• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

Water Mean GIF by SVT

So far the best idea has been make everyone a reservist, and task them to Dundurn... No wonder the CAF is struggling to attract quality recruits. :ROFLMAO:

The issue is that this current model is not working. I'm not saying because it's what the people are saying on CAF Reddit. I know many people between the 6 and 20 year mark that are seriously looking at pulling pin. It's one thing if someone does one IE and decides it's not for them, but it's something else for someone with 20 years in to not do the extra 5 for pension.
I was one of them. At ten years I was looking for something else and when MLTP didn't open up for two years straight 9D and I had to make a choice. Haven't looked back since.

It's not that I didn't like the CAF. I liked it enough to stay as a reservist for another 24 years.

Just thinking - if they'd had that education option back then I would have had to quit outright to get it and then try to get back in - madness.

🍻

If universality of service is to mean anything then every trade, every person is meant to be deployed be they RegF or ResF for as long as ss. 31 and 33 of the NDA stays worded the way they are.

Even when I was in on the RegF side I could never understand this fetish about tying pay to the notion of postings. I presume it arose out of the fact that the CAF unnecessarily shuffles people around from pillar to post into places inhabited only by deer and bears. Honestly guys, it not a d*ck measuring contest.

People get paid for the level of skill they've developed and the time they spend working at it. Reservists already earn a small fraction of what the Regs do due to the number of days a year they work. On top of that RegF get sports days, short leave, and sweeping the gun park floor days etc etc.

There used to be sayings about a fair day's pay for a fair day's work.

How does that matter vis a vis military pay. Wouldn't it be an advantage to RegF retention if the leadership used a few of their brain cells to figure out a career profile that would make that possible for the average RegF soldier rather than try to figure out a way to create a disincentive to people who are prepared to work as a civilian and use a large portion off their spare time to to serve their country? To give up vacation times with the family to go on exercises in some mosquito hell hole?

You don't need to go to Reddit for it. 🎆

Get back to the basic issue which is to fill the military with valuable soldiers. Wouldn't it benefit the force tremendously if you converted a large part of it to working part-time so that the costs in personnel savings could be converted to finally be used to buy equipment. And if they stayed in the CAF for quite a while because they were able to live a balanced life with their family?

Last thought ... one which will spark fireworks here ... a military that does not have the equipment nor the capability to fight a serious war to defend its country's sovereignty is at best a high priced make-work project and at worst a uniformed bureaucratic welfare system.

Let the 🎇 begin!

🍻
Many a colleague of mine has referred to the CAF as just a big federal jobs program for the reasons you state.

Many a colleague of mine has referred to the CAF as just a big federal jobs program for the reasons you state.
I assume "all taxation is theft" is popular among that crowd as well.

Question:
What do you do when everyone/vast majority opts for geographic stability?

Let me see if my magic wand is working...

You identify the CAF HR centre of gravity as the 'Urban Areas'.

Recruit from these urban areas and build Brigades centred on Vancouver/Victoria, Edmonton/Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto (two brigades), Montreal/ Quebec City (two brigades), and Freddie/Halifax. Maybe Regina/ Saskatoon as well, but I don't know. Do the math and figure it out based on some solid demographics.

Keep the RCN the same, centred on Victoria and Halifax. Find a way to bring the (currently exiled) RCAF into the urban centres where it makes sense. I'm guessing aircraft based in Edmonton and Montreal can do the same job as those in Cold Lake and Baggotville, but am not qualified to comment. Comox? You guys already have it too good ;)

Make sure that most troops will be based a (maximum) 3 hour drive from home, or something like that, so they can get home for the weekends and on leave. Set up shuttle buses etc to deliver them there and bring them back as required.

This type of geographical adjacency to home is the current reality for many European militaries, and is a big 'satisfier'.

Oh, and because the CAF is now Urban Centre focused, integrate reserve units seamlessly into the Reg F brigades.

You're welcome ;)

Let me see if my magic wand is working...

You identify the CAF HR centre of gravity as the 'Urban Areas'.

Recruit from these urban areas and build Brigades centred on Vancouver/Victoria, Edmonton/Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto (two brigades), Montreal/ Quebec City (two brigades), and Freddie/Halifax. Maybe Regina/ Saskatoon as well, but I don't know. Do the math and figure it out based on some solid demographics.

Keep the RCN the same, centred on Victoria and Halifax. Find a way to bring the (currently exiled) RCAF into the urban centres where it makes sense. I'm guessing aircraft based in Edmonton and Montreal can do the same job as those in Cold Lake and Baggotville, but am not qualified to comment. Comox? You guys already have it too good ;)

Make sure that most troops will be based a (maximum) 3 hour drive from home, or something like that, so they can get home for the weekends and on leave. Set up shuttle buses etc to deliver them there and bring them back as required.

This type of geographical adjacency to home is the current reality for many European militaries, and is a big 'satisfier'.

Oh, and because the CAF is now Urban Centre focused, integrate reserve units seamlessly into the Reg F brigades.

You're welcome ;)

That's sounds fine and dandy. So you're relying on geographic centers to raise their own units ? How's that working out for the reserves? You think it will fly for the reg force ? We can't even get people in Toronto/Halifax ect to pretend to be soldiers 1 evening and weekend a month.

I really don't think geographic stability is the answer that's going to strengthen us.

What we need is a strengthened IR program, and ,on the NCM side, clearly defined timelines and a road map for ones career.

I can tell you from my 23 years almost all of the folks I know who avoid postings are not the people we need.

