• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Travel Is There said:
I go to the University of Ottawa. Majoring in Public Administration.

What did you apply for?

Sweet! And Poli Sci for all of em!

So as previously mentioned I got a an offer last year so I have a bit of contact with the office which sends out the contracts (DMILC7). I got in touch with them and was told offers won't be send out until 12-April-2012. Now based on my experience last year, you'll get an acceptance letter first then within a month - 3 months you'll get your terms of service which has the actual details like where you will be going, for how long, you pay grade, rank, etc.

canada94 said:
Anybody receiving anyone Civi University acceptances? Like the actual Universities, not from the Forces?

Couple of us go to UBC already. Don't know if you applied there.

oaktown said:
So as previously mentioned I got a an offer last year so I have a bit of contact with the office which sends out the contracts (DMILC7). I got in touch with them and was told offers won't be send out until 12-April-2012. Now based on my experience last year, you'll get an acceptance letter first then within a month - 3 months you'll get your terms of service which has the actual details like where you will be going, for how long, you pay grade, rank, etc.

That is awesome thanks for that!

canada94 said:
Anybody receiving anyone Civi University acceptances? Like the actual Universities, not from the Forces?

I've said it before, but I go to SFU, second year.

jparkin said:
Couple of us go to UBC already. Don't know if you applied there.

Man, I've been out there a couple times, for the RBC Canadian open and again yesterday for the Davis Cup... Such a nice campus.
Huge, but it doesn't look like its from Orwell's 1980.

Man, I've been out there a couple times, for the RBC Canadian open and again yesterday for the Davis Cup... Such a nice campus.
Huge, but it doesn't look like its from Orwell's 1980.

I think you mean 1984  :)

I'm in my first year at Waterloo already, so at least I don't have offers for civvi U to worry about.

oaktown said:
Anyone applying MARS have any questions? I'm currently into my 3rd year of being a reservist MARS officer..been on ship, been sent to Manitoba to help with the flooding etc so ask away if those short videos on the recruiting website didn't give you a good enough taste of the trade.

YES! I have had a chance to speak to the staff at the recruiting centre (they are extremely helpful!) and ask questions here on Army.ca, however, I do have one question. In your opinion, what are some of the negative aspects of being a MARS officer? I've done some research, and the large amount of time spent at sea seems to be one for many people, but that's actually one of the positive aspects for me.

Cui said:
I think you mean 1984  :)

Whoops, that's a little embarrassing.

I must have been thinking about the song "1980."  (I won't link it, its nsfw but on you tube if you want a laugh.)

There are lots of negatives with any job in the CF. You all need to realize this and understand that recognizing and identifying negatives is not a bad point on you, its in fact good because you can recognize them and are still here applying.

MARS officers spend a lot of time at sea this is true, and although you say it is a good thing for you, I have yet to meet a single MARS officer who said "geeze I had so much fun being deployed on ship for the last 6 months". Living on ship can become stressful, its tight quarters, there is nowhere to escape and just do your own thing, so being at sea can certainly be a negative.

I think its important to recognize the responsibility MARS officers have. We are in control and command of a warship. It is very stressful in terms of decision making and dealing with issues. Also it is very mentally demanding because the way we navigate isn't as simple as "lets go over there" but there is lots of planning, quick mental math, and it can be very draining.

A negative that everyone in the CF faces is the risk factor. Its a dangerous job, the recruiters know this. It isn't expected that we don't think risking our lives is a negative part of the job, so don't be afraid to say it. We are in the profession of arms, and our lives are at risk.

MARS officers work long and odd "shifts". We work on a constant watch rotation, you could be working a 1 - in - 3 watch or even a 1-in-2 watch, which means you work once in every 2-3 shifts. This is a hard environment to work in. You could be working throughout the night one day, and working the afternoon shift the next, etc. It is varied and not routine as a normal 9-5 job is.

Another thing to keep in mind about being on ship is that although there are means of communication you cannot always access them or they aren't always reliable. Time away from family and friends can draw on people, especially when you are 24/7 at work, working all hours of the day for all amounts of time, without having a place to escape to etc.

Hope that helps, of course these are just some negatives, and even some of these could be spun into positives, but like I said don't be afraid to admit the negatives, they are there, plain and simple. Recognizing them and the fact your still here says more then pretending nothing about the job upsets you or makes you nervous.

Hope that helps a bit.

Update:

After submitting my various medical letters, having my file shipped off to be approved by an MO, and finding out that it takes 6-8 weeks to hear back, I finally e-mailed the CFRC to see where I am today. I figured that I shouldn't have to wait 6 weeks to receive an update... Tomorrow would mark the 4th week since I was told about the 6-8 week wait time.

So I've found out that I have been fully processed and merit listed (although I am not sure how long I've been merit listed since I procrastinated on e-mailing/calling them). Woo hoo! It's a good feeling knowing that no more steps need to be taken and now the fun part begins.. waiting.

As always, good luck to all. 

Update:

a few months ago i wrote that I applied for nursing officer in ROTP.

Well basically I have finished my medical, interview and CFAT all in December but I had problem with medical so I
thought I wouldn't make it on to the merit list but i visited the recruiter and on the 6th of Feb my application process
was complete and I am now merit listed !!  :bowing:  :bowing:

I had a minor allergy to pistachio, my medical file was sent to Ottawa but came back clear good to go, and my
screening for secruity (as my father lives out of country) came clear too!! i am very happy everything worked out!

It just goes to show that don't give up and make sure you check up with the recruiters as they are too busy to let you know! :)

Congrats to you two!

It seems more and more people are all finished now and playing the waiting game. Oh how fun it is!

Thanks Oaktown, that helped a lot! It provided good info and plenty to think about. In other news, that's me in for my interview today! Wish me luck, eh!

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here so I thought that I would introduce myself!

I've applied to ROTP as an Engineer Officer as a second year (civilian) University student. I am studying in electrical engineering at McGill, and my application is being processed at the CFRC in Montreal. I just got a call back to take the CFAT; scheduled for next Wednesday early morning and I am definitely looking forward to it!

I've spoken with a few recruiters here in Montreal and they advised me that the selection board usually meets in mid to late March. They also mentioned that I would probably have a better chance of being accepted if all the phases of the application process are complete by this time.

So anyone else applying out of CFRC Montreal or into the Engineer Officer occupation?

Cheers,
Matt

matthew1786 said:
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here so I thought that I would introduce myself!

I've applied to ROTP as an Engineer Officer as a second year (civilian) University student. I am studying in electrical engineering at McGill, and my application is being processed at the CFRC in Montreal. I just got a call back to take the CFAT; scheduled for next Wednesday early morning and I am definitely looking forward to it!

I've spoken with a few recruiters here in Montreal and they advised me that the selection board usually meets in mid to late March. They also mentioned that I would probably have a better chance of being accepted if all the phases of the application process are complete by this time.

So anyone else applying out of CFRC Montreal or into the Engineer Officer occupation?

Cheers,
Matt

Hey Matt, always good to see a new engineer officer applicant. Good luck on the CFAT!
Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back