• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a recruiter and this is not recruiting advice.  It's life advice.  I cannot stress this enough:  Do what interests you and what you enjoy.  People who chose degree programs based solely on what they think will get them a good job, generally tend to be unhappy if the field holds no interest for them.  They get stressed out over the course work and often wind up hating the "good" jobs they get later (if they survive the degree).

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life. (Confucius)

Think of it this way.  You get a degree in X, you then go into an Infantry battalion and don't use said degree for 5, 10, maybe even 15 or 20 years.  The degree without any actual job experience using that degree is going to be less and less useful as time goes on. 

If you want a degree which is readily transferable to the civilian world, look at taking Business Admin or possibly further down the road a MBA (Masters of Business Admin).

my 2 cents

Agree with jwtg.  I would assume* they'd look at your most recent marks.

Scenario:  "Wow, he only got 80% in Grade 12 English."  "Oh, but look, he got a 100% in Grade 2!!" 

*Yes, I know what happens when we assume....  ;)

Haiderrahmani said:
So the other day I emailed the Liasons office and I was told that if my english mark was higher in grade 10 then in grade 11 then my grade 10 mark would be used for my application

however, when I emailed the registrar office just to be sure they said that only grade 11 and 12 marks are looked at does anyone know which one is true?

Primarily, your Highschool grade 11 and 12 marks.  They will also review higher level (ie; College or University) as required.

You can't change marks that are in the past. Just do your best now and improve your application through volunteer, sports and leadership experience. Don't worry about things you can't change.

Good afternoon,

I applied for RMC (ROTP) on January 28th, and I still have not heard back from them. I sent an e-mail to recruitingapplicationmanagement@forces.gc.ca about 3 days ago asking for an update on my application, but they have not replied as well. Excuse my impatience, as I know there are many applicants, but how long does this process usually take?

Vin said:
Good afternoon,

I applied for RMC (ROTP) on January 28th, and I still have not heard back from them. I sent an e-mail to recruitingapplicationmanagement@forces.gc.ca about 3 days ago asking for an update on my application, but they have not replied as well. Excuse my impatience, as I know there are many applicants, but how long does this process usually take?

Because you applied for ROTP 3-days before the deadline and given the time of year, you are now caught in the backlog.  Hard to say just when you will get a response.  About all you can do now, is wait.....

I didn't know that there is a waiting line based on who applies first. Thank you for letting me know.

Good day,
I have applied for the positions of Armored Officer and Infantry Officer through the ROTP program. I have a few questions and would be really thankful for any answers or advice given.

1. I did my first aptitude test a few months back, on which I did horrible for personal reasons. Is the CFAT I did 9 months ago going to have a negative effect on my chances of getting in?

2. I finished high school a year ago with an average of 72% and received my diploma. This year, I only attended school for the second semester to raise my marks and my midterm marks have an average of 87.5% within 4 courses. Which marks is the RMC going to look at?

3. If I do get in, is basic training going to be in the summer?

Also I've received an e-mail asking me to email the forces to make an appointment. Does this mean that marks I uploaded to the RMC were high enough?

I am currently undergoing the ROTP application process for the 2015-2016 year, so I might be able to provide some answers. With that said I would also encourage you to search these forums as your questions have been answered before.

1. You can retake the Aptitude test and they will take the new score (even if it is lower). This does have to be a certain period of time after your first test (which I can't recall - I do believe it to be less than 9 months though).

2. Since you received the email to contact your local CFRC, it means your grades were sufficient for RMC and you should be moving on to setting up your CFAT/ Personality Questionnaire (this is what the appointment is for - in my case anyway). I am assuming you have sent transcripts/academic questionnaire to RMC already?

3. I would caution you now not to get your hopes up. I applied late myself, and I am still uncertain if I could be merit listed in time for the last round of ROTP selections. As another user informed me, DAA, these selections take place 3 or so times during March - May, and after which they may perform "top ups" to fill any empty positions. With that said, if you are successful in getting an offer in the next two months, you would likely be attending BMOQ in the last week of May to Early June (this is what I was told by my CFRC). To give you an idea, take a peek at my signature. I was told that after writing my CFAT and passing yesterday, that there will be some waiting time (could be more than 3 weeks) before I get an interview and medical set up. I was also told that my CFRC is booking interviews/medicals right now for mid to end April. This may be different for your local CFRC but as I say, since you applied so late, don't get your hopes up.

Again, read around a bit, there is a lot of good information already here. Good luck!

AirPeaches said:
With that said, if you are successful in getting an offer in the next two months, you would likely be attending BMOQ in the last week of May to Early June (this is what I was told by my CFRC).

Although I have heard the rumors that BMOQ (or at least the first part of BMOQ) is finally now, again, going to be done before the first year of subsidy, I find your timeline doubtful.  Have high schools, in the years since I've been out, begun to end before June?  Most (not all) ROTP candidates are fresh out of high school when they begin, so it is unlikely that the BMOQ would begin in May.

[/speculation]

jwtg said:
Although I have heard the rumors that BMOQ (or at least the first part of BMOQ) is finally now, again, going to be done before the first year of subsidy, I find your timeline doubtful.  Have high schools, in the years since I've been out, begun to end before June?  Most (not all) ROTP candidates are fresh out of high school when they begin, so it is unlikely that the BMOQ would begin in May.

[/speculation]

I suppose that is true, my apologies. :facepalm:  I am however only forwarding what I have been told as I am a first year university student so things are (might be) different. It would probably be in the OP's best interest to ask his CFRC directly.

Here you go, for what it's worth.  I can't validate this article but I'm sure someone who has been at RMC can.

http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/?p=87467

Thank you all for your help, I have received all the answers I was hoping for! :)  :salute:

So this summer me and my Dad will be visiting RMC. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I cannot wait to visit because this is my #1 choice when I apply to university next year!

Everything you always wanted to know and more.  Well, almost everything.......

http://www.rmc.ca/index-eng.php

Thanks, but I have previously looked at that website and they don't give information on what to expect on the tour they just tell you when and how to get there. I would like to know what will happen when I arrive there. I know they will give me a tour but what else?

jwtg said:

[/speculation]

Yes, that it correct. Incoming ROTP first years will have completed ~7 weeks of their Basic Military Officers Qualification course before academics get started.
(I am a current student at RMC, and we have been advised to modify our training tactics for next fall due to the fact that first years will now have some military experience!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back