• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

released as an officer - can I go ncm?

tree hugger

Reaction score
Well, I remember seeing something before about an officer resigning his commission and going ncm but I cannot find it. 

Does anyone know about if you release as an officer, and re-enrol, can you do so as an ncm?  Opon release is the commission retired?

I don't think the commission is retired because we have always been told to salute retired officers (i.e. ex-cadets from rmc). I'm really not too sure on this subject if you can re-enrol as an NCM but I would have to say yes you can....best bet is to call the local CFRC.

I saw it done once in the Strathconas. A subbie (for whatever reason) hated being an officer and did 'remuster' to the ranks.

This was back in '93 (I believe)

Cheers

Slim

I know of one officer who was forced out because he did not complete enough of his degree in the prescribed amount of time according to his CEOTP schedule.

So he said **** it, and became a Pte!

Basically, I'm doing my ex-military trade as a civi.  Going back to the reserves would be more as a "hobby" so to speak, and I thought it might be more enjoyable to do something less officer-like.

Tree Hugger

You might find that being an officer in the reserves affords you the kind of flexibility and fun that you didn't have in the regular force - a few former regular officers in our unit have noted that they enjoyed serving in a reserve unit precisely because they could focus on doing more of the "fun" stuff.  

Moreover you may find that starting as a private might be challenging from a demographic point of view - a lot of 18 and 19 year old - (make sure your i-pod is up to date with latest awesome tunes   ;D - especially if you're thinking about the army reserve.

Certainly in Toronto you're going to have a wide variety of units to choose from.

However if T.E. Lawrence can do it (Aircraftman Shaw) than why not?

FWIW,

cheers, mdh

Yes, it is possible- an individual in my unit did just that several years back. She's a Sgt now.

Back