• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

My references are from Portugal, which has the same timezone as the UK. There was no problem in reaching them. They emailed them first asking what availability they had and then worked from there. There were no issues at all.
Hope that helps.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could chose to decide if you want the recruiters to contact your previous employer. The thing is, I used to work at McDonalds and then just never showed up again. Should I include it or completely omit that? Secondly, do I have to list all four references?

Much appreciated,

Asked and answered multiple times in this helpful and stickied thread that is 24 pages long.  Your laziness will get you far in life  ::)

http://army.ca/forums/threads/12763.0

Hello:

I have a question regarding the length of refrence checks. I understand the forces sub-contract this section out.

I am being processed for AVN Tech and i did my medical and interview April 22nd. My workplace has been contacted for a "work history check"

My question to you is:

It has been over 2 months since my last contact and none of my refrences have yet been contacted. Should i be concerned about my file being misplaced? Should i call the company that does these checks and ask?

I was informed by my Career Counselor that i am a strong candadate because of my red seal trade as an Automotive Service Tech. He said the checks take 4-6 weeks. I am just getting worried because nothing has happened now for some time...

Please let me know your opinion.

Thank you

James Bickford

James,

Do not concern yourself on how the security company conducts reference checks. Just because you provided a reference does not mean that they are going to contact them directly. If there was an issue, your Recruiting Detachment would have contacted you.

Stay in contact with your detachment (at least every 30 days).

It just seems odd that i was told 4-6 weeks and its been over 2 months... It has me worried because I'm almost done and i really do not want any unnecessary delays.
Thank you for your input i will call my recruitment center next week and ask them what is going on.

As mentioned by Master Seaman Robert, the security company may not directly contact your references. Your detachment isn't going to call you exactly after six weeks to let you know how the security check went, unless there was an issue. For all you know, the check is most likely done. You can call or visit your detachment in order to get an update on your file.

I was in the same boat a few months ago after my last interview in February. I waited about 2 months, then called and asked for a status update. They informed me they were waiting on the background check.. told it could take anywhere from 2 weeks, to 2 years depending. One of my references were contacted, and I finally got my offer 2 weeks ago. So, my advice, keep calling every few weeks for an update and be VERY patient. It will pay off in the end.

I had to do another interview because it has been over a year since I first applied for Pilot, and the interviewer said that I needed to re-submit my references. OK easy enough. But he seemed also to say that all 4 had to be professional references. No where can I find any criteria for references other than one has to have known them for 5 or more consecutive years, and that they cannot be family. He seemed to be saying that they can't be friends. He mentioned some policy change as well. I am quite sure he is mistaken but it has me very worried.

MikeD said:
I had to do another interview because it has been over a year since I first applied for Pilot, and the interviewer said that I needed to re-submit my references. OK easy enough. But he seemed also to say that all 4 had to be professional references. No where can I find any criteria for references other than one has to have known them for 5 or more consecutive years, and that they cannot be family. He seemed to be saying that they can't be friends. He mentioned some policy change as well. I am quite sure he is mistaken but it has me very worried.
It has changed, unfortunately. Four references who were former supervisors or 'leaders' in your life. No friends, no family, no same level coworkers. I had a heck of a time finding mine as well. They do not have to be recent, as long as they knew you more than five years, but I found that former teachers who I had not been in touch with in the last eight years weren't interested in being my reference.
If you've had the same doctor for a while, attend a church or something, you can use those people.
Good luck. :)

niftynicolemarie said:
It has changed, unfortunately. Four references who were former supervisors or 'leaders' in your life. No friends, no family, no same level coworkers. I had a heck of a time finding mine as well. They do not have to be recent, as long as they knew you more than five years, but I found that former teachers who I had not been in touch with in the last eight years weren't interested in being my reference.
If you've had the same doctor for a while, attend a church or something, you can use those people.
Good luck. :)

Thank you for the reply. Strange that the instructions on their forms are contrary to what they want.

This is what was mentioned in the Personal Data Verification form I received:
"Professional References: These persons are former supervisors, managers or your direct report to."

I've worked in the same place for the past 5 years, so can my references be my CURRENT boss, managers, supervisors or anyone else that gives me work to do at the office?

The recruiter I'm dealing with told me that as long as the SUM of the years my references have known me is 5 years, it's ok.
I have 4 professional references that know me for 7-12 years each and he said only one of them would have been enough (yes, I'm an older applicant)

Thx.  Another thing that's a bit confusing, the first page of the form describes 3 types of references: Professional, Educational, Personal.  But the actual section where I write down my references is labelled as "Professional References".  Does that mean I can't put down Educational or Personal at all?

TJC said:
I've worked in the same place for the past 5 years, so can my references be my CURRENT boss, managers, supervisors or anyone else that gives me work to do at the office?

Yes. I did that and there was no problem.
As for the professional reference section, I believe that's the CAF's way of telling you they prefer professional references. Insert educational and personal references only if you have insufficient professional references. Give your recruiter a call and ask him/her if they need a sum of 5 years of references, or 5 years per reference.
Even if it's a SUM, it wouldn't hurt to add more references.
I tell you this from the limited experience I have dealing with my recruiter; I spoke to him a few times over the phone and saw him in person once.

When I filled out my application two years ago (I was originally going for Reserves, switched to Regular force)
I only had to use four references.

I put down two family friends, and two friends due to me not having a single professional or educational reference that I knew for 5+ years.

I realize I messed up now, but the security company is already in the process of doing the background check.

What will happen when (I assume) they call me to tell me I can't use those certain references? Will I be told to find new references, or will I have to restart my application from the beginning?

I doubt they would restart your whole application. They would more then likely ask for a new set of references which qualify.

I am hoping someone here has my answer. I have to fill out new security clearance forms, and this one is a little different then the first two I filled out during my application. For character references it wants 3 and a neighbourhood reference, I as well as my family don't even know our neighbours. Would I be fine if I were just to put N/A?

They asked for it, so they want it.

I am by no means an expert but what I did was use someone I knew who lived in the same town (<1000 Population) as me a few blocks away. I didn't have any problems.

If you don't know your neighbours I'd recommend that use someone that lives fairly close by to you.

Or you could call your CFRC and see what they advise.

Back