• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

zysr said:
Thanks for the help, but I honestly can't think of ONE to fit the bill...forget three..

Not even an employer or former employer?  Remember that the purpose of the reference letter is not just to say "he's a great guy" but also to confirm that you are who you say you are...

scouthern said:
Alright, what the hell is this  ;D. All you of you have three references they want me to have 5 and I've lived in this country since birth  ::)

Are you certain that's what was said?  Or was it references that have known you for 5 years?

Ask the CFRC staff why they have a different requirement than that listed on the website.  That should clarify the situation, since there is a national, standardized process that is being used.

scouthern said:
Nope, during my CFAT they told me to fill out a new application and it was a new reference sheet. It says please list FIVE references who have known you for 5+ years.

Well.  As someone who has something to do with recruiting, this is something new to me and some others.  Perhaps, seeing as you have this form now in your possession, you can look in the bottom left corner and tell us what FORM NUMBER this form is?  Inquiring minds would like to know.

Every Government Form has an Document Number.  Look again........or perhaps a scan would help.

With the info provided about Backcheck, I think I know whats happening. Recruiting is developing a new reference check process, which uses a contractor.  That contractor is Backcheck, and the form would be what they are using to gather data to do the check.  Vancouver was the first site to be used, to work out the kinks.  If you have questions, you'll have to take it up with the CFRC.

scouthern said:
Are too many undesirables sneaking their way into the CF? I have nothing to hide but this is just another step back in the recruiting process, it's done by a contracting company, and god knows when they'll ever get to my application check, once the CF submits this form to backcheck my process is halted until BackCheck decides to scrutinize my 17 years of life  ::).

Yah yah, be patient, let the process take it's course  :-\

:crybaby:

You whine like you are the first one to ever have a backgroundcheck ! I hate to break it to you kid but for my level 3 i had to pull 20 years worth of adresses, they talked to my neighbours, called coworkers, etc, etc, etc.......and i was already in the CF for 11 years. You are just some nobody trying to join so, yes, they are going to check on you too !

It is not a "step back", it is part of the process. Stop whining and start doing what is required of you.

scouthern said:
Are too many undesirables sneaking their way into the CF? I have nothing to hide but this is just another step back in the recruiting process, it's done by a contracting company, and god knows when they'll ever get to my application check, once the CF submits this form to backcheck my process is halted until BackCheck decides to scrutinize my 17 years of life  ::).

Yah yah, be patient, let the process take it's course  :-\

for someone not through the process yet you are making a large assumption there.  Sounds to me like this is actually a step forward as we now have a company dedicated to doing the checks instead of overworked recruiting staff and military police doing it. To me this should actually speed up the process vice drag it out.

My only concern is the 5 references of 5+ years. I know I could not meet this requirement nor will my children and it does seem unreasonable.  Never had a teacher for 5 years, doctors, neighbours, etc change when we move so the new ones cannot be used and the old ones cannot vouch for the last couple years. A quick run through leaves me with 1 family friend and 1 personal friend meeting the requirement of 5+ years and I have not seen them for over 2 years. Most people I would classify as friends now I have not known for 5 years yet. My children do not have any friends they have known for over 2 years, the doctor has known them for 1 year, no teacher has known them for 5 years either. Work references are out - posted every few years so could not meet the 5+ years requirement. Seems to me these requirements may be short changing one of our best recruiting basis - family members of those already serving and moved around due to that service. Hopefully this is not a strict must have or forget it thing - there is leeway for certain circumstances. Hate to think my childrens chances at the military are ruined because I already serve.

A lot has changed: the three references I provided were not contacted when I applied for the Regs or Res. I guess that is why I was able to "sneak" in.

scouthern said:
Yes, I do have a problem with the 5+ years of references for FIVE people, I'm 17, besides friends, who the hell would a 17 year old know since 12 besides family. So I'm wondering if a combination of the references adding to 5 continuous years is acceptable?

The current form on the CF recruiting website (which I realize is not the one you have) states:

"Your references must have known you for at least five (5) continuous years (or to age 16, whichever comes first)."

I bet if you were to address this at your CFRC this may be the same. Further, I realize this may be challenging for. Take a deep breath, it is not all doom and gloom. 

scouthern said:
Yes, I do have a problem with the 5+ years of references for FIVE people, I'm 17, besides friends, who the hell would a 17 year old know since 12 besides family. So I'm wondering if a combination of the references adding to 5 continuous years is acceptable?

