• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm a Naval reservist from Toronto and been in for 2 years now.
I began my component transfer process late November and completed the interview on 6 Dec 12
and now, of course, I'm just waiting and waiting.
The trades: 1. Infantry Officer 2. Armour Officer 3. Artillery Officer

I hear from my BMQ buddies who were transferred to ROTP 2012-2013 in Civi U
and he tells me that he got his news in friggin' June.
Personally, that wasn't a great news.

But we'll wait and see!

kimbrian said:
I hear from my BMQ buddies who were transferred to ROTP 2012-2013 in Civi U
and he tells me that he got his news in friggin' June.
Personally, that wasn't a great news.

When did he apply?  It's my understanding that the sooner you apply in the process, the sooner you get a response.

:cdn:

jwtg said:
At the time of my enrollment, the trades that I was aware of (and can recall right now) were: Pilot, ACSO, AEC, Infantry, Armoured, Artillery, MARS, and LOG.

I have heard rumors since then of trades having their degree requirements changed.  My trade wasn't affected so I didn't pay much attention; however, I believe that ACSO, AEC, Infantry, Armoured, Artillery and MARS still accept any degree, while logistics may have changed their degree requirements.  I have no idea what the status is for pilots.

This is a starting point, but recruiting centers would have access to up-to-date and accurate lists of trades/degree requirements.

Great information, thank you.

If you just enroll as an infantry soldier can you become an officer? and how long would it take. Also if you get into RMC, would you be promoted and rank up faster if you were to just enroll?

To answer your title,  no you do not have to attend RMC to be a Officer.  You must have a university degree,  or in the process of getting one how ever.  Not sure what the requirements regarding education there is for a CFR.

If you enroll as a NCM there are programs that will allow you to go to university.  As well at the rank of Sgt/PO2(?) and above some may be eligible for a Commission From the Ranks.

Not sure if being a RMC graduate would make you get any promotion faster.  Promotions are based on your qualifications/experience,  time in, and your own merit.  Plus other factors.

Is your goal to climb through the ranks as quickly as possible?

PS,  a little research can go a long way.  Lots of info already on these forums and the CF Recruiting website.

The links below would be a good starting place for you.
http://forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96
http://forces.ca/en/page/serviceoptions-123#officers-3

Your application date has nothing to do with your selection date.

The board sits when the board sits (usually around February) and selections usually start rolling out mid to late April.

The selections then extend toward August. Just up till Indoc. starts.

I have question regarding the prerequisites for the Bachelor of Arts program, i want to become an infantry officer and on this website http://www.rmc.ca/ it says the prerequisites list that calculus is recommend, but as for http://www.forces.ca/interactive/rmc/kingston/index.html it explains that i only have to take mathematics up to grade 11. Taking calculus in grade 12 would lower my overall gpa , if it's not necessary to take calculus what would you guys believe the the best course of action?

Well on the site it says you need to have at least a 70% minimum average, but there will be some competition involved among the applicants. What I got from this site my friend showed me: "Six U or M credits including ENG4U and one of MHF4U, MCF3M or MCR3U. Students must have achieved 70% or better in each of the required courses and an overall 70% on the six U/M courses.
Selection is based on academic performance and extracurricular activities demonstrating leadership potential. Students with any marks less than 80% must demonstrate excellent leadership skills in
order to be competitive.
All applications are pre-screened for suitability at Canadian Forces Recruiting Centres before being sent forward for consideration. Comparisons with the OUAC application process are not practical.
Additional Admission Criteria: Potential candidates for RMC are well-rounded individuals; to evaluate this balance, they are assessed in two ways: 1. Academic Performance: To ensure that the
applicant has the proper prerequisites to enter the program of choice at RMC, the assessment will consist of a review of Grade 10, 11 and 12 marks, with the final year of secondary school results
carrying the most weight. As a general guideline, in order to ensure a competitive file, it is recommended that an applicant have no mark below 80%. 2. Personal Suitability: This is an assessment of a
candidate's leadership, managerial, administrative, people and interpersonal skills. These skills will have manifested themselves through such activities as holding down a job, mentoring, tutoring,
lifeguarding, being a camp counsellor, being a member of a committee at school or in the community, playing sports, involvement in cadets, volunteering, etc. Before applying to RMC, candidates
must choose a career in the Canadian Forces. To help with choosing a career, or to have"

http://electronicinfo.ca/cms/files/en/programs.pdf

Here's another site you could look at: http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/page.php?id=35&t=university&u=572098

I'm not sure which program you're interested in, but you can choose in the link.

It's up to you whether you should do it or not. If you think you can manage to pull a high mark in Calculus - go for it.

You can also start your own business with an employee while holding down a full-time job and volunteering. That helped me tremendously during my interview and can more than compensate average-ish grades.

Just food for thought.

:cdn:

Hello, While reading on some of these forums here i have notice many people applying to RMC already are in cadets or the reserves.
I am not in the either, will this give me a great disadvantage?
I also have 85% average.

