is more enjoyable as a beverage with a slice of lime in it...then cooked with  8)
Ahhh yes Corona or for those who like a little sip Coronita

HL

Corona, the Mexican version of anAmerican taste worse the pee Beer!

Any beer that requires citrus fruit and cryo storage to be (barely) palatable, is no beer at all.

See below a link to recipes using the great taste of Corona  ;D

http://www.coronaextra.ca/Extra/recipe_main.aspx

HL

My favorite Jerk Chicken recipe:

1 tablespoon Ground allspice
1 tablespoon Dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Ground sage
3/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons Garlic powder or fresh
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/4 cup Olive oil
1/4 cup Soy sauce
3/4 cup White Vinegar
1/2 cup Orange juice
1 Lime juice
1 Scotch bonnet pepper (habanero)
3 Green onions -- finely chopped
1 cup Onion -- finely chopped
4 to 6 chicken breasts

Seed and finely chop Scotch Bonnet pepper. Trim chicken of fat. In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil, say sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice.
Add the Scotch Bonnet pepper, onion, and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible.
Preheat an outdoor grill.
Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. While grilling, baste with the marinade. Bring the leftover marinade to a boil and serve on the side for dipping.

Note: Scotch Bonnet peppers, also known as "Habaneros" are the hottest of the capsicum peppers, they're truly incendiary. Substitute Serranos of Thai Bird Chiles if you can't find them.

When I find my chicken and gumbo recipe, I'll post it.

A Carnivore's Pleasure

Whole tenderloin  of beef
Field mushrooms of choice
Shallots
Mini potatoes

Preheat oven to 400F

Take one whole tenderlion of beef.
Wash, pat dry with paper towel.
Rub with spices of choice, ex.:
a)  fresh ground black pepper and coarse salt, or
b)  Montreal steak spice, or
d)  Cajun BBQ spice, or
c)  whatever turns your crank.
In large pan braise tenderloin (keep drippings in pan when done).
Place tenderloin on roasting pan; roast at 400 for 20-25 minutes (20 minutes should be rare).
Turn oven off.
Remove tenderloin from oven, wrap in tin foil, and place back in over for 10-15 minutes.
Remove tenderloin from oven, place of stovetop for 10 minutes to cool before carving.

Slice mushrooms, shallots and mini potatoes.
In pan with drippings saute potatoes while tenderloin roasts.
Add mushrooms and shallots in time to warm all before carving tenderloin.

Eggplant Rollups

2 medium eggplants
12 ounces tofu
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 teaspoons dried, crushed oregano
2 to 3 teaspoons dried, crushed basil olive oil
1 (28 ounce) can marinara sauce

Peel eggplants and slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Salt lightly and place on nonstick or lightly oiled baking sheet in broiler about 5 to 6 inches from heat, for about 5 minutes each side, until just soft enough to be rolled easily. Allow to cool until able to handle.

Meanwhile, place tofu, salt and spices in food processor and blend briefly until smooth.

Lightly oil a casserole dish with olive oil and spread a few spoonsful of marinara sauce in the bottom. Spread each slice of eggplant with the tofu mixture and roll up, then place rolls side by side in casserole dish. Cover each layer of eggplant rolls with marinara sauce, then bake at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes.

I'm drowning in drool. Good thing that Nomex dries quickly.

Along with all that food you need some decent vino.

Just finished a batch of home-made Blackberry Wine, and will be making 2 more batches before the summer ends.  Here's the recipe if anyone else wants to try it.  Of note, because it is fresh fruit, I let it sit longer to allow the sediment to settle and also give longer settling periods. All of the 'special' ingredients can be picked up at a local wine-making store.  Reportedly this recipe works well with all fruits, but the amount of sugar needed will vary with the sweetness of the fruit used.  Gave me over 30 bottles of 750 ml size with a 14.5% kick.

BLACKBERRY WINE: HOME RECIPE

35 POUNDS FRESH BLACKBERRY
4 KILOGRAMS OF SUGAR (more if berries are not fully ripe, might use up to 6 kilos)
1 TSP YEAST NUTRIENT (enhances growth)
1 TSP BENTONITE (clearing agent)
2 TSP CITRIC ACID or ACID BLEND (raises acid content)
2 TSP PECTIC ENZYME (reduces cloudiness from crushed fruits)
1 or 2 PKG (5 G @) EC-118 CHAMPAGNE YEAST (saccharomyces bayanus; for fermenting)
1 APPLE (preferably sweet or bland tasting; absorb bitter aftertaste from berries)
1 or 2 PKG (3.6 G @) SULFITE (stabilizer, antimocrobial, and antioxidant; reduces bacteria)
1 or 2 PKG (? G @) FINISHING or SWEETENING BLEND (liquid invert sugar and sorbate)
1 or 2 PKG (3.6 G @) POTASIUM SORBATE (fermentation inhibitor)

