• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P-Scouten and to all the Class of 2020

Congratulations! Good luck to you and to all who have been selected. It is not an easy task to get in and the hard work is not over yet but it's so well worth it. My son has just finished his first year at RMC and his trade is artillery, definitely a tough year but so rewarding. Looking forward to seeing the class of 2020 complete the obstacle course on Reunion Weekend this year.  :nod:

AE109 said:
My first question is; how does engineering at RMC compare to engineering at a civilian university like Carleton? In particular is the aerospace program at RMC very specific in terms of preparing you for Aere officer job as opposed to just being an aero program (for example is it less focused on design/theory and more focused on application). My other questions pertain mostly to the Aere officer career, I've read the job descriptions and I really like the idea of having the opportunity to work in the hangar as opposed to sitting in an office all day. However, I was wondering does the work you do count towards obtaining a P.eng? Are there design related opportunities/projects? Also, if you choose not to stay in the forces after your initial contract ends would the education and experience gained through the ROTP program allow one to relatively easily pick up a civilian job in the aerospace/engineering field?

Oh my god, I have the exact same questions! And I've had a lot of trouble trying to find the answers. I've looked at an older version (2009-ish, but it should be relatively unchanged) of their course list for Aerospace Engineering, and it seems pretty similar to the courses offered at any other university for Aerospace. That being said, I'm not too surprised because RMC's is accredited for engineering, so obviously they have to teach the same courses. It also seems RMC is more geared to aeronautics, but when you're doing a bachelors in Aerospace, there isn't  that much "specialization" of astro/aero happening until your 4th year. So, officially, an engineering degree at RMC is the same as anywhere else. However, I don't know what it's "reputation" is compared to an engineering degree at, say, Carleton.

For the P.eng, what my google-fu tells me is that the board concerned with certification will consider military employment on a case-by-case basis. Apparently this is because some AERE jobs are not so "engineery" while others are more geared to what you learn in your bachelors.

This leads me to your question regarding the role of an AERE officer. For the military, it'll mostly be project management. So, if you were looking for a lot of design stuff, you probably won't get a lot of it. However, that's not a bad thing! Project management is a huge part of being an engineer, and what better place to learn that skill than with the military? So, what I believe is that most of the design stuff is left to private contractors: Boeing, Bombardier, Lockeed, etc. However, if the air force ends up undergoing a large acquisition of air frames or various aviation technology (i have no clue if this will happen), then maaaybe there will be more open to your role in project management in terms of reviewing designs and materials with budgetary constraint.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt! I've acquired this information through many sources on many random forums! Most of this information is not based on my own experiences! My goal is not to spread misinformation, I just wanted to share what I've found.

Loachman said:
Can you think of a better student-debt-free deal?

Pfff... who want's to leave school debt free? Take out a student load and blow it all on cars, trips, and nights at the bar!

You have a guaranteed job making $80k a year within 3-4 years of graduation! Live while you're young!

P.S. That was not professional financial advice, although many of us did rack up student debt while at RMC (a big chunk of which went to purchasing a car, because Student Lines of Credit have lower interest rates), and most of us have long paid off our student debts.

Thank you KLP!

Congratulations to your son as well. I was watching videos of that obstacle course earlier I'm looking forward to all of us beating it!

P-Scouten

You should look up the Rick Mercer Report from last year, he participated in the obstacle course with the class of 2019, it's a great video and shows a lot of the obstacles.

Are offers still going out? Trying to remain hopeful but pretty sure its over :c

Someone posted that delays in the selection process means the bulk of the offers will go out mid-June, but I have no idea how true that is.

I guess we didn't make it, bud. Time to regroup and decide what the next course of action will be.

If it means anything, counting the posts of people who got offers in this thread and the previous years thread, there is less than half of these posts in this thread. I don't think its over quite yet.

Thank you, I hope so.
Recruiter told me at May's end there are only 5 spots left for EME unfortunately, not sure if there are any left as of now.
Best of luck everyone, hope you all get good news soon.

EMEROTP said:
Thank you, I hope so.
Recruiter told me at May's end there are only 5 spots left for EME unfortunately, not sure if there are any left as of now.
Best of luck everyone, hope you all get good news soon.

No seriously, many spots will open up in the summer as some will VR or they will fail BMOQ. The "waves" of offers may have ended for the spring but your file is still there up for consideration. I wish you the best.  :salute:

My heart is with those who are still waiting for their offer. I also had waited for two and a half years for my offer.

Don't give up hope, as there will be people  who change their mind during BMOQ and open up spots for you to fill!
:) Or you can just wait and reapply like I did!

I know this waiting game feels cruel, but if this is what you truly want, you will get it soon or later.  :salute:

Fiji_Boy_ said:
My heart is with those who are still waiting for their offer. I also had waited for two and a half years for my offer.

Don't give up hope, as there will be people  who change their mind during BMOQ and open up spots for you to fill!
:) Or you can just wait and reapply like I did!

I know this waiting game feels cruel, but if this is what you truly want, you will get it soon or later.  :salute:

This actually made me feel a lot better about the waiting process. Thanks, Fiji!

For all those who made it in, good luck at BMOQ and FYOP! The best years of your life lie ahead. Hopefully the wait ends soon for those of us still on tenterhooks.

Looks like I'm attending RMC next year as a Reservist. I got accepted a couple of days ago.

Good luck to the guys going ROTP/RETP.

Come join the Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/978710348882789/

veggiepotato said:
Oh my god, I have the exact same questions! And I've had a lot of trouble trying to find the answers. I've looked at an older version (2009-ish, but it should be relatively unchanged) of their course list for Aerospace Engineering, and it seems pretty similar to the courses offered at any other university for Aerospace. That being said, I'm not too surprised because RMC's is accredited for engineering, so obviously they have to teach the same courses. It also seems RMC is more geared to aeronautics, but when you're doing a bachelors in Aerospace, there isn't  that much "specialization" of astro/aero happening until your 4th year. So, officially, an engineering degree at RMC is the same as anywhere else. However, I don't know what it's "reputation" is compared to an engineering degree at, say, Carleton.

For the P.eng, what my google-fu tells me is that the board concerned with certification will consider military employment on a case-by-case basis. Apparently this is because some AERE jobs are not so "engineery" while others are more geared to what you learn in your bachelors.

This leads me to your question regarding the role of an AERE officer. For the military, it'll mostly be project management. So, if you were looking for a lot of design stuff, you probably won't get a lot of it. However, that's not a bad thing! Project management is a huge part of being an engineer, and what better place to learn that skill than with the military? So, what I believe is that most of the design stuff is left to private contractors: Boeing, Bombardier, Lockeed, etc. However, if the air force ends up undergoing a large acquisition of air frames or various aviation technology (i have no clue if this will happen), then maaaybe there will be more open to your role in project management in terms of reviewing designs and materials with budgetary constraint.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt! I've acquired this information through many sources on many random forums! Most of this information is not based on my own experiences! My goal is not to spread misinformation, I just wanted to share what I've found.

I've talked to a couple AEREs and RMC students and they have set my mind at ease. Your post is pretty much spot on and I really appreciate that you took the time to share what you found (I'm certain it took a fair amount digging on the Internet). Hopefully I can successfully get through the upcoming BMOQ and then I'll be starting my journey at RMC in the fall!

Just got my offer. ROTP pilot, 2 years subsidised education at civil university starting september. Exempt from BMOQ.

Just waiting for some paperwork before its finalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back