Also I know this isn't much for extra circular activities but does this look decent?
-4 years on a  rugby team
-Martial arts for 10 years
-lifeguard
-cross country
Also i plan on trying to do co-op for grade 11 and working with the Armed forces.
I know nobody knows the answer to this unless i actually apply but in general sense what do you guys think?

gabrielgp said:
Hello, While reading on some of these forums here i have notice many people applying to RMC already are in cadets or the reserves.
I am not in the either, will this give me a great disadvantage?

No.

Noctis said:
While this answer isn't wrong, it isn't very informative either.

The truth is that you will not receive any marks against you, or a direct disadvantage, on your application for not having been in cadets or the reserves.  Reservists apply for component transfers to the reg force (unless of course they released at some point, and are coming in from civi street) and I'm not 100% sure if they're included in the recruiting goals for ROTP from the civi population, or if there are separate targets for CTs. 

The only disadvantage you would have against people with prior experience in either cadets or the reserves is that those people may have more examples of teamwork, leadership, and the other things they're looking for in the interview.  Basically, they have an experience that you do not have which gives them an advantage in that sense.  I had prior CF time but applied as a civilian (long story) and was able to use my experience in the forces to my advantage in the application.  The recruiter was convinced that I, more than most, knew what I was getting into and I was obviously able to demonstrate more knowledge of my desired trades and life in the CF in general, having had some experience in it.

So my point is this:  you will not be docked points for not having done cadets or reserves, but you will be competing with people who may have these experiences and will therefore have the possible advantage of using their experiences to their favor.  That being said, you probably have experiences they don't, so the onus is on you to find a way to market your experience as valuable to the CF, and valuable in preparing you to embark on a career as an officer.

As far as what you posted about your competitiveness- no one here can tell you how competitive you are.  It's all about how you stack up against the competition.  X # of spots will go to X # of people from the top of the list.  That's how simple it is.  Some years have stronger applicants than others, and that determines how competitive you will be.

Don't fret or worry, just get out and make yourself as competitive as possible.  Volunteer, find leadership opportunities and positions, work, do things that make you a better applicant than the next guy walking in the door.

Good luck.

I am thinking of doing co-op in the armed forces too in grade 11. What kind of stuff do they do there and will it look good on my RMC application? Sorry for hi-jacking if I did.

Thanks for the awesome answer jwtg and noctis.

As for what daniel said i am quite curious too for what the co-op would be like, if anyone has experiance or knows please share.  ;D

Hello

I am currently in first year of a Civil Engineering technology course at Lethbridge College. I hope to attend RMC in the Reserve Entry Training program and obtain an actual degree in Civil Engineering. If RETP is not an option, I hope to attend through continuing studies, as i am awaiting my application to be reviewed for joining the reserves here in Alberta. My course is two years long (Condensed from 3 years) and i obtain a college degree (Equivalent to Ontario advanced diploma). I understand the PLAR system, but am wondering if it is a waste of my time and more importantly a waste of the CF's time. I read that college transfers are possible, but what would my chances honestly be? Should i even consider credit to be transferred or should i simply stick with the reserves and attend a civilian university, to obtain my degree. Any information is greatly appreciated. Also be as pessimistic as possible, a no is a no and i will accept that over the false hope of thinking something might transfer!

Thanks
Henry

helmer16 said:
Hello

I am currently in first year of a Civil Engineering technology course at Lethbridge College. I hope to attend RMC in the Reserve Entry Training program and obtain an actual degree in Civil Engineering. If RETP is not an option, I hope to attend through continuing studies, as i am awaiting my application to be reviewed for joining the reserves here in Alberta. My course is two years long (Condensed from 3 years) and i obtain a college degree (Equivalent to Ontario advanced diploma). I understand the PLAR system, but am wondering if it is a waste of my time and more importantly a waste of the CF's time. I read that college transfers are possible, but what would my chances honestly be? Should i even consider credit to be transferred or should i simply stick with the reserves and attend a civilian university, to obtain my degree. Any information is greatly appreciated. Also be as pessimistic as possible, a no is a no and i will accept that over the false hope of thinking something might transfer!

Thanks
Henry

It's the PLAR cell's job to do PLAR's.  If you think you would be wasting your time, that's a personal issue.  If you spend time reading the boards, no one here can comment on what may or may not happen in individual cases.  It's a simple matter of we can't see your file, and therefore cannot assess it's merit, or in this case credentials. If you want an answer you have to go through the process simple as that. 

There is only one way to get an accurate answer to your question: see a recruiter.

If memory serves me correct, RETP is highly competitive and positions are extremely limited (15 a year).  Just remember, that under the RETP program, you pay for your studies unlike ROTP students.

The application deadline for Fall 2013 was 15 Jan....so if you haven't already applied, you are probably too late.

Good luck!

Ya I figured I would get my diploma and then transfer to RMC. Thanks this is all good info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back