• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

Brined, slow cooked on the rotisserie

Bourbon, maple syrup, butter for a final glaze

My Spaghetti (or any kind of pasta) Carbonarra.

1/2lb of bacon, or pancetta (bacon works)  chopped up.
1/2 large white onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 box of pasta (whatever you choose, I use Catelli Smart Spaghetti)

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup of grated parm cheese
around 4 or 5 tablespoons of milk or cream.
Chopped parsley, salt and pepper

Step 1:  Put chopped up bacon in a pan.  Fry until crispy.  Toss in chopped up onions. Cook until slightly caramelized (golden brown) toss in garlic, cook a bit until you can smell the garlic.  Dump everything (including what grease there is) into a big bowl.

Cook pasta according to box.

While pasta is cooking,  toss in a blender or a food processor, the 2 egg yolks, cheese, and cream.  Blend well. 

When pasta is cooked, drain well and dump into the bowl with the bacon/onion garlic, immediately while the pasta is still hot (protip don't rinse it) put the sauce stuff all over it and give it a good stir to mix everything really well.

Serve on plate with some freshly ground pepper (or just the stuff in the shaker will do) salt and some chopped parsley. 

Super quick Honey Garlic Chicken

Put chicken breasts in oven safe dish

Simply put the following on the chicken (no mixing required)

1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce

place in oven and bake uncovered.

If you make some rice, you have some sauce to go with it.

This has been a staple recipe in our house for years.

Steve_D said:
Super quick Honey Garlic Chicken

Put chicken breasts in oven safe dish

Simply put the following on the chicken (no mixing required)

1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce

place in oven and bake uncovered.

If you make some rice, you have some sauce to go with it.

This has been a staple recipe in our house for years.

Sounds good.  Time?  Temp?

I cook it at 350 for about 40 - 50 minutes depending on thickness of chicken breast.

Something easy and hearty and ready to go in the mornings

btw my kids love this

Crock Pot apple cinnamon oatmeal

Ingredients:
3 Spartan apples, cored and roughly chopped. (not peeled)
½ cup brown sugar
2 or 3 tsp of ground cinnamon, depending on taste (I usually add more because we like it)
Pinch of nutmeg
½ tsp of salt
couple of tbsp of flax seed or flax seed meal..for extra omegas
2 ½ cups of whole rolled oats, or steel cut oats.. (NOT the quick cooking or instant..that turns into a nasty paste)
3 cups of water.

Method:
Grease crock pot, or, put in a crock pot liner, in a cold crock pot.
Layer Apples, brown sugar, spices, salt then oats.  Add water, do not stir.
Put the cover on the crock pot and cook for 8-9hrs on low heat.

You can switch this up with raisins, or bananas, or peaches, whatever fruit you have on hand that goes well...

Two Hot Sauces

Hot Soya Sauce

Good for any dish you'd add soya sauce; meats, pastas, rice, potato

Ingredients/Utencils
-Whole raw jalapeno peppers
-Whole raw chili peppers
-Garlic
-Ginger
-Good quality low sodium soya sauce
-Glass jar

Method
-Finely dice the jalapeno peppers and the chili peppers into fine small chunks. Use a 60% jalapeno to 40% chili
pepper ratio until you figure out how hot versus taste you're seeking.  100% jalapeno is OK too and recommended
for beginners.
-Finely dice the garlic and ginger and mix them with the peppers.
-The garlic/ginger to pepper ratio is subject to taste. If you like it garlicy, dice and add more garlic vrs ginger. The
ginger adds a "tang" to the taste.
-Add the diced pepper/garlic/ginger mix to the jar filling it to the top.
-Pour the soya sauce into the pepper jar filling it to the top.
-Cap the jar and place in the refrigerator.
-Best served after a day sitting in the refrigerator or use immediately. Usually distributed by spoon.

Hot Chili Oil

Good for any dish that needs a spice up; meat, pastas, vegetables, or chilli. The more crushed
dried chili pepper you add, the hotter the oil.

Ingredients/Utencils
-Large fry pan or wok.
-Garlic
-Ginger
-Good quality crushed dried chili peppers
-Cayenne pepper powder
-Canola oil
-Container

*Calculate how much chili oil you want to make. The ratio of oil to chili per volume
could be 2:1 or twice as much oil as chili. If you want less hottness or less chili,
make the ratio 3:1.  I prefer more chili.

