• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

COs can terminate the retention as well. Member must occupy and REMAR/not be in MMO position IIRC.

“The needs of the service” aren’t always going to match the needs of each member.

I’d like to see anyone retained who can be AND can be employed properly in the identified position. It’s not like all trades are Green and everyone is happy about it. ATR positions come to mind; not sure how many of them are Pri A or B postings but…
I think it's great for inland postings that are otherwise left empty; some billets have been empty for so long that they are getting re-allocated, but the work still needs to get done so it's burning out the rest of the team. I think, in some limited cases, it's a great short term type thing for 3-4 years to help people transition out of uniform.

Definitely need to be careful about not killing sea/shore ratio, but if one or two people in shore billets clogs it up, I'd suggest the problem isn't the medical retention, but the trade employment.

I think it's great for inland postings that are otherwise left empty; some billets have been empty for so long that they are getting re-allocated, but the work still needs to get done so it's burning out the rest of the team. I think, in some limited cases, it's a great short term type thing for 3-4 years to help people transition out of uniform.

Definitely need to be careful about not killing sea/shore ratio, but if one or two people in shore billets clogs it up, I'd suggest the problem isn't the medical retention, but the trade employment.

I'd hazard a guess that most retention requests are at the Snr NCM and Officer level.

I'm general there are less of those positions around. 1 or 2 on retention and screw a whole group of people. I'd also argue there should be no retention positions at operational bases and they should be restricted to static organizations the Likes of Borden, Toronto or Ottawa.

We have a few ground positions at our OSSs (Operational Support Sqns) that can fit people unfit traditional trade duty (flying) that can be a great fit for someone who was PCATd. I know one friend who did 3 years and it actually effectively filled the position with a very knowledgeable mbr (WO), and that took some pressure off the flying Sqns who couldn’t really afford to lose a flying WO.

Because of the drastic “reality” in what might work for RCN, RCAF and C Army and each trade, I think the “each case on its own merits” (or whatever the wording is on Retention in the UoS DAOD is) is working for the CAF writ large.

There are some other ATR positions that would work well for mbrs who can’t deploy, let’s say, and 99% of the time wouldn’t be from certain postings; CFLRS and the RCAF Academy in Borden are good examples.

I was talking an ARAF mbr today who said pretty much anyone in the local Air Reserve Flight who wants max days employment will get it these days, as the Reg Force position shortage is being felt more increasingly.

I'd hazard a guess that most retention requests are at the Snr NCM and Officer level.

I'm general there are less of those positions around. 1 or 2 on retention and screw a whole group of people. I'd also argue there should be no retention positions at operational bases and they should be restricted to static organizations the Likes of Borden, Toronto or Ottawa.
I suspect it's highly trade dependent; we have a lot of empty NTO/Martech billets at the PO2 - CPO2 rank and Lt(N)-LCdr level in Ottawa. Again, case by case, and needs to include things like trade specific issues.

Some of the smaller trades are a bit crazy; a friend is stuck at MCpl until someone up the food chain retires (triggering a promotion cascade). Those are probably good examples where medical retention in a core trade job may not make sense. Still though, with all the personnel shortages across the CAF, would find it hard to believe that there aren't a lot of empty jobs that couldn't be filled by someone out of trade/under rank.

We have a few ground positions at our OSSs (Operational Support Sqns) that can fit people unfit traditional trade duty (flying) that can be a great fit for someone who was PCATd. I know one friend who did 3 years and it actually effectively filled the position with a very knowledgeable mbr (WO), and that took some pressure off the flying Sqns who couldn’t really afford to lose a flying WO.

Because of the drastic “reality” in what might work for RCN, RCAF and C Army and each trade, I think the “each case on its own merits” (or whatever the wording is on Retention in the UoS DAOD is) is working for the CAF writ large.

There are some other ATR positions that would work well for mbrs who can’t deploy, let’s say, and 99% of the time wouldn’t be from certain postings; CFLRS and the RCAF Academy in Borden are good examples.

I was talking an ARAF mbr today who said pretty much anyone in the local Air Reserve Flight who wants max days employment will get it these days, as the Reg Force position shortage is being felt more increasingly.
Your buddy should switch to Air Ops Officer if he meets the requirements for it, they’re handing out PLARs to anyone with flight time, I know a LM and FE who just got the whole thing.
Our ARAF offered everyone max time back in Jun ish.

Your buddy should switch to Air Ops Officer if he meets the requirements for it, they’re handing out PLARs to anyone with flight time, I know a LM and FE who just got the whole thing.
Our ARAF offered everyone max time back in Jun ish.

Unfortunately, he was released a year or two ago after a 3 year retention.

Reconstitution : cancelled.

canadas-navy-has-really-cut-some-corners-lately-2967766.png

Reconstitution : cancelled.

Good thing we already spent the effort to cancel all the non-essential stuff like… well, someone, somewhere, with less important stuff to do probably cancelled something? Maybe a golf tournament? Not the charity one though, those are important.

I volunteer to go establish a forward station in Singapore, Malaysia, or Thailand...

Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
Where there aren't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst

I volunteer to go establish a forward station in Singapore, Malaysia, or Thailand...

Or more likely ;)

The Young British Soldier

WHEN the ’arf-made recruity goes out to the East
’E acts like a babe an’ ’e drinks like a beast,
An’ ’e wonders because ’e is frequent deceased
Ere ’e ’s fit for to serve as a soldier.

All I'll say is that the...uh...locals didn't necessarily share the same view of UK soldiers and sailors in Asia.

All I'll say is that the...uh...locals didn't necessarily share the same view of UK soldiers and sailors in Asia.
It would be odd if they did, colonial powers don't tend to be loved in the places they occupy.

As I recall, you're a Met tech.

Met techs in Singapore: High 36, low 29, 85 Percent chance of rain, high humidity.

Copy, paste, send out daily.

Back