• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

I think the highlighted point is the key. Unless things have changed recently, you need to apply to be a submariner. Then you need to qualify for your dolphins.

Folks who made it through all of that successfully tend to be pretty motivated.

We used to connect with the 'Silent Service' types out of Faslane occasionally.

They were the closest thing to paratroopers, without being paratroopers, that I've ever met ;)

Like, "knee to nose" connection?

More like the mutual 'fanaticism' ;)

We connected with their motto:

ec3c1be02677c63b0a4b34b73dd1e7fa35d307b5b42c8eb9ce94db18c22e017f_1.webp

I think the highlighted point is the key. Unless things have changed recently, you need to apply to be a submariner. Then you need to qualify for your dolphins.

Our crew met the crew of HMCS Windsor on Dynamic Manta ‘18 when they were alongside in Augusta and got a tour of the boat.

I left with a tremendous amount of respect for these folks and the hardship they endure daily in the performance of their duties and have felt Canada does them a disservice by not buying them the best boats we can afford as a fairly well-off country.

Windsor.jpg

As a very junior MARE, an effort was made to convince me (and my colleagues) that serving onboard Oberon-class submarines would be good for our careers.

We we were given a tour of an O- boat by a very bitter duty leading seaman. He stunk and obviously hadn't showered in a while. He hated submarines. His clothes stunk and obviously hadn't been laundered in a while. The boat stunk and was filthy. I found nothing appealing. Neither I nor my colleagues chose to serve in submarines.

Not a very well run recruiting effort.

Our crew met the crew of HMCS Windsor on Dynamic Manta ‘18 when they were alongside in Augusta and got a tour of the boat.

I left with a tremendous amount of respect for these folks and the hardship they endure daily in the performance of their duties and have felt Canada does them a disservice by not buying them the best boats we can afford as a fairly well-off country.

View attachment 76159
I feel the same, with added gratitude knowing that, weren't it for their volunteering, I could be voluntold into that dreadful service!

Unless they changed it back its not that way any longer. As I understand it they have had to force some people on to the Subs due to a lack of volunteer force. I remember meeting one Stoker who they basically put his 5s course in a room and said no one was leaving until someone volunteered to be on them.

Then you run into the issue of once your on it, if you want out of it, they won't let you go.

I feel the same, with added gratitude knowing that, weren't it for their volunteering, I could be voluntold into that dreadful service!
The lives we - or at least for some of us - used to lead are not for the faint of heart. You included.

FWIW I enjoy reading about submarines, fighting ships etc - but I don't think I'd like being on a sub.

The lives we - or at least for some of us - used to lead are not for the faint of heart. You included.

FWIW I enjoy reading about submarines, fighting ships etc - but I don't think I'd like being on a sub.
No one wants to be on one. Esp as it’s diving.

I think this could be an opportunity for JOs and HODs to have the same experience and a better relationship with their COs.

Wanna know when you have a bad CO ? Find out how often they were invited to C&POs for a meal. My last one was never given the invite. Not once.
Going to have to hard disagree to that. You would need to break the NWO mafia first. CO's are great at having a relationship with juniour NWOs, cbtOs and D-levels, not so much with the rest. Doesn't mean weren't friendly, and occasionally got invited in for some drinks with the wardroom, but shouldn't be in there regularly.

Case in point, pretty typical for someone getting their BWK to get a big celebration, with lots of gladhanding, champagne opened with swords etc. Someone can work their ass of to get phase 6 or log AHOD done, and you are lucky to get a handshake from most COs. Now they get a stupid pin as well, and at least has some karmic balance that it's ugly.

If the CO was in the wardroom the non-NWOs would never be in there, as you'd be fighting ass kissers for a place to sit down and would be difficult to relax. That's what tends to happen anyway when you get CTG embarked and a number of 3 ringers join the weirdroom.

(Should say I was an outlier that got both a handshake, congratualations and a framed certificate, which I appreciate to this day, but may have something to do with one of the CFRs doing their NTO training politely telling off the CO for ignoring the accomplishment of a winger who finished it a few months before me. I've seen people get presented DLN course certificates with more ceremony than what that guy got at the end of a 5 year training cycle and a brutal 4 hour oral board to get his OFP.)

Copied from the Ukraine Thread.

It's the Canadian Armed Forces not a community college. Being real is communicating clearly to the people before they sign up that they may have the opportunity to get a trade but otherwise they just follow orders (lawful goes without saying). Once someone has signed up they have accepted everything that may come with being in the military including isolated postings and going to a combat zone. That gives the CAF 3 to 9 years to convince the recruit to re-up. It's not the CAF's responsibility to ensure it's members have "marketable skills". That being said, one thing I see that needs to be done is to red seal applicable trades and certify that any applicable training is equivalent and recognized by all provincial/federal standards. It will take much more effort but you'll have committed soldiers.
What has changed is there's a growing entitled sentiment that the CAF must lower its standards and be more sensitive to personal needs and desires in order to increase recruitment. Trying to accommodate the younger public's desires and preferences will be a huge disaster. "Excuse me Sarge, I have a note from my life coach..." That, more than any shortage of equipment or aircraft or ships will water down and degenerate the CAF into an ineffective organization.

One thing I will say on the bolded note, I've seen a significant increase in the number of people who are unable to cope with, well, anything really. It doesn't help that the CAF still pays you a full salary for very limited to zero output. Where is my motivation to get better if I can cruise into work three days a week for 4-5 hours at a time? Cap the available sick time and you'll quickly see these notes from life coaches disappear. Jobs are stressful I get it, but if you can't handle X trade in the CAF, maybe you need to move onto something less demanding.

Im currently going through something akin to "contract negations" with the CAF at the present moment.

I have one part of the CAF trying to keep me, and the other trying to get me. And for the past number of weeks its been offers and counter offers, so to speak.

I'm not sure if its my rank, but I suspect its the climate we are in. But It is very unusual for me to say no to something; and now be told ok don't make any decisions let me see what else is available. 3 years ago I would have been told where the express exit is. I am woefully underprepared for this, anyone have a good agent ? This is all very bizarre.
We've talked.

If you're looking for someone to bounce ideas off of, I promise I'll give you no bullshit answers.

Also, my company is hiring and I could connect you with some folks who would def value your skills and background. Just saying 😉.

Another great group to reach out to is the Treble Victor Group. It's a group of ex-CAF members who now work in the private sector whose mission it is to help transitioning members find success in their post-Military life.

I'm a member and could connect you with some people near you who could give you some advice as well.

We've talked.

If you're looking for someone to bounce ideas off of, I promise I'll give you no bullshit answers.

Also, my company is hiring and I could connect you with some folks who would def value your skills and background. Just saying 😉.

Another great group to reach out to is the Treble Victor Group. It's a group of ex-CAF members who now work in the private sector whose mission it is to help transitioning members find success in their post-Military life.

I'm a member and could connect you with some people near you who could give you some advice as well.

Are you getting a head hunting bonus?

Just wondering, you're doing pretty good ;)

Back