• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

Dolphin Hunter,

We are all taught basic marksmanship, fieldcraft, section attack drills, etc (perhaps with the exception of chaplains and MedO's)  in BMQ/BMOQ.  Wouldn't that indicate we are all soldiers first before anything else?

helpup said:
The big reason is for the past 25 + years that I can actively recall commercials and was familiar with what our capability as a military was. We have had a changing tune for recruitment in all that time and more likely even longer.  From Campy commercials, to the Hey the army is just like any business but great benefits. 

Remember "Ask us about you" and "There's no life like it". Horrible campaigns enough to make one puke. Remember the one where the guy in CF greens got off a business jet carrying a briefcase, like most people in the CF went to work that way. The current ones at least do portray in most cases uniquely military activities.

stealthylizard said:
Dolphin Hunter,

We are all taught basic marksmanship, fieldcraft, section attack drills, etc (perhaps with the exception of chaplains and MedO's)  in BMQ/BMOQ.  Wouldn't that indicate we are all soldiers first before anything else?

Prolly because people flying around in airplanes and floating in a tin can don't  and can't hold ground-boots on a specific grid square do, regardless of trade.

Wasn't trying o refer to them being able to hold ground.  But say they are in KAF, any one of them can be tasked to security, which is a basic soldiering skill.  Everyone in the military learns those skills in BMQ for a particular reason.  Sorry, this is getting off topic.

stealthylizard said:
Dolphin Hunter,

So what?  I have been taught how to use the C7. (trust me you don't want me providing covering fire)

I have never been taught how to do section attack drills, as for fieldcraft?   On my BMQ (1996) we spent one week camping, we went to the range, we did some map work, that's it!    

So if it comes to the point where I am leading a section attack, then we are in a world of hurt.

PuckChaser said:
On the same token, the CF isn't only recruiting SAR Techs, Naval Officers and boarding parties which is all I see in the current commericials.
From the brief we were given the other day (thrilling afternoon), the Navy is having huge problems attracting new applicants, while the Air Force is hurting, its not as bad as the Navy.  It should be no surprise that the Army is having no problems getting people into the recruiting centers.

So why would they show commercials of army guys running around doing stuff?  Plus as it has been stated already that the commercials also remind "Joe Public" that there is more to the CF than Afghanistan.

PuckChaser said:
On the same token, the CF isn't only recruiting SAR Techs, Naval Officers and boarding parties which is all I see in the current commericials.

Maybe you need to watch more TV or something. I have seen army medics do their thing, infantrymen clearing rooms, TAC Hel doing whatever tac hel does.......

a78jumper said:
Remember "Ask us about you" and "There's no life like it". Horrible campaigns enough to make one puke. Remember the one where the guy in CF greens got off a business jet carrying a briefcase, like most people in the CF went to work that way. The current ones at least do portray in most cases uniquely military activities.

Oh I remember them, and in retrospect they appealed to the public's wants back in the Day.  Travel just like a business man. Since the Villiage people would of been too expensive to produce a jingle for us we got " there is no life like it"  Trouble is I still say that tune is catchy enough that parts of the jingle float through my head occasionally like floats-am does the Halifax harbour.

Point being though is even with those commercials we as a army did take all sorts in who responded to them and turned out a pretty good product.  Mind you the Trg system was differant then but that would be a whole other topic.

4Feathers said:
I would say yes, but at a basic level, and if you think otherwise then perhaps you have chosen the wrong occupation.

Please explain to me how LS Bloggins, who is a NES Op on a CPF, is a "soldier first".  ::)

Please explain to me how LS Bloggins, who is a NES Op on a CPF, is a "soldier first".  Roll Eyes

LS Bloggins might not be a soldier first. But what about LS Smith, who's a medic attached to an inf rifle coy?

Are some in the Navy soldiers first, and others sailors first? Are purple trades soldiers first, but other navy trades not?  I personally think that the CF has been able to handle these kinds of situations fairly well and I have no complaints about the Navy and AF pers I've worked with.  Just playing devil's advocate here...

Wonderbread said:
LS Bloggins might not be a soldier first. But what about LS Smith, who's a medic attached to an inf rifle coy?

Are some in the Navy soldiers first, and others sailors first? Are purple trades soldiers first, but other navy trades not?  I personally think that the CF has been able to handle these kinds of situations fairly well and I have no complaints about the Navy and AF pers I've worked with.  Just playing devil's advocate here...

This almost belongs in that "dumbest thing thread". 
If LS Bloggins is working aboard HMCS Vancouver, then he is a sailor first (yes even as a purple trade). 
If LS Bloggins is working aboard a CC150, or in the field, obviously he is not a sailor first.

So the Hull Tech standing guard at KAF, is just that a Hull Tech standing guard, so I guess he would be a soldier first.  I am also willing to bet if you went up to him and reminded him of that fact, he would probably reply with a "who f*cking cares?".  He is not thinking of his duties as a member of a ships company, he is focused on his task at hand and being a sailor first would not be his current task.  It depends on where you are working and what you are doing. 

P

Off topic, but not really since the forum is originally about recruiting ads... hard lols to be had, guaranteed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAHrHd2lcw

If the link doesn't work, look in YouTube for VDV. And while you're at it look for the Ukrainian Army recruiting commercial. They'll show you that your BTR-60 is good for picking up chicks.

