• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

navymich said:
I'm sure I would.  Now when are you making it?  ;D

New fundraising project for the site.....Army.ca Cookbook.
I'm in Mich got more where the others come from...I used to be domestic, lmao  :eek:

HL

Fo rthe man that cooks  ::)...well okay maybe he cooks...
LMAO

HL

BlackJack BBQ Sauce

1 Cup Jack Daniel's
1 Cup ketchup
1 Cup cider vinegar
1 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup diced red onion
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp Hot Sauce

Combine, bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes. The ultimate goal is to reduce the sauce to a thickness consistent with regular BBQ sauce. How thick you want it is up to you.

I use this sauce for everything, great on chicken and steaks (I have two great big bejesus T-Bones for this afternoon)

Scott's Thunderbolt Burgers

Lean ground beef X 2 lbs.
Place beef in big bowl and add:
Good dash of your favorite BBQ sauce (Great recipe for the Jack BBQ sauce) You want to add enough to add density to the meat but not so much as to make it crumbly and gooey when cooked. It's a feel thing, add sauce in very little lots all the while mixing in with your hands.
Pinch of kosher salt
A few liberal shakes of Clubhouse Steakhouse Spice (Salt Free)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
A few dashes of hot sauce

Form into thick patties (I usually make four) and be careful to leave the inside lower than the outside, meaning, put a divot in the center of the burgers. This will aid you when cooking by allowing the center to plump out yet not turn the burger into a baseball. Once again ,this step takes a knack to get used to but works.

You have to cook these bad boys over high heat. Have your grill at least 450 degrees. Brush some oil onto the grill before throwing the burgers on or they will stick.

Grill the buggers and remember that a burger is not done until the temperature is 71. A digital meat thermometer is a must these days.

Enjoy.

Cole Slaw

2 c cabbage finely shredded
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 Tbsp mayo
1/4 tsp salt

Mix dressing ingredients and toss with cabbage.
Chill and enjoy

HL

Thanks for the stuffed mushroom caps recipe HL.  Will make them on Tuesday when my wife gets home.
One stuffed recipe deserves another so here is one of mine:

STUFFED PEPPERS

4-6 green or yellow/orange peppers
1 pound lean ground beef .  (Ground chicken or turkey are good substitutes as Zhatar tends to enhance their flavor)
1/2 cup grated onion
3 tablespoons uncooked rice
1 egg
3 tablespoons water
salt and black pepper
Zahtar (available at any ME food store)

SAUCE:

2 tablespoons oil
1 cup chopped onion
20 ounce can tomatoes (chopped if possible)
3 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar

Prepare peppers by cutting a circle in the top and pulling or cutting out the seeds. Rinse and set aside. In a bowl mix together the meat, grated onion (place a chopped onion and the 3 tbs of water in a food processor and process until pureed), rice, egg, 1 and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper, heaping tbspn of Zahtar.

Stuff peppers with this mixture and place in a roasting pan. In a saucepan, brown the chopped onion in the oil. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes so that flavours will blend. Pour sauce over the peppers making sure that some of the sauce stays on top of the peppers. Cover and bake at 350 until done (45 minutes) basting once or twice. Tastes even better when reheated.

I will volunteer(shudder) to compile the recipes for a cook book. (God, what are you doing dummy !!! :crybaby:)

Either list here or PM me so I can give proper attribution to whomever submits them. I will set up the categories, break it down to ingredients, instructions, cooking sections so that it is consistant for all recipes.

PS:  I want a section for field cooking too guys...there are some terrific recipes out there....It's amazing what could be done to make Ham and Lima beans edible, so let's hear them

GAP said:
I will volunteer(shudder) to compile the recipes for a cook book. (God, what are you doing dummy !!! :crybaby:)

Either list here or PM me so I can give proper attribution to whomever submits them. I will set up the categories, break it down to ingredients, instructions, cooking sections so that it is consistant for all recipes.

:rofl:  I knew someone would be crazy enough to run with my idea.  But seriously, GAP, let me know if you need a hand at all, I'm more then willing to help follow through on the plan.

And I am willing to eat all the food in the Recipe Book  ;D

navymich said:
:rofl:  I knew someone would be crazy enough to run with my idea.  But seriously, GAP, let me know if you need a hand at all, I'm more then willing to help follow through on the plan.

You may regret that....then again..so might I  :D

Mud Recce Man said:
And I am willing to eat all the food in the Recipe Book   ;D

Down boy!.....cook it yourself !

Thousand Island Dressing

1 small dill pickle, chopped
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 c low fat mayo

Combine all ingredients.
Makes approx. 3/4 cup

French Dressing

4 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp powdered pectin
1/2 c water
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1Tbsp ketchup

Combine ingredients.  Shake well in a small jar and store in refrigerator.

HL

Mud Recce Man said:
And I am willing to eat all the food in the Recipe Book   ;D

Does that include the canned or bagged jambalaya heated on the engine manifold?   ;D

Mud Recce Man said:
but of course!  I can cook (making soup, hot water, and stuff is cooking no?)   :p

Uh huh....if you are anything like MJP...cook tomato soup with milk on High....stir at end...anything not stuck to bottom of pot is edible  :D

Mud Recce Man said:
And I am willing to eat all the food in the Recipe Book   ;D

Thank you Mud for being the first one to sign up to buy a cookbook.  That is very generous of you to support Army.ca, especially when you find out what the introductory price will be.   ;D  Now run along and tell all of your friends about it too.

Shec said:
Does that include the canned or bagged jambalaya heated on the engine manifold?   ;D

You sure you want to let that secret out?

Oh, what the ..., yeah, I'm betting there are a lot of FNG that want to follow in the footsteps of those gallant experimenters that finally got it right....(don't mix with antifreeze I would think might be one caution)

Everyone has their part to do!  I will be the eater of food.   >:D

Back