• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
DAA said:
I would tend to agree that AEC is not a popular occupation.......until you don't meet the requirements of Pilot.

Vouch! :p
Failed Pilot, and now I definitely want in for AEC.

Noctis said:
Vouch! :p
Failed Pilot, and now I definitely want in for AEC.

I think it's a very smart move on behalf of the CF. It creates awareness for the trade. Nav Canada on the civi side AFAIK is jammed right up with applications. The CF provides an awesome alternative. 

Pay is better on the civvy side (110k$+), but with less posting options and variety in tasks.
Definitely a good move on part of the CF, I had no clue what the job was before paying a visit to Trenton.

Noctis said:
Pay is better on the civvy side (110k$+), but with less posting options and variety in tasks.
Definitely a good move on part of the CF, I had no clue what the job was before paying a visit to Trenton.

Only for IFR / Centres. VFR Tower and FSS do not generally hit the $100 range for quite some time. ( YYZ tower being the only exception I believe)

Applied in November for ROTP 2013-2014

Currently in the air reserves

1st choice :AEC
2nd choice; Log Officer
3rd choice: pilot

CFAT passed
Medical passed
interview passed
got deemed admissible by RMC and accepted to a few civi universities

Going to Aircrew selection centre on 24 feb

Gonna have a hand up on other people because im already in the reserves and have basic/ql3 done!

eggert said:
Gonna have a hand up on other people because im already in the reserves and have basic/ql3 done!
I'm going to give you some friendly advice here so you don't have to hear it later.

Ex-reservists at RMC are just like any other group of people at RMC: they vary.

A lot of them are capable, experienced, humble and valuable to have around.  These tend to be the guys/gals who are happy to offer their experience and help out their peers, but don't feel a need to make sure that everyone knows they have prior experience.  You will, after all, be a first year, and go through FYOP, just like every other first year.  We have guys who have done tours in Afghanistan who have to go through FYOP and are treated as first years. 

Some others think that they have a leg up on other people because they have reserve experience; the problem is, it isn't always true.  Guys who were bags of hammers in the reserves tend to be bags of hammers at RMC, and it's not hard to spot them.  They often feel compelled to tell stories about all their field experience, and then bomb inspections because they don't feel like polishing their boots.  During FYOP, that kind of attitude hurts your team mates.

I'm not bashing ex-reservists- like I said, we've got some great ones and they very much add to the value of going to RMC for OCdts who come in off civi street and get to learn from them; that being said, being from the reserves certainly does NOT guarantee that they'll be any better at RMC, or have any kind of a leg up.  We had guys that already  had their BMQ and some other training done and their drill was terrible, their fitness level was bad, their motivation was 0, but they certainly knew a few more things than we did.

eggert said:
Applied in November for ROTP 2013-2014

Currently in the air reserves

1st choice :AEC
2nd choice; Log Officer
3rd choice: pilot

CFAT passed
Medical passed
interview passed
got deemed admissible by RMC and accepted to a few civi universities

Going to Aircrew selection centre on 24 feb

Assuming you pass air crew selection...

Man, the more and more I read the forums, everyone tries out for pilot, and when they fail Aircrew selection (which is about half the people) they change to AEC or ACSO.

Globemaster77 said:
HAHAAHAHA yeah I agree with that. Most applicants who fail for pilot just go for ACSO in my experience.
Well, you didn't get a reaction the first time...

Globemaster77 said:
Man, the more and more I read the forums, everyone tries out for pilot, and when they fail Aircrew selection (which is about half the people) they change to AEC or ACSO.

So you tried a second time....

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.  Are you making fun of people who fail CAPSS? If so, grow up.
Are you trying to offer statistics for the sake of our enlightenment?  If so, ball park figures (like about half the people failing CAPSS) based on your vague impressions aren't very reliable. 
Are you telling me that failing CAPSS=failing Aircrew?  Because, the way I understood it, ACSO is aircrew too. 
Or...are you trying to get all forum readers to bow down at your feet because you passed CAPSS, and thus must be better than everybody else who visits these forums?

Globemaster77 said:

Failing CAPSS gives you the opportunity to look at the broader picture of what the airforce is comprised of.  I guess most people would be like me and didn't even consider other officer positions in the AF before failing CAPSS and being proposed other careers.  Therefore, it's natural for an applicant, who wants to be an AF officer, to change his application to other rewarding and exciting careers after he/she fails pilot selection.
I fail to understand the point of your post. Perhaps, as a guy who successfully completed CAPSS, your invaluable and godly insight would be required to enlighten my inferior mind.

:salute:
:cdn:

Noctis said:
Failing CAPSS gives you the opportunity to look at the broader picture of what the airforce is comprised of.  I guess most people would be like me and didn't even consider other officer positions in the AF before failing CAPSS and being proposed other careers.  Therefore, it's natural for an applicant, who wants to be an AF officer, to change his application to other rewarding and exciting careers after he/she fails pilot selection.
I fail to understand the point of your post. Perhaps, as a guy who successfully completed CAPSS, your invaluable and godly insight would be required to enlighten my inferior mind.

