• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

You could be in for a long wait I finished everything on October 22 2014. I've never left Canada, have no criminal record, and everything else that should make it go by fast... over 3 months later they still haven't finished the enhanced reliability screening. I know a guy who applied after I did his screening was done after a month and a half and went to BMQ at the start of January. And there's people who have been waiting longer then me. No one can give you an estimate on how long it will take it could be a month then again it could be 6 months. It all depends on how quickly they decide they want to work.

IF those friends know your since your 16 , you can put them . Other than that i think they really want professional reference . But the best person to answer that is for sure your recruiter .

I was  self-employed some time.
What about references for this type of employment history ?

I'm a bit confused about the 5 years requirement.

If I worked for a man for a period of 3 years, two years ago, does he count as an acceptable reference?

Yup, since that person now knows you for 5 years.

methionine said:
I'm a bit confused about the 5 years requirement.

If I worked for a man for a period of 3 years, two years ago, does he count as an acceptable reference?

This seems to be a recurring problem, so I will try my best to shed some light on the topic.

The references which you provide as part of the Reliability Screening process, can be categorized as follows:

a.  Educational References: These persons are former or current teachers, professors, coaches, instructors or trainers;
b.  Professional References: These persons are former or current supervisors, managers, overseers, advisors, or employers; and
c.  Personal References: These persons can be a minister, clergyman, mentor, counsellor, community leader, etc.

You must provided "adequate" information to verify the three categories above.  "Adequate" information, constitutes "5-years" of verifiable information, therefore, you need to provide sufficient references, to cover 5 years for each of the required categories.  As an example, you can list a teacher from High School that you knew for 2 years and a sports coach whom you have known for 3 years.  (ie; 2+3=5).  For professional references you can use employers and "employment" can be paid or non-paid (ie; volunteer) activities.  Personal references are fairly straight forward.

It is much easier if your reference can fill the entire 5 years but in cases where they can't, you should try and provide additional references as well.  The MORE the BETTER!

Is it a huge deal if some data is missing for references and workplace history? Just small things like email addresses and some of my references only provided a evening telephone number.

snasd17 said:
Is it a huge deal if some data is missing for references and workplace history? Just small things like email addresses and some of my references only provided a evening telephone number.

Before using someone as a "reference", you should at least have their permission.  If they agree, then you need to obtain as much contact information as possible from them.  If the CF or it's contract agents aren't able to make contact with your reference(s), then it not only delays your processing but you just might be asked to provide different ones.

DAA said:
Before using someone as a "reference", you should at least have their permission.  If they agree, then you need to obtain as much contact information as possible from them.  If the CF or it's contract agents aren't able to make contact with your reference(s), then it not only delays your processing but you just might be asked to provide different ones.

I do have all my references permission, however for workplace history I'm unable to obtain my supervisors email address however I have their phone numbers, and two of my references were teachers so they decided not to provide their daytime numbers at work.

snasd17 said:
I do have all my references permission, however for workplace history I'm unable to obtain my supervisors email address however I have their phone numbers, and two of my references were teachers so they decided not to provide their daytime numbers at work.

You should be okay.  Time will tell......

Hello all,

I did a quick search and didn't see an answer to my question, but if there is one and I missed it, please merge this thread.

For our references on the DND Personal Data Verification form we bring to the CFAT, do we have to know each of our four references for at least 5 years, or do our references have to cover the past 5 years total. I read the literature and the wording confused me, "Your references, either individually or in combination, must have known you for at least the last five continuous years..."

I do a lot of contract work and was am a previous student who didn't maintain a lot of contact with University professors, so I just want to make sure my references are valid.

Thanks guys,

eharps

Hello Eharps

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces.

It is a combination of 5 continuous years. So as long as there is a continuous 5 year period total between all your references you should be fine.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

eharps said:
Thanks George

As site SEARCH is often not effective, best to use GOOGLE by typing in "army.ca, ________" and whatever keywords you are looking for in order to find answers to your questions quicker.

eharps said:
Hello all,

I did a quick search and didn't see an answer to my question, but if there is one and I missed it, please merge this thread.

For our references on the DND Personal Data Verification form we bring to the CFAT, do we have to know each of our four references for at least 5 years, or do our references have to cover the past 5 years total. I read the literature and the wording confused me, "Your references, either individually or in combination, must have known you for at least the last five continuous years..."

I do a lot of contract work and was am a previous student who didn't maintain a lot of contact with University professors, so I just want to make sure my references are valid.

The answer to your question, is right on the front page of the form that you filled out.

http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/PersonalDataVerification.pdf

"Selecting your References:
A valid reference is defined as an adult (18 years of age or older) that knows you well enough to provide a worthwhile, fair and adequate assessment about your personal character. Members of the family or relatives, family friends, friends, neighbours, co-workers or peers are not considered valid references.
The references can be categorized as follows:
a. Educational References: these persons are former or current teachers, professors, coaches, instructors, or trainers;
b. Professional References: these persons are former or current supervisors, managers, overseers, advisors, or employers; and
c. Personal References: these persons can be a minister, clergyman, mentor, counsellor, community leader, etc.
Your references, either individually or in combination, must have known you for at least the last five (5) continuous years (or to age 16, whichever comes first). "

I also answered it, 5 posts above your original question  ----->  http://army.ca/forums/threads/12763/post-1355235.html#msg1355235

Hey,
So I completed my CFAT today and was handed the DND form to refill my information regarding my references. For my last reference however, I accidentally put five years because the rest of my references I have known for 5 years so I wrote it in all columns for number of years I have known the person. I have actually known them for only 2.5 years, is there anyway to adjust it or change it? will this affect the process? I already handed it to my recruiter and he booked my medical and interview. I have three educational references and one professional in which the professional one is the reference that I've only known for 2.5 years.

mikegf6 said:
Hey,
So I completed my CFAT today and was handed the DND form to refill my information regarding my references. For my last reference however, I accidentally put five years because the rest of my references I have known for 5 years so I wrote it in all columns for number of years I have known the person. I have actually known them for only 2.5 years, is there anyway to adjust it or change it? will this affect the process? I already handed it to my recruiter and he booked my medical and interview. I have three educational references and one professional in which the professional one is the reference that I've only known for 2.5 years.

You're asking us?  Why not ask the person who you gave the forms to?  Or not ask anyone at all and wait for them to ask you?

Back