• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reliable Personal Weapons

Reference the SA-80. I have never fired it and therefore no expert on its capabilities, but I have talked to lots of Brits army types and I cannot remember any of them saying good things about the rifle. One of the big complaints (among many) they had was that the magazine release was on the left side of the rifle and when the soldier was running the mag release would bang against the webbing and the mag would pop-out. The problems got so bad that back in 2002 (if I remember correctly) the Brit papers were reporting that the Ministry of Defence was actually looking at the Canadian C7 as a possible replacement. Instead, they signed a deal with HK; haven't heard whether the improved SA-80 is any better.

Just a little historical background, the prototype of the SA-80 was called the EM-2 and was originally chambered in 4.8 mm. A friend of mine who was on the NATO weapon trials said that while accurate the EM-2, but the 4.8 mm rounds because of its size was unable to knock the targets down!

While there were many reasons for adopting the  SA-80, one reported reason is the UK experience with the L1A1 in Northern Ireland. One problem was that the L1A1 was to long and would get entangled with legs, equipment, etc when jumping in/out of APC's, kicking in doors, running through houses, etc.  Adopting firing positions may also had an impact; with the L1A1 (and C1A1) who had about two feet of barrel and forestock sticking around a corner before you had actually engage a target. With the shorter SA-80 you wouldn't have these problems. (Sorry cannot remember where I heard this and could be nothing more than rumour).

Kevin076.jpg

Mk18 M4A1 (Mk18 is the ECQBR 10.3" upper)
That and a Glock19 - all you need for Christmas  ;)

8)  can't be a supercool action figure w/o my baseball manager sized dip from hell in...

an EOTECH for CFL

Kevin082.jpg

I'm trying to win the award for the Golden Gun Gold Bag for most barrel lengths used operational - but I am not doing very well, 10.3, 14.5, 16, 18 -- some of the Hill guys are ahead of me.  :'(
But I got a 12.5" and a 20" coming which I think gives me the edge  ;D  - good thing I dont have to walk with this stuff...

Nice AK -- the Aussies here had a bunch done up with all sorts of bling. 

and of course -- a Glock - great choice.

Thanks,

The rail system is a 3 pc (5 rail) X-47.  I got it a pretty reasonable price as they are fairly new and the dealer wanted some feedback.  The beauty of it is the rear rail isn't attached to the dustcover so I don't have to re-zero my AIMPOINT M2 (shameless plug) everytime I clean it.  And of course my Glock ....oh my Glock................

KevinB, have you had a chance to check out any of the Aussie Steyr-AUGs.  There have been comments made from Aus about issues with its manufacture?? ???

I have had the pleasure of firing off a few hundred rnds of an Austrian semi version, with a 20in barrel. Very nice. The owner, a friend of mine swears by it for any sort of unforseen quick reaction, day or night.  Actually this friend also has a Galil in .308 quite the weapon as well, thought his problem is that he can not take it to the range or bush legally. :(

Not really with the Aussie Aug's -- I've seen a few around here but my only AUG experience in with Austrian one - the Aussie SF uses the C8SFW and M4A1 - so that will tell you something...

Interesting how most NATO SOF use a variant of the M16, SAS, French...

Thanks KevinB.

Back