Let's just leave it at the fact that every occupation in the military serves a useful purpose.

No need for sarcasm directed towards anyone, since cockiness will not take you very far in any career.

jwtg said:
Well, you didn't get a reaction the first time...

So you tried a second time....

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.  Are you making fun of people who fail CAPSS? If so, grow up.
Are you trying to offer statistics for the sake of our enlightenment?  If so, ball park figures (like about half the people failing CAPSS) based on your vague impressions aren't very reliable. 
Are you telling me that failing CAPSS=failing Aircrew?  Because, the way I understood it, ACSO is aircrew too. 
Or...are you trying to get all forum readers to bow down at your feet because you passed CAPSS, and thus must be better than everybody else who visits these forums?

Woah there! First of all I did get a reaction out of the first one. I never claimed to have passed the CAPSS, nor did I ever imply that I was making fun of anyone that failed. Am I not allowed to state my opinion of certain topics? CAPSS is strictly for the pilot trade. Given the failure rate of that course, why would it be a surprise at all that numerous people here failed?

I don't want to sound like a douche but my impression of you is that you need to pull that stick out of yours and relax.  Why are you making all these assumptions? While I apologize if I gave off the impression of mocking you, I don't think it was necessary to "freakout" like this.

Noctis said:

This. My point exactly. I passed my CAPSS and everything but my left eye prevented me from becoming a pilot. So I simply changed my career choices because I still wanted to be an AF officer. I was surprised that many felt the same way that I did. While becoming a pilot would be amazing, I don't think I would mind doing other lines of work in the forces.

Globemaster77 said:
Woah there! First of all I did get a reaction out of the first one.
Then why the need for the re-post? 
I never claimed to have passed the CAPSS, nor did I ever imply that I was making fun of anyone that failed.
Am I not allowed to state my opinion of certain topics?
You can state your opinion on whatever you'd like; however, the number of people who elect to pursue careers as AEC or ACSO after unsuccessful attempts at CAPSS is not a matter of opinion.  It is a verifiable fact, and one I'm sure you don't actually have a number for. 

Instead, you've posted to inform us that about half of the people who do CAPSS will fail (which is a statistic that you made up, I would imagine) and try to become ACSOs/AECs.  Twice.

CAPSS is strictly for the pilot trade. Given the failure rate of that course, why would it be a surprise at all that numerous people here failed?
Not at all.  I'm not sure why you felt compelled to make this statement, because it certainly doesn't respond to anything that I said.
I don't want to sound like a douche
I think we're a ways past that now, but do go on...
but my impression of you is that you need to pull that stick out of yours and relax.
I'm not sure what part of my post conveyed any kind of emotion to you, but I understand that written communication is not very effective at conveying those things so I guess you can assume whatever you'd like about me.
  Why are you making all these assumptions? While I apologize if I gave off the impression of mocking you, I don't think it was necessary to "freakout" like this.
This isn't freaking out.  This is casual browsing while I eat lunch.
If you think this is freaking out, then I hope, for your sake, you aren't in/don't join the CF, because you're in for a wake-up call when you start your training. 

Applied for CT to Inf Officer on Jan 9th, got accepted to VIU Jan 20th, haven't heard anything from the army yet but I've got 4 years reg force and 1 year reserve.

hope I made it in time for this year.

Hey guys,

Got the call yesterday for my interview and medical ! It set for this Monday at 9 !!

Nic

HeavyD55 said:
Applied for CT to Inf Officer on Jan 9th, got accepted to VIU Jan 20th, haven't heard anything from the army yet but I've got 4 years reg force and 1 year reserve.

hope I made it in time for this year.

nic32 said:
Hey guys,

Got the call yesterday for my interview and medical ! It set for this Monday at 9 !!

Nic

Good luck you two!

jwtg said:
Then why the need for the re-post?  You can state your opinion on whatever you'd like; however, the number of people who elect to pursue careers as AEC or ACSO after unsuccessful attempts at CAPSS is not a matter of opinion.  It is a verifiable fact, and one I'm sure you don't actually have a number for. 

Instead, you've posted to inform us that about half of the people who do CAPSS will fail (which is a statistic that you made up, I would imagine) and try to become ACSOs/AECs.  Twice.
Not at all.  I'm not sure why you felt compelled to make this statement, because it certainly doesn't respond to anything that I said.I think we're a ways past that now, but do go on...I'm not sure what part of my post conveyed any kind of emotion to you, but I understand that written communication is not very effective at conveying those things so I guess you can assume whatever you'd like about me.This isn't freaking out.  This is casual browsing while I eat lunch.
If you think this is freaking out, then I hope, for your sake, you aren't in/don't join the CF, because you're in for a wake-up call when you start your training.

I already went through the training so I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back