Be glad that the CF is not using music videos to attract recruits.

Back in 1999 there was this CF ad on TV that showed this young engineer recruit navigating an obstacle course while this upbeat pop music played in the background. Anyone got a link? I haven't thrown up yet today.

Also, around the same time there was an army reserve ad that showed this guy running from his house with a duffle bag, jumping in his jeep and speeding away (one can only assume that he was going directly from his house to the nearest conflict zone). Links plz.

Prototype said:
Off topic, but not really since the forum is originally about recruiting ads... hard lols to be had, guaranteed...

;D

Old news.  Been posted before.

stealthylizard said:
Dolphin Hunter,

I'm with doplhinhunter.  Every branch of any military is taught weaponry and navigation, and I'm sure most lean basic fieldcraft. I didn't know they taught section attacks on BMQ (but they should).

Nonetheless. If you're in the Navy, you are a Sailor. Navy SEALs can fight on land and are trained as paratroopers, but are they soldiers? No.. Are the USAF Combat Controllers "soldiers", no, they are Airmen because they work for the air force.. Are Clearance Divers soldiers, No... even though they could put up a fight, and have worked in Afg as ordnance disposal.

We in the CF are all expected to survive in the field should the situation present itself, infantryman, pilot or Navy Tech alike.  That is elementary to all of us, so in my mind it doesn't ake you a "soldier first." In all likelihood a hard air or hard navy trade won't go in the bush as often as hard army trades. And then the Army, Navy and AF are different beasts, with different customs...... :salute:

Wasn't saying that everyone would be infanteer qualified, or be able to lead a section in a firefight (we learned section attacks during BMQ in 2008).  But we are all expected to be able to function with a weapon (don't need to be a sniper, just hit the target at least once) in our hands, regardless of trade/element.

I am a LS NESOP though I am a 280 guy. I prefer to fire long range missiles.  I am NOT a soldier first. I am a sailor. I did NOT join the army, I joined the NAVY. We may not be allowed to be royal any more but I am proud to be a sailor. It is a different world to the air force or to the army. We are not soldiers first. That is a army saying. We are sailors first. being able to handle a weapon properly does not make one a soldier just a trained sailor.

sledge said:
I am a LS NESOP though I am a 280 guy. I prefer to fire long range missiles.  I am NOT a soldier first. I am a sailor. I did NOT join the army, I joined the NAVY. We may not be allowed to be royal any more but I am proud to be a sailor. It is a different world to the air force or to the army. We are not soldiers first. That is a army saying. We are sailors first. being able to handle a weapon properly does not make one a soldier just a trained sailor.

Well said.  I was in the army, now the navy and they are two totally different worlds.  We are all sailors first, and being a sailor means weapons handling, security sentry, watch ect...  So in many respects sailors have some comonalities with the basic soldier, but they are still very much sailors.

I think the point is, the CF in my view is an employer that has a job for just about anyone, provided they are motivated enough and are of decent character of course.  You can be a hull teach, a infantryman, a pilot, a doctor, anything at all.  The problem then becomes how do you design a recruiting campaign to accomodate such a dynamic and unique employer.  We are diversified, we are different, with many different skills and cultures but we are still all warriors none the less.  In my opinion recruiting would be best served by element specific advertizing, but you know Canada, we dont like to spend money on such valuable things as defence...

But I digress,

Perhaps we can all agree we are warriors first?

Agreed on the Soldier, Sailor, and even Airman.  In my experience even for the Army.  They non Cbt Arms trades are taught basic Wpns Handling drills, have to fire a PWT, get a basic Field Ex done in basic ( and I do mean basic it in no way or shape prepares you to be a infanteer or we wouldn't have a intense BSL, SQ or what ever you want to call it.)  If non Cbt Arms are posted to a Field unit they will get some Exercise time and Trg. But even that is not guaranteed to be of any substantial level.  It was brought up about sure they can man the gate.  ( oversees ) Since they had to go through TMST Trg and the other check in the boxes.  But there are people over there despite having all that Trg can have and will let that knowledge go in one ear and out the other.  They also tend to lack the experience to apply that knowledge in a tense situation. This is something I have seen more then one occasion. You can say that it is a leadership problem in not ensuring they are not trained. But like all skills you are going to have skills fade if you don't use it and if you were never fully trained in it then that fade is exponentially increased.

Anyhow I agree there are allot of trades in the Military that can please pretty well anyone. They are not all at the sharp end. Every sword will have a part of the blade not meant to cause damage but to support the sharp/ blunt edges that do.

helpup said:
Every sword will have a part of the blade not meant to cause damage but to support the sharp/ blunt edges that do.

And of course, not every weapon is a sword. Some trades in the CF are not combat arms but are definately on the pointy end of things. A sailor who operates the 57mm gus on a frigate during an engagement at sea is definately at the combat end of things. The same can be said of a F-18 pilot, an Aurora crewmember, etc...

Perhaps we should suggest to the ADMEN that they come up with a new phrase line for the CDS on down to use.  Say we instead refer to all members of the CF as being "WARRIORS First, Tradesmen Second".  Would that make you all happy?

Back