• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

muskrat89 said:
Atomic Buffalo Turds (Stuffed Jalapenos)

Not trying to drive traffic to my sight, just too lazy to re-post everything here.

No worries, I am pretty sure Mr F35 doesn't read this thread anyway. Besides, you'll get the report to mod the same as I will - just delete it!

Jaydub's Pants-Optional Breakfast Scramble

3 Eggs
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic chopped
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, seaded and diced
2 handfulls baby spinach leaves
1/2 Cup Shredded Jack Cheese

- Mix eggs together in bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- add garlic, pepper, and saute until translucent.
- add spinach, and cook until wilted.
- reduce heat to medium, then add eggs, scramble.
- When eggs have just begun to set, sprinkle cheese and scramble until melted.
- Serve with multi-grain Toast.

*The use of hot sauce is highly encouraged. However, the use of ketchup is strictly forbidden.*

Enjoy.

Herb and Cheese Beer Bread

*Make sure you use a micro brew. If you use one of the major brands you will get nowhere*

2.5 C all purpose flour
1.5 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1.5 Tsp dried sage
1 Tsp salt
1 bottle of beer
1 C Cheddar

Combine the dry ingredients
Add the beer and cheddar, little bits at a time, to form a smooth batter and stir aggressively until you're tired.
Greased pan
Bake at 375 45-55 minutes depending on your oven (Thanks milnews.ca)
Dump the finished product onto a rack.

Boneless pork loin roast 3lbs
2 -3 seasoned boneless chicken breasts (brine soak 24 hrs)
slice while rolling the roast to create a flat piece of meat about 1 inch thick
rub both sides of the roast with your favorite or homemade dry rub
place chicken breasts lengthways on the roast
roll up and tie with butcher's string every 1/2 - 3/4 inches (fat side out)
place on BBQ rotisserie until internal temp is around 170 F

while the meat is resting grill some cherry tomatoes on the vine lightly brushed with olive oil and salted as a side, if you want some grilled eggplant slices go well also.

This one is a tiny bit complicated but well worth it, if you can handle the heat ;)  :

Firecracker Chicken

Firecracker Sauce

-1/2 cup sliced pickled banana peppers chopped fine PLUS 1/4 cup pickling liquid
-1/4 cup lemon juice
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-1/4 cup yellow mustard
-3 tablespoons Keen's Hot dry mustard (any dry mustard will do, but Keens has the most flavour)
-2 tablespoons chili sauce
-1 habanero chili, sliced thin
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
-3 garlic cloves, minced

Chicken

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2.5 lbs), trimmed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon baking POWDER (NOT baking SODA)
4 large egg whites
1 cup vegetable oil

1) For the Sauce
-Whisk together ingredients in a large bowl

2)For the Chicken

1)Cover chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound lightly with mallet until about 1/2 inch thick. Slice breasts in half, lengthwise and transfer to a large zipper-lock freezer bag. Add 1/4 cup Firecracker Sauce to bag, seal, and gently squeeze to bag to coat chicken evenly with sauce. Refrigerate and marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.

2)Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt and baking POWDER. Add 6 tablespoons Firecracker Sauce and, using hands, combine until mixture resembles coarse wet sand.

3) In another large bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towel. Working with one strip at a time, dip chicken in egg whites and transfer to flour mixture, pressing lightly on the chicken to adhere. Place chicken pieces on a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes (or up to 4 hours).

4) Adjust oven rack to middle, position and set oven to 200 degrees FAHRENHEIT. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until oil starts to "shimmer". Carefully place half of chicken strips in oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through (2-4 minutes per side). Transfer fried chicken to baking sheet lined with paper towels and place in warm oven. Repeat with remaining chicken strips. Transfer chicken to platter and drizzle with remaining sauce.

Notes: Make ABSOLUTELY sure you use baking POWDER and NOT baking SODA. Baking SODA will completely ruin this recipe beyond repair

Here's an easy one:

Fred Drexel's 1981 World Championship Winner Chili

2.5 lbs lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground pork
1  Large onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoon Canola or vegetable oil
1  Salt and pepper to taste
3  Cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Diced green chilies
8 oz Crushed tomatoes
1 ea Beef bouillon cube
12 oz Budweiser beer (you can use a more full-bodied beer if you'd like)
1 1/4 cup Water
4 tablespoons Chili powder (or 6 tablespoons if desired)
2 1/2 tablespoons Ground cumin (Make absolutely sure the cumin is as fresh as possible! It loses its flavour very, very quickly)
1/8 teaspoons Dry mustard
1/8 teaspoons Brown sugar
1 pinch Oregano

In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the beef, pork and onions in hot oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well. Cover and simmer 3 to 4 hours, until meat is tender and chili is thick and bubbly. Stir occasionally. Serves 4

Notes: You can add canned navy beans if you want, just make sure to rinse the beans first. 1/2-1 can should be more than enough.

