• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

No scrabbling ahead, no salt or pepper until the end, off the heat half the time... Crazy talk.

Eggs.  Butter.  I use a bit of EVOO in the pan in advance, and that is all.

Were I not on a train about to be served a meal, I would make some now for dinner.

Today is "catching breath" day. 

Yesterday was a house party with a bizarre diverse (...no, bizarre may be more accurate) crowd of family, neighbours, friends, friends of friends....  Feeding was all finger foods: wings, ribs, salamis/cheeses, air-fried crusted cheese sticks, etc, etc... plus 4 flavours of hot sauces.  Popular were the Greek and Moroccan-flavoured devilled eggs, and the beef & blue cheese stuffed/bacon-wrapped mushrooms.  Some  whiney people thought that the vegan sushi had too much wasabi.  pffft  wusses  Serves them right for not being meat-eaters.

The gathering included some extra folks for breakfast, having decided that they had been 'overserved' (notwithstanding I served everyone's first drink, then pointed to the beer coolers, wine fridge, liquor shelf after that);  the spare bedrooms were used to good purpose.    ;)

The turkey is currently thawing in preparation for tomorrow's dinner... which will be spatchcocked and BBQ'd  (if only because my inner adolescent likes saying "spatchcock."  ;D

Journeyman said:
The turkey is currently thawing in preparation for tomorrow's dinner... which will be spatchcocked and BBQ'd  (if only because my inner adolescent likes saying "spatchcock."  ;D

There are two ways to cook a turkey: Spatchcock, and wrong.

tomahawk6 said:
Have a Great Christmas and don't overeat.  :snowman:

Your warning came too late! Ham. Mmmmmh.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

:subbies:

Journeyman said:
The turkey ... spatchcocked and BBQ'd 
After splitting the turkey, I brined with water/kosher salt for about 3 hours. I then added a few pats of butter between the skin and breasts, and coated the whole thing in olive oil.  BBQ'ing took only 90 minutes, checking with meat thermometer after 1 hr. 
Delicious, moist, tender, with crispy skin.  I now have a favourite turkey recipe! 

Note that you have to acquire fat drippings for gravy another way, since there's no roasting pan.  I gathered the bits that normally get boiled into soup stock afterwards  (neck, spine [that was removed when splitting], any trimmed skin...) and added the wings (not generally eaten b/c there's so much meat available on the bird).  I threw them into the hot air fryer.  The fat that collected in the bottom of the fryer provided enough base for gravy for three of us non-vegans (yes, the extended household has some of those  weirdos). If I had to make more and didn't want to use store-bought powder, I'd likely try a mixture of butter and olive oil.*

* Yes, I read somewhere about fat clogging arteries.... so I rely on the self-delusion of "red wine cures all."  ;D

Sounds tasty. One friend I know coats the turkey in mayo but it stays moist and I don't use mayo even on a sandwhich,and I thought I wouldn't like it but I loved the end result.

Our solution for a moist turkey is to buy nothing but Butterballs. Nothing fancy after that just a few pats of butter on the outside.

:subbies:

We use butter and poultry seasoning and "massage" the bird.  We add 4 cups of chicken stock, some carrots, celery and onions, and baste every 30 mins for however long the bird needs to be roasted.

It's turned out pretty well so far.

Vermilion Snapper is delightful. Grilled over medium heat with salt, pepper, parsley and a little lemon.

Bit of a necropost, but starting to look forward to the summer bbq season, and figured I'd share this.

Picked up the Food Lab cookbook for Xmas, and it's been a huge win for great recipes.  So pretty confident that this should work (once the temps get above 25 and sunny).

Cook Your Meat in a Beer Cooler: The World's Best (and Cheapest) Sous Vide Hack

[...]Here's how it works: A beer cooler is designed to keep things cool. It accomplishes this with a two-walled plastic chamber with an air space in between. This airspace acts as an insulator, preventing thermal energy (a.k.a. heat) from the outside from reaching the cold food on the inside. Of course, insulators work both ways. Once you realize that a beer cooler is just as good at keeping hot things hot as it is at keeping cold things cold, then the rest is easy: Fill up your beer cooler with water just a couple degrees higher than the temperature you'd like to cook your food at (to account for temperature loss when you add cold food to it), seal your food in a plastic Ziplock bag*, drop it in, and close your beer cooler until your food is cooked. It's as simple as that.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

He goes into a full breakdown on the site, and has a whole section on it in the cookbook.  For any science nerds, it's pretty great, because he goes through a bunch of tests with different temps, cooking times etc and compares the final output.

Going to pick up a charcoal grill as well to finish it off, so looking forward to some sweet BBQ!

This may be of interest to anyone aspiring to become a firefighter,

Firehouse Feasts: Building bonds and perfecting recipes around the station’s dinner table

Everyone we hire, during the on-boarding process, when I talk to them 1-on-1, I always ask, ‘Do you know how to cook?’ It’s one of my first questions.

"The paramedics are always out running. It’d be hard for them to try and shop and cook."
https://growlermag.com/firehouse-feasts-building-bonds-and-perfecting-recipes-around-the-stations-dinner-table/

Not so much a recipe, but a link to a Youtube channel of recipes.

Tasting History is a channel where Max Miller describes how to make a certain dish, plus the historical (true or not) background behind it.  His channel started out with medieval European food, but has since branched out to classical (as in ones described in The Iliad and Apicius) Roman and Greek dishes as well as non-western dishes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TastingHistory

Edit to add:  There's also a subreddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/TastingHistory/

Not really a recipe, but more like a cooking tip: when you make meatballs from scratch, make sure you use regular ground beef, not lean ground beef. The extra fat in the regular ground beef will give your meatballs extra flavor. I remember making one such batch, and when I took the pan out of the even, the whole thing was positively glistening with grease. And the meatballs were the best I have ever tasted. Incidentally, this is why store-bought meatballs don't taste that good. They contain very little fatty beef.

Back