The problem with the CAF is that they assume every schmuck walking through the door of a CFRG is the next CDS/CAFCWO and plan accordingly. Very few applicants are looking for a 25-35 year career.

If we were smart, (which we aren't) we would plan for that churn accordingly and develop a career management plan that reflects a 5 to 10 year time line from recruitment to release. In that 5-10 years, no more than 1 year should be attributed to reaching OFP. And I mean a true "Day One at the Unit" OFP; not the "they'll need this at the next DP so let's train it here" OFP.

Get them doing the job they signed up for sooner, make sure they're fulfilled in doing that job, expect that they won't be resigning, and plan accordingly.

As much as we think we're a great sell, we aren't. Unless that changes, expect the revolving door. Plan for the revolving door.

The problem with the CAF is that they assume every schmuck walking through the door of a CFRG is the next CDS/CAFCWO and plan accordingly. Very few applicants are looking for a 25-35 year career.

If we were smart, (which we aren't) we would plan for that churn accordingly and develop a career management plan that reflects a 5 to 10 year time line from recruitment to release. In that 5-10 years, no more than 1 year should be attributed to reaching OFP. And I mean a true "Day One at the Unit" OFP; not the "they'll need this at the next DP so let's train it here" OFP.

Get them doing the job they signed up for sooner, make sure they're fulfilled in doing that job, expect that they won't be resigning, and plan accordingly.

As much as we think we're a great sell, we aren't. Unless that changes, expect the revolving door. Plan for the revolving door.

I like the idea of much more 3 to 5 year folks. Much like the US Military.

Then we identify those we really want to keep and provide heightened remuneration and benefits to entice them to stay and keep them around.

That's sounds fine and dandy. So you're relying on geographic centers to raise their own units ? How's that working out for the reserves? You think it will fly for the reg force ? We can't even get people in Toronto/Halifax ect to pretend to be soldiers 1 evening and weekend a month.
That's because it's not their main job, and often it conflicts with their "day job". It might be different if folks in the GTA, etc are allowed to stay there for their entire careers.

I really don't think geographic stability is the answer that's going to strengthen us.

What we need is a strengthened IR program, and ,on the NCM side, clearly defined timelines and a road map for ones career.

I can tell you from my 23 years almost all of the folks I know who avoid postings are not the people we need.
While I've seen that, I've also seen lots of really good folks get burnt out from multiple short postings, know that there's a PRes job there they can slide into, and said "I'm not moving bc we need geo stability".

That may be less of a thing in the RCN because of the Home Port Division concept, but it is definitely a thing in the RCAF.

That's because it's not their main job, and often it conflicts with their "day job". It might be different if folks in the GTA, etc are allowed to stay there for their entire careers.

While I've seen that, I've also seen lots of really good folks get burnt out from multiple short postings, know that there's a PRes job there they can slide into, and said "I'm not moving bc we need geo stability".

That may be less of a thing in the RCN because of the Home Port Division concept, but it is definitely a thing in the RCAF.

I've def seen that as well. Mostly in the Officer and CWO/MWO levels, lots of frequent short postings. But also has to do with out tick in the box method of pers development.

I'm not against slowing down career progression and ensuring quality development is gained from postings.

I think we need to really think hard about our geographic postings and how we manage them.

I also think, and I'm a good example as Ottawa is in my future, that we need to embrace remote working. Most staff jobs can be done from home and a monthly fly in for a few days. And it would be cheaper than paying for IR.

I also think, and I'm a good example as Ottawa is in my future, that we need to embrace remote working. Most staff jobs can be done from home and a monthly fly in for a few days. And it would be cheaper than paying for IR.
That's been the case for the last 2 years. Many NCR offices are remotely working, especially if it's project staff.

When you know which office you're going to, talk to the team there to see if they'll allow it. I'd say many jobs don't even need the "monthly fly-in" as most meetings are on Teams anyway.

My last job had a section of 5 - 3 of us weren't even in the same province. Productivity actually went up.

I've def seen that as well. Mostly in the Officer and CWO/MWO levels, lots of frequent short postings. But also has to do with out tick in the box method of pers development.

I'm not against slowing down career progression and ensuring quality development is gained from postings.

I think we need to really think hard about our geographic postings and how we manage them.

Remote work should be embraced for a lot of things.

I know I may have stated this before (sorry if it gets annoying) but this is also a boon for spouses or service couples. It isn’t hard to figure out and costs way less.

You live in Halifax? Cool, we’ll let you work remotely to do a staff job in Ottawa with certain caveats. Your CAF support for clothing, admin, medical etc etc can remain in Halifax.

Quality of life won’t suffer, job still gets done, CAF saves a ton of money on moves etc.

I think that’s more of a reserves issue. There are far more soldiers from the GTA in the Patricia’s now than from rural Sask. Actually in Latvia my entire section were from urban areas, no a single “rural farm boy” to be found, good think they didn’t get sent to Shilo eh?

You live in Halifax? Cool, we’ll let you work remotely to do a staff job in Ottawa with certain caveats. Your CAF support for clothing, admin, medical etc etc can remain in Halifax.
That is what the 3 in my previous section did. It was not hard to set up administratively, esp if it's WFH.

I’m serious.

It is 20 mins to Saskatoon, a surprisingly cosmopolitan city of 300k, with affordable housing.

How close are Wainwright or Meaford or Petawawa or Shilo to a Major urban centre, again?
There’s a reason why it’s called Sunny Dunny!

Back