Method
-Finely dice/chop the garlic and ginger. Add as much of this as you want. I like alot of garlic to give the oil
more taste.  Put into a bowl.
-Put the crushed chili pepper and a few table spoons of cayenne pepper into
another bowl.  The cayenne pepper adds color to the oil in the finished product, gives the oil a steady burn
and doesn't interfere with the chili taste.
-Get the garlic/ginger and the crushed chilis/cayenne ready to pour into the wok at the right time.  Timing
is important.
-In a well ventilated kitchen, pour the measure of oil into a wok or large fry pan.
-Turn the wok's stove burner up to 7 or 8 on a 10 (high) scale. You want the oil to be hot but you don't want
to burn the oil or the contents either.
-Wait for the oil to reach temperature.  A garlic or ginger test chunk should quickly bubble in the hot oil.
-Slowly add the diced garlic and ginger to the oil.  Do not dump quickly and be very careful of oil splatter. 
The garlic and ginger will vigorously bubble due to the water content.
- Stir the garlic and ginger a few times.  The idea is not to cook the mixture but to leach out the garlic and
ginger flavor into the oil.
-TEN SECONDS AFTER ADDING THE GARLIC/GINGER, remove the wok from the burner, and pour into the
wok the measure of crushed chili peppers/cayenne.
-Stir the mixture a few times.
-Turn off stove.
-Allow the chili oil to cool somewhere.
-Once cool, place the chili oil in the container.
-Distribute the chili oil by spoon.

It's that season again.  Anyone have any interesting turkey recipes?  (ie - stuff & roast 101 has been pretty much covered, thanks)

Can't help with the turkey, but I hit upon a way to jazz up leftover slow cooker scalloped potatoes. Actually most of the potatoes were gone so there was a fair amount of 'broth' along with a couple of slabs of peameal bacon left. (I topped the potatoes with peameal and cooked the combination. It also works with hot Italian sausage.) Toss in some saurkraut and reheat. The kraut soaks up most of the broth and you get a very interesting combination of tastes.

Anyone have any interesting turkey recipes?

Do you have a smoker? I make this one a couple of times a year.....

http://www.smoking-meat.com/november-2010-smoked-cranberry-brined-turkey

One of my efforts here: http://www.skinnymoose.com/dryrubbedrat/2010/11/29/wow-brined-turkey-breast/

Thought of going the deep fried turkey for a change?

I've never fried a bird, so I leave that advice to others, but as a consumer of fried turkey, done well it can be VERY nice - moist inside, very crispy/crunchy outside.

I BBQ our turkeys. Take out the goody bag, (Mrs uses some of that for her stuffing) and put a granny smith apple (quartered), one whole lemon with the ends cut off and four lengthwise slices through the peel (to let the steam out) and a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary inside. Then rub down the outside with butter and liberally salt and pepper it. Put the sucker in a shallow roasting pan and pop it into the BBQ on med heat with the lid propped open a little, I bast it every 20 mins and add water to the pan as necessary. Generally cooks for 17 mins per pound but I use a meat thermometer to make sure its properly cooked through. You can tent it with tinfoil if it starts getting too crispy on the outside. If I'm feeling particularly daring I add mesquite chips and rosemary to the burner to smoke it as it cooks. The Mrs makes stuffing separately (can't have turkey without stuffing..) in the oven and drizzles some of the turkey drippings over it as it bakes. 
My sister turnd us on to this years ago and we haven't put a turkey in the oven since.

Turkey's meat is quite dry so I prefer to soak it in the marinade with a little while in case I don't want to cook the whole bird

Last week my wife spent a couple of days with her friend, Bonnie, from Queen's and brought back this unique bit of finger food. (Bonnie bought some in Tokyo airport and my wife adapted it.)

Melt some Bakers block dark chocolate and cut it with some water, or Bailey's if that is your druthers.

Dip reduced salt ripple potato chips in it and lay them out on a baking tray. Finally put the tray in the freezer for a few hours to set.

We have served this twice and they don't last!

I got this from a Royal Australian Navy CPO Cook while posted in Oz, but never got around to making it until now.  It was freaking amazing (although both g/f and I really like garlic, so we used 3x the amount.)

Clarrie's Creamy Garlic Prawns

Butter:  125g
Garlic:  1 large clove or 1 tsp minced garlic
Flour:  1 tbsp (g/f doesn't do gluten so we used rice flour instead)
Cream:  1/2 cup
Chicken Stock:  1 cup
White wine:  2 tbsp
Dry mustard:  1/4 tsp
Prawns:  750g (thawed)
Parsley:  2 tbsp fresh chopped
S&P to taste

1.  Heat butter and sear garlic in saucepan
2.  Remove from heat and stir in flour until mixed through
3.  Add cream, stock and wine gradually while stirring constantly to mix well
4.  Return pan to stove and stir until sauce thickens and boils
5.  Add mustard and stir until mixed well
6.  S&P to taste
7.  Add prawns and simmer until cooked
8.  Add parsley and stir through
9.  Serve on steamed rice (or pasta)

The easiest slow-cooker recipe I've seen, and it tastes amazing.

Lamb Shanks in Guinness

4 Lamb Shanks
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 can Guinness
1 beef stock cube
1 tbsp olive oil
6-8 large mushrooms, whole
S&P

Optional:  Other root veg (carrots, etc) - I usually throw in 2 chopped carrots

1.  Brown shanks in a hot frypan with olive oil
2.  Add to slow cooker and spread onions and optional veggies around meat.
3.  Add stock cube and S&P to taste - I find I only need a bit of added salt
4.  Add can of Guinness and mushrooms on top
5.  Cook on Low for 8 hours

Simple turkey hack for getting a juicy bird - rub mayo on the bird.

Back