Sheep's Head Is Not for Wimps
ScienceDaily (Oct. 20, 2011)
Article Link

Sheep's head is not for wimps. Until now very few of us have been tempted by this traditional Norwegian dish.

"It's a pity, because you will really have to look far and wide for a more tasty traditional dish," says Professor Reidar Mykletun at the Norwegian School of Hotel Management at the University of Stavanger.

"With good potatoes, rutabaga mash, beer and aquavit sheep's head is a tempting experience for genuine lamb enthusiasts. But sheep's head is an example of a dish that is scary for many of us. With both ears, mouth, teeth, tongue and eyes looking at you from the plate, it's close to being revolting for the uninitiated," he says.
More on link

No doubt the beer and aquavit (in excess) is the key to enjoying the dish. Frankly, after eating Norwegian army whale hamburger, sheep's head does not surprise me in the least.

Most amazing hot cheese dip EVER!

1/2 block of Velveeta, chopped into small squares
1/3 bar of old cheddar cheese, chopped into small squares
1/2 jar of salsa
3 heaping tablespoons of sour cream
1-2 cloves fresh garlic

Place both top ingredients in microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 2-3 minutes on high. Mix in CHRUSHED garlic and salsa. Microwave 3 minutes more. Add sour cream, to taste.

Serve hot with bread cubes or tortilla chips.

Ribs

You know you want this...

Ingredients:

Ribs
2 L bottle of Dr Pepper
¼ cup salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ tablespoon canola oil
½ onion, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ C ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Method:

Place the ribs in a large baking dish. Pour in Dr Pepper to cover them reserving at least ½ C for the sauce. Add the salt and soak the ribs overnight or minimum 2 hours. I always soak overnight.

Heat oven to 350. Remove ribs from liquid and dry them then rub with chili powder. Place in baking dish, add 1 cup of water and cover tightly with foil. Cook for two hours until meat nearly falls off the bone.

For the BBQ sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until they are soft and fragrant, add the ketchup, Worcestershire, vinegar, cayenne and remaining Dr Pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until sauce thickens.

Fire up the grills and brush the ribs with sauce. When the grill is hot. Cook them bone side down on the cooler part for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip them and cook until lightly charred and smoky. Remove and brush on more sauce.

MAN FOOD.

Now for the best chicken rub in the world:

I started with a recipe from a BBQ book and added a few things to make it more "me"

Boomshakalaka Chicken Rub

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar (you can try switching it up with brown, yellow or cane, if you wish - I use yellow)
1 tablespoon hot mustard powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder (garlic salt will suffice but dumb down your table salt content a bit)
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon ground coriander (cilantro)
1 teaspoon summer savory

Method:

Mix and store in airtight container.

Best described as Cajun with Tandoori flavour. I use it pretty liberally on any chicken I am cooking but not so much that it's falling off the meat.

I also have a beer battered chicken recipe that calls for you to coat the chicken in flour before dipping in the batter. Well I replace the flour with this stuff to give an amped up version of beer battered chicken.

Me likey.

With the holidays on their way...

A different way to cook a turkey:
cut in half down the spine, put it in the pan inside sides down
cover it in spices and stuff (?)

I've never done this, but my better half does, googled and found a recipe.  It cuts the cooking time down to about 1.5 hours.  Only drawback is you can't make stuffing inside the bird.  I don't like stuffing, so I don't care.  We've done it twice, and the bird was way more moist than the usual way. 

SupplyOntario said:
With the holidays on their way...bird was way more moist than the usual way.

Here's another tried and tested way of getting guaranteed moist meat from your turkey/chicken etc, with the only drawback being you can't really care what it looks like when it comes out of the oven.

Cook the sucker upside down!

Since there has never been one published beyond the "issue rum, sugar and water" mentioned in the regimental history, I offer the following, which has been refined after years of research and experimentation:

The Ortona Toast Recipe

SupplyOntario said:
With the holidays on their way...

A different way to cook a turkey:
cut in half down the spine, put it in the pan inside sides down
cover it in spices and stuff (?)

I've never done this, but my better half does, googled and found a recipe.  It cuts the cooking time down to about 1.5 hours.  Only drawback is you can't make stuffing inside the bird.  I don't like stuffing, so I don't care.  We've done it twice, and the bird was way more moist than the usual way.
You can "butterfly" a chicken by flattening it with the spine running down the middle, and save time cooking it, too.

Back