• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

CDN Aviator said:
And of course, not every weapon is a sword. Some trades in the CF are not combat arms but are definitely on the pointy end of things. A sailor who operates the 57mm gus on a frigate during an engagement at sea is definately at the combat end of things. The same can be said of a F-18 pilot, an Aurora crewmember, etc...

<shaking my head>  It was a analogy that was meant to incorporate that the CF as a whole will have sharp edges and other parts that are used to cause damage ( soldier sailor airman ) however for everyone who has a role that involves causing damage to a enemy there is the force behind it that allows those instrument of destruction to carry out the task.  A sword with out the metal behind the edge or the hilt and handle is but a papercutting instrument.

I did use the term Cbt Arms in my post but I did not mean to slight anyone in any part of the forces who are involved in causing damage to the En.

George Wallace said:
Perhaps we should suggest to the ADMEN that they come up with a new phrase line for the CDS on down to use.  Say we instead refer to all members of the CF as being "WARRIORS First, Tradesmen Second".  Would that make you all happy?
But what about chaplains!!!! They're non-combatants under the Geneva Convention!!!!

;D

Really though, that works well.  Because no matter whether your undershirt is black, blue or green, you may very well have to get your hands dirty fighting..

They are not all at the sharp end. Every sword will have a part of the blade not meant to cause damage but to support the sharp/ blunt edges that do.
excellent analogy

CorporalMajor said:
  Because no matter whether your undershirt is black, blue or green, you may very well have to get your hands dirty fighting..

Some people out there , unfortunately, have a very narrow definition of what "fighting" is.

I still can't understand how the "Leaping Leopard" has never made it into a recruiting advert.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=YLb5MiP3tcM

Or ball-hockey, for that matter.

helpup said:
<shaking my head> 

I did use the term Cbt Arms in my post but I did not mean to slight anyone in any part of the forces who are involved in causing damage to the En.

If someone has somehow found it within themselves to be offended over any of the comments or suggestions being tossed out here then they need to get overthemselves.  I know the rest of society in Canada likes to become offended for any little thing, but that doesnt mean we all have to be a bunch of fairies about it!

Everyones on the same team, we all want more effective and cooler ads!

BulletMagnet said:
And this is where the stupid Amalgamation screws everything up...

You know what the Cbt Arms should be allowed to have their own damn recruiting vids..none of this tri service were all on the same team wussy C&*P!. And the guys who dream of being SOR or JTF2 are the exactly the guys we want to recruit in every trade. But hey lets aim for mediocre...

I have a quote that applies here in how we seem to do things "Aim low...Aim so low that when you fail no one notices"

CF 100% should apply and if you have 2 eyes a mostly working body and heart beat you will probably make it..... sound like our current standard eh  ::)
I could not disagree more, but then you know what they say about opinions. These ads are done in a very scientific manner, and are meant to attract from across a wide spectrum. Sure it would be nice to target just combat arms, but then what about the other 85 of the force. I hear you, but the ad budget is only so big and like most other things, needs to get the most bang for the buck. In the meantime, everyone wearing a uniform is a recruiter, and are  the best form of advertising we can get. If you are interested in getting involved then go to forces.ca and sign up under recruiter for a day program.

4Feathers said:
....everyone wearing a uniform is a recruiter, and are the best form of advertising we can get.
:rofl:

As anyone who knows him will attest, "BulletMagnet" is NOT the best form of advertising we can get!!  ;D

Here I was minding my own buisness......  >:D

There was a time when the CF disagreed with you JM..... ;D

But I agree I should not be used as an example of anything, save of course the first rule of TCCC "Don't become a casualty yourself!"

On the topic What I believe is that we should be recruiting in a more aggressive manner as in our ad's should be less happy friendly save people and hand out blankets at a fire and more storming the ship at sea for a drug bust....

The fact that I have had the conversation of "I'm a support trade I don't do that" is the prime example of where we are failing in both our recruiting and our training systems.

BulletMagnet said:
Here I was minding my own buisness......   >:D

On the topic What I believe is that we should be recruiting in a more aggressive manner as in our ad's should be less happy friendly save people and hand out blankets at a fire and more storming the ship at sea for a drug bust....

The fact that I have had the conversation of "I'm a support trade I don't do that" is the prime example of where we are failing in both our recruiting and our training systems.
It was only a suggestion. We get plenty of pointy end guys in the "recruiter for a day" program that represent in professional fashion. If it's not your bag then no worries, but then if your not part of the solution then I would suggest that you not diss the guys that are trying to make a difference. I have been both an operator and a support guy, and I would have to say they both play critical roles in the success of any operation. Best of luck to you.

Has anyone seen the new CF ad?

It makes the CF look like it's a damn video game.

Ridiculous, it doesn't look like it's online anywhere yet.

SevenSixTwo said:
Has anyone seen the new CF ad?

