• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Process/Medical Standard questions.

Little Coyote

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello.

I know these questions have been asked many times on this forum, but I've found I have to ask for myself.

I plan to enroll in the military as an Infantry Soldier. But I have a question about how long the recruiting process takes. I know it varies for everyone, but is it almost guaranteed to take at least 3 months? I am asking because I'm still in school, in the final stretch of Grade 12. I want to know so that if I apply before I graduate, I don't get sent off to BMQ before I can finish. On a related note, if they do offer me a job before I finish school, is there an option where I can finish school before being sent off?

I have no criminal record, and I am going to graduate with well over a hundred credits, so there is no reason for those to be obstacles. But my second question, another that has been asked frequently, is if I will be disqualified from the Infantry for my vision. I have -4.00 in one eye, -3.75 in the other, which means without glasses or contacts, I have difficulty seeing much of anything. I looked at this CFHS Minimum Medical Standards graph, but I can't make heads or tails of what any of it means.

Again, I know that these questions have been asked and answered before, but, I would like some information, please.

Thank you for your time.

Are you talking about Reg force or Reserves? The length of the recruiting process is not guaranteed because, as you correctly said, it varies for everyone. For what it's worth, I applied for Reserves in Toronto this February and I've got Medical in April. I can't answer your question regarding job offer conflict with your graduation, but of course you should be focused on doing your best in school.

Your medical question is best answered in this very informative thread:http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31590.0.html. Check out the conversions further down that thread and line it up with your vision category to see if you meet V3.

Keep in mind, it's not the end of the world if you don't meet the vision category for your selected trade!

Little Coyote said:
I know these questions have been asked many times on this forum, but I've found I have to ask for myself...

...But my second question, another that has been asked frequently...

...Again, I know that these questions have been asked and answered before, but, I would like some information, please.

I'm a little confused. Are you asking for clarification of any information you've already found regarding your inquiries, or do you want someone to reply to your questions specifically, rather than applying/utilizing the answers you've come across from other posts?

Little Coyote said:
I plan to enroll in the military as an Infantry Soldier. But I have a question about how long the recruiting process takes. I know it varies for everyone, but is it almost guaranteed to take at least 3 months?...

Based on numerous threads from other applicants (or those thinking of applying), as well as my own experience, the odds of your process taking considerably longer than 3 months are very high.  I would apply as soon as you feel ready to and when you think you'll be best suited. (i.e. have you spoken to a recruiter or read posts regarding your competitiveness/what you have to offer compared to other applicants for your trade?) I believe you will have ample time to complete your schooling.

Little Coyote said:
...On a related note, if they do offer me a job before I finish school, is there an option where I can finish school before being sent off?

If it were to occur, I believe you can ask to delay your BMQ date until you've graduated.

Little Coyote said:
...But my second question, another that has been asked frequently, is if I will be disqualified from the Infantry for my vision. I have -4.00 in one eye, -3.75 in the other, which means without glasses or contacts, I have difficulty seeing much of anything. I looked at this CFHS Minimum Medical Standards graph, but I can't make heads or tails of what any of it means.

I can't offer any insight/advice here. I would recommend you speak with your CFRC for specific clarification on this issue. Please do your best to incorporate the information you find on the site into your own process. As you mentioned, many questions are/have been asked similar to yours. I don't think I was able to offer anything more than what you already may have read; but if clarification is what you were seeking then hopefully this helps you.

Coyote,

Some answers for you:

1.  It may take 3 days, it may take 3 months, it may take 3 years.  Sorry.  There is no way to tell.  When I was working recruiting I saw all of those.  We had some applicants who started their process on Monday and were on their way to Basic that weekend.  Now, saying that, it was the height of the Afghan conflict.  Now days from what I've heard from the dark side of recruiting, you will have more then enough time to complete high school, and you will need to start your application now in order to get things moving as the system has rather slowed down a bit.

In fact, you will be encouraged to complete High School.  This will;

1.  Make you more competitive during the selection process
          2.  Will serve you better during your career if you want to pursue any other education avenues such as College or work on a Degree
          3.  God forbid you get injured/ill and are released, or decided to end your career, you will need it (trust me)

2.  Yes the vision thing can be a little tricky to read, but there is more to assigning your vision factor then just your prescription.  We use your corrected/uncorrected vision as well, and there is some math involved if you are close being blind as a bat (doesn't look like you btw).  I know that you are interested in the infantry, however be prepared that you may have to choose another trade either due to your vision or other reasons ie. Not hiring for it.  There are lots to choose from.  Then go and speak to the recruiters, start your file and get your aptitude test out of the way. 