As was stated above they have to have know you to 16 years old. not five years. I am a recruiter and I hope this helps.

Hi, i am currently applying for RMC
I was asked to provide 3 references, and one of which has to have known me for 5 continuous years....
But what if i don't have that sort of reference?
I was an immigrant moved here when i was 10-ish, now i'm 17, and i moved around a bit too, so i don't know much people.

If i was to provide references that might only fulfill 2 or 3 years, but my other stuffs like grades are extremely good, would the recruiter sorta ignore the fact that there is no 5 year reference?

thanks for fixing my mistake.. i don't know where to post my questions lol...

so can i make it up? Can i say for example that i know my junior high teacher for 5 continuous years... (like i would stay in contact with former teachers...)

*edit* nvm
i have spotted an earlier reply, it says if you can't fill 5 years, then find the longest one possible, can i do that?

M Feetham said:
try using your freinds parents, especially if you spend alot  of time with the family. All the other suggestions seem good to me too. If you don't have anyone that has known you for five years, then go with the ones that have known you the longest and work your way down from there.
Marc

thanks to M Feetham

platoon_man said:
i have spotted an earlier reply, it says if you can't fill 5 years, then find the longest one possible, can i do that?

Here is an incredibly "out of the box" idea.......

TOMOROW IS FREAKIN MONDAY......CALL THE CFRC AND ASK THEM

That way you are not doing something that could be wrong , just because some guy , somehwere on the net said so.......

::)

what does it mean though? it's on my reference sheet and i'm kinda confused by what it means... I think the 16 y ears they meant somebody who has known you throughout your life.... Because they didn't excatly gave where they have to start knowing you from... Or are they saying They have to know you since you became 16?

platoon_man said:
what does it mean though? it's on my reference sheet and i'm kinda confused by what it means... I think the 16 y ears they meant somebody who has known you throughout your life.... Because they didn't excatly gave where they have to start knowing you from... Or are they saying They have to know you since you became 16?

I will give you an example. If I were 18 than the expectation would be that my references had known me to the age of 16, so 2 years. Hope it is clear now.

platoon_man said:
thanks for fixing my mistake.. i don't know where to post my questions lol...

so can i make it up? Can i say for example that i know my junior high teacher for 5 continuous years... (like i would stay in contact with former teachers...)

*edit* nvm

thanks to M Feetham

Despite the fact you crossed it out think of what you are suggesting. You just said you would be willing to falsify information on a government form (that's a CRIME)...if you willing to do that, it calls into question your reliability and trustworthiness. I really don't think the CF is for you, if you are contemplating lying like that.

platoon_man said:
what does it mean though?

Do i need to tell you the same thing again ?

platoon_man said:
This problem is haunting me for a week!

Have you called the CFRC to ask them at all during that week ?

Fuck, even my 11 year old has figured out what to do about your problem when i read your posts to her........

Some rather self-indulged nerds like me spend too much time thinking about mathematics and science questions... and often forgets to make a simple phone call..... My bad.. When i 'm this embarased I always say "Einstein forgot his key the day he wed"

I will call to confirm... Jeez.. i'm not going to destroy myself...

The whole process for me has been brutally slow.  The CFAT took a while to schedule and the earliest I could get scheduled in to do the medical/interview was a little over a month later.
On the medical I had to give some information and I had to then go to the doctors and get him to fill out a form and say that I was good to go in his opinion.  A few weeks since sending that in nothing happens, until just yesterday one of my references get called.
Now, is that a good sign?  I figured that if the medical information wasn't good enough for them, they would just stop the process and I'd get a letter saying I was unfit in the mail.  Or, do they contact your references no matter what?

I just went through this experience in the last month so I will try to help:

Waiting a month since application is not that special, some people get in a bit sooner.. some a bit later. It just depends on the recruiters workload I'd imagine. (And some say on how impressive you are.. but I do not believe so)

For your medical, the recruiter told me that it can be up to 5 weeks for it to get back from Ottawa from when you GIVE THEM the documents from the doctors. (I did not have to do this, 100% on medical. But they still went over it with me before since I had my interview THEN my medical).

If they are calling your references now, It may just mean that your medical came back and was finalized. References are pretty much called last from what I can tell, then the application (if all goes well with the calls) is usually finalized 1-2 weeks later. I got word from one of my references that they had been called about a week prior to the CFRC Recruiter who was dealing with me told me he was finalizing my application.

Like I said, personal experience. It can differ greatly from individual to individual. But I hope I help a bit.

-Marshall

Back