It makes the CF look like it's a damn video game.

I just saw the one for AEC, i dont know if thats the one you saw.

If it is, i have to ask, what else was it supposed to look like ?

CDN Aviator said:
I just saw the one for AEC, i dont know if thats the one you saw.

If it is, i have to ask, what else was it supposed to look like ?

Basically, it looks like your in some sort of video game and then it advances to a ridiculously easy question and asks "Do you have what it takes to be in the Canadian Forces? Try this skill testing question: What is 12 x 8? Is it A, B, C or D and then there's a 30 second timer for you to think about what 12 x 8 is and then it says text your answer to "#####". Correct answers will be contacted.

I can't believe they did this to be honest it's just such a shock. We went from our old military commercials where it looks like it's summer camp and everyone flies CF-18s and does super cool stuff 24/7

(AKA:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K69jwRkm04 )

To our 2008 more serious commercials to the CF being something that is serious, should be taken seriously and isn't as high tempo as the previous commercial.

(AKA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnzz6WznsE8 )

To the current 2011 commercial which, returns us to same origins as the original commercial except this time worse!

I felt like it made the CF look like total idiots. Seriously 12 x 8? PEOPLE WHO GET THAT RIGHT WILL BE CONTACTED?!

Those of you going to the movies might see it but it looks like it still isn't online anywhere.

I just got back from seeing the Adjustment Bureau and they played one of these stupid puzzle recruiting commercials first...

It had some geometric cutout problem to solve a la the CFAT. It was lame and everyone around us kind of thought it was stupid. About 5 minutes later they played the older one with the SAR Techs rescuing people and the Navy/Air Force busting traffickers...much better.

Spectrum said:
I just got back from seeing the Adjustment Bureau and they played one of these stupid puzzle recruiting commercials first...

I've never seen such a commercial before, I feel kind of left out.

My sister mentioned seeing one last time she was at the movies.  Trying to reach out to the "current" generation?

Peace said:
And dont blame me if you get the word "fight" BURNED into your sub concious :skull:

Before anyone says anything, I know I'm replying to a post made almost 6 years ago...

But that "fight" ad campaign ended up producing some of the better recruiting ads we've had in the last say, 20 years?

Andrew Brunton said:
I think recruiting campaigns which try and gloss over the reality of an infantrymen‘s job
can only lead to recruits unwilling to do their real job. The role of infantry is to close with
and destroy the enemy. Not to have fun and exciting job oppurtunities in the Canadian
Forces as a recent advertisment on TV stated. I plan to join the CF as an infantrymen
and I know the reality of the situation. In combat you will be called upon to fight, and
very possibly be killed. If this reality isn‘t mentioned at all in recruiting, and no mention is
given to personal sacrifice and immense personal and phsycial challenge the wrong people
will join. I‘m prepared to live in horrible conditions on little sleep for weeks in real field
operations. But is everyone else planning on joining prepared for that? If basic becomes
weaker and training overall becomes more lax our forces will lose any resemblance of a
fighting edge. As a small military force we should be making up for our smaller numbers
by putting out better soldiers from our training programs. A smaller number of dedicated and focused soldiers can equal the effeciency of a larger number of soft and unenchanted
soldiers. I hope the standards remain high, and the recruitment campaigns remain true
to reality so when I join I‘ll be bombarded with intense training, but have fellow trainees
who I can rely on. To that goal training can turn out newer soldiers more experienced
ones can count on to carry their load and perform their role in operations

You have NOOOOOO idea what you are talking about. I am in the Infantry... yes BMQ and DP1 seem hard at the time but they arent intense. Second off.. you think when you hit your Battallion you'll be training non-stop and get to be hard? Think again. I hope you like to sit around for hours looking at lockers doing nothing day after day. You may ask.. oh why dont we train all the time..simple... Its not in the budget. The military is a business and has to stay in its spending left and right arc., They cant keep sending troops to ranges and excersise because lack of money and qual. People to lead them. Also when people see they can have a exciting career on commercials sure you can.. only if you get picked by chain of command to go on certain courses you need to purse these actions. Being new to a base you'll be put to end of the line for things, unless your with a platoon of shit pumps. Well after spending a year at your actual unit let me know if its everything you dreamed of.

You do realize your first post is correcting someone who commented nearly 10 years ago?

kratz said:
You do realize your first post is correcting someone who commented nearly 10 years ago?

Perhaps, but he raises good points.

The only part he missed was the fact that, on operations, you'll be paid the same "hazard" allowance as people that are exposed to virtually no "hazard" in the interests of not offending anyone.

I have an idea for a new recruiting poster - hard hitting and designed to convey the gritty reality of the CF:

Double-amputees sitting next to desk jockies with a byline that reads "Equal pay for equal risk!".

It would certainly solve the problem of the infantry being over-populated. Don't even get me started on the EOD allowance.

Back