With those results in hand you might find a few jobs you initially qualify for that you didn't think of, don't make any hasty decisions and don't close any doors yet. 

Good Luck    :salute:

Thanks to all for the replies.

Leeema: I was talking about the Reg force, and I especially thank you for that chart. It seemed to clarify some things, although I could just be more confused now. . .
And I hope I do meet the vision requirements, or I'll be stuck working for the money to pay for LASIK/PRK surgery. Although, from the look of it, I'm below 6/60, and the requirement is V3.  :(
I hope they take in regard my glasses corrected vision (As MedTech32 said), which is basically 20/20.

BeyondTheNow: Clarification/Case-by-case assessment. The answers that I found had been numerous and sometimes conflicting, and I was interested in more a personalized answer to my specific case.

Regardless of whether your reply answered my questions (& it did, somewhat), you've provided me with information, insight, and food for thought, so I thank you for your post.

MedTech32: Believe me, there will be nothing stopping me from finishing High School. My parents would knife me if I did not. I will complete High School, though, whether I make it to the end of this semester or not, as the only core course I am doing now is Math 30-1, and I only needed the 20 level. They could hand me my diploma now, really.

And thank you for the hope you've given me by telling me that corrected vision is put into account. I know that after I am 21 (Which is considered the time when your eyes stop growing), I will be getting laser eye surgery, anyway.

I have been researching joining the military for over two years now. I've looked at practically all the trades (Avoided Air-force, & now not looking at Navy), and I know I qualify for nearly all of them, even the Officer Ranks. I can list off the top of my head the Battle Training Schools, and I know the full name of St-Jean (Although my french-Canadian pronunciation is probably off), how many weeks I will be there, and many other tidbits that they want you to know for the interview. I even know about the autobiography they want you to fill out for BMQ, which is a difficult thing to find any info on. I am not choosing the Infantry Soldier because I am dumb or anything (Not saying you were thinking that, of course, just providing info that says this isn't a last-choice thing. Imagine me saying this in a nice voice, because that's how it is meant), for I have teachers that say I act ten or twenty years older than I am. They all agree I'm much maturer, and smarter than most in my class, anyway. I want to be an infantry soldier because it is what I want to do. My Great-grandfather was back in WW2, and he is my middle namesake (If that makes any sense). I will wait two years for an opening, if I must.

Although, I will always consider Armored Soldier. . . The company car is one hell of a beast. . .

I guess the so-far consensus is start the application now. So, I will start filling it out in a week or two (First have to gather references, ones that will give me 'glowing' reviews).

I thank you all again for your information and insight, and I wish you good luck in all your endeavors (Especially Leeema, good luck with your Medical exam and all else that comes after).  :cdn:

Little Coyote said:
Thanks to all for the replies...

BeyondTheNow: Clarification/Case-by-case assessment. The answers that I found had been numerous and sometimes conflicting, and I was interested in more a personalized answer to my specific case.

Regardless of whether your reply answered my questions (& it did, somewhat), you've provided me with information, insight, and food for thought, so I thank you for your post...

All the best and good luck!

Thought I'd add a little update, although I am unsure if anyone would care. . .

I now see 20/20, thanks to LASIK surgery! Sadly, my first sight was an empty wallet. . . But I digress.

I filled out the online application forms, and faxed in the source material on Monday. With a little luck, I'll be off to BMQ as soon as possible.

Again, I thank all of you for your help and insight.

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but I recently had my medical done, and my lens prescription is lower than yours for both eyes and correctable to 20/20, but I was classified as V4 (ruling me out of my first choice trade :( .) Now, every case is different so I of course can't say for sure that you won't get the necessary V3 category, but it's important to keep expectations in check and make trade selections that you'll be satisfied with if you don't qualify for Infantry. LASIK is definitely a good option to consider if you have the means and just cannot fathom doing anything else, but there are tons of really awesome trades that aren't combat arms.

Back