Day 1: Place all frozen picked berries in primary fermentor and let defrost. (I picked them last year and flash-froze them until I was ready to do this batch)
Day 2: Add 2 liters of boiled water after water has cooled.  Stir as required.
Day 3A: Mash and stir berry and water mixture.
Put 4 liters of water in a large pot, add 4 kg of sugar, stir until boiling.  (If using more sugar, add it here)
Let boiled water and sugar mixture cool slightly to avoid damaging fermentor.
Add boiled water and sugar mixture to berries in fermentor and stir thoroughly.
Day 3B: Boil 0.5 liters of water and let cool.
Add yeast nutrient, bentonite, blend and enzyme powders to cooled water and mix.
Add mixed powders and water to fermentor.  Stir until blended with crushed fruit and water.
Add more boiled and cooled water until liquid is less than 2 inches from lip of fermentor.
Day 3C: Wait until temperature is below 27 degrees for next stage.
Measure specific gravity with hydrometer (will be hard to read due to sticking in berries).
Measured should be about +/- 1.10, or close to that (1.11 for this batch).
Measure temperature with thermometer.
Measurement should be under 27 degrees Celsius before next step (may be next day).
Once temperature is below 27 degrees, sprinkle 1 package of EC-118 yeast on top.
Slowly stir in yeast so that it sits both above and below the berries floating at the top.
Day 3D: Peel the apple and cut into slices.
Insert apple slices on top of berries and push down so they sit just below the surface. 
Apply air lock and let sit for 1-2 days. 
It is recommended you re-stir the mixture at least every 2 days for this first stage. 
Day 6: Mixture should be fermenting, with air bubbles from the airlock every 5-10 seconds.
Check that the berries do not all float to the top and block the airlock.  Stir under as required. 
Day 9: Mixture should be fermenting, with air bubbles from the airlock every 2-3 seconds.
Check that the berries do not all float to the top and block the airlock.  Stir under as required. 
Day 14: Mixture may have stopped fermenting.
If unsure if process is complete, add another package of yeast, stir in, and let sit longer.
Day 20: Measure the specific gravity, which should be less than 1.005 (1.002 for this batch). 
Day 22: Measure the specific gravity, which should be less than 1.005 (0.997 for this batch).
Transfer to next stage of fermentation using a muslin sack to screen out all pulp.
Squeezing pulp can be messy – wear old clothes and do the work in an easily cleaned area.
You may pour 2 liters of boiling water over the pulp and squeeze for remaining juices after the water has cooled.
Apply airlock and let sit for at least 7 days.   
Day 29: Measure the specific gravity, which should be less than 1.000 (0.996 for this batch). 
Transfer to next stage of fermentation using a hose to eliminate sediment.
Add 1 package of Sulphite to the mixture and stir.  Apply airlock and let sit overnight.
Day 30: Add the second package of Sulphite to mixture and stir.  Apply airlock and let sit for 14 days.
Day 49: Measure the specific gravity, which should be less than 1.000 (0.996 for this batch). 
Transfer to next stage using hose to eliminate sediment.
Add 1 package of Finishing Blend to increase sweetness.
Add 1 package of Potassium Sorbate to prevent renewal of fermentation.
Let sit 24 hours and bottle.   

Send an email for further help if needed.

Ohhhh ya spicy.......created by me:)

2 pounds chicken wings
1 bottel franks hot sauce
1/2 pint pineapple juice
2 tbs chilly powder
2 tbs ginger/garlic paste
salt/pepper to taste

marinate all the above in a ziplock bag, refrigerate  for 24 hours.
Fry, bake or Bar-be-Que....... make sure you have lots of cold beer around.
Enjoy.
cheers snowy:)

Spicy Pulled Pork on a bun
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 5 pound pork shoulder roast, bone-in
    * 2 cups hickory or mesquite chips, presoaked in water for 30 minutes
    * For Rub:
    * 1 tablespoon chili powder
    * 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    * 1 tablespoon salt
    * For sauce:
    * 1 cup ketchup
    * 1 cup cider vinegar
    * 3 tablespoons sugar
    * 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauc
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground

PREPARATION:
To make the rub: combine rub ingredients in a small bowl. Coat pork roast thoroughly with mixture. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature before placing on the grill.

Place pork on grill and cook over indirect medium heat for 4 to 5 hours, or until internal temperatures reach between 180-190 degrees.

Make sure to turn roast every hour. Add wood chips to smoker box about halfway through cooking process. When roast in through cooking, take off grill, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes before shredding.

To prepare sauce: Combine sauce ingredients plus 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes.

Shred pork with two forks or your fingers. Make sure to discard any fatty pieces. Place meat in a large bowl and add some of the sauce to moisten it. Serve warm with buns.

Back