• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religious/Extremist Terrorism: Non-Muslim edition

"White supremacist gets 30 years prison for his plot to kill Muslims and Obama"
A self-proclaimed white supremacist convicted on charges he planned to use a “death ray” to kill Muslims and Barack Obama was sentenced on Monday to 30 years in prison, federal prosecutors in New York said.

Glendon Scott Crawford, 52, a Navy veteran and a member of the Ku Klux Klan, was found guilty in August 2015 of conspiring with another man to build a radiation dispersal device, dubbed a “death ray” by tabloids.

Crawford is the first person to be convicted under a law barring attempts to acquire or use a radiological dispersal device, which combines conventional explosives, such as dynamite, with radioactive material. Congress passed the statute in 2004 to punish individuals who try to set off a so-called “dirty bomb.”

US district judge Gary Sharpe imposed the sentence at a hearing in Albany, prosecutors said in a statement. He was convicted on three counts, including conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction.

Crawford, who is from upstate New York, plans to appeal the conviction as well as his sentence, his attorney Danielle Neroni said in a statement. His lawyers argued unsuccessfully at trial that he was entrapped by the government.

Crawford’s co-conspirator, Eric Feight, pleaded guilty in connection with the case and was sentenced to eight years and one month in prison.*

US prosecutors had sought life in prison for Crawford. He faced a mandatory minimum of 25 years. After his release, he will be supervised for life.

“His plot to murder people he did not know was designed to, in his oft-repeated words, ‘take his country back’ from government leaders by forcing them to change government conduct he perceived as favoring Muslims,” prosecutors wrote in a pre-sentencing court filing ...
More via Google News here.

* - Last year's FBI/DOJ statement on Crawford's sidekick:
Eric J. Feight, 55, of Hudson, New York, was sentenced today to serve 97 months in prison for providing material support to terrorists.

The sentence was announced by Assistant Attorney General for National Security John P. Carlin, U.S. Attorney Richard S. Hartunian of the Northern District of New York, and Special Agent in Charge Andrew W. Vale of the FBI’s Albany, New York, Division.

Feight pleaded guilty on January 22, 2014, and admitted to helping Glendon Scott Crawford modify an industrial-grade radiation device intended to be used to kill Muslims in the Albany area. Feight also admitted he assisted Crawford by designing and building a remote initiation unit to allow the radiation device to be activated from a distance. Both men were arrested following an extensive federal investigation. Crawford, a self-proclaimed Ku Klux Klan (KKK) member, sought financial support for his plot from the KKK, and he and Feight later met with individuals they believed to be KKK financiers to advance their scheme to kill innocent Americans. Those individuals were actually FBI agents posing as businessmen connected to the KKK who were willing to support the scheme.

“Eric Feight aided Glendon Scott Crawford in altering a dispersal device to target unsuspecting Muslim Americans with lethal doses of radiation,” said Assistant Attorney General Carlin. “Feight and Crawford’s abominable plot to harm innocent Americans was thwarted thanks to the tireless efforts of law enforcement. The National Security Division’s highest priority continues to be combatting terrorism, and we remain ready to identify, disrupt and prevent terrorist threats, both domestically and internationally.”

“The sentence today highlights both the dangers we face when hatred and bigotry beget domestic terrorism and violent extremism, and our commitment to holding those who commit such crimes accountable,” said U.S. Attorney Hartunian. “No American—of any background—should have to live in fear of this kind of attack. This case illustrates the importance of vigilance by community members and an immediate, comprehensive investigation by our Albany FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force, which thwarted the diabolical plan Feight supported. We must continue to counter messages of hate by empowering communities and emphasizing the inclusion on which our nation was founded—with local, state and federal law enforcement ready to stop any who refuse to heed that call.”

“Today’s sentencing is the result of the incredible efforts of our Joint Terrorism Task Force and the U.S. Attorney’s Office,” said Special Agent in Charge Vale. “While we enjoy today’s success, it is important that we continue to gain the strongest possible understanding to allow us to better assess the terrorism threat and identify those who would go beyond hateful rhetoric and extremist views to commit violent, criminal acts.”

This case was investigated by the Albany FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Stephen C. Green and Richard Belliss of the Northern District of New York, and Trial Attorney Joseph Kaster of the National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section.

- mod edit to fix links -

milnews.ca said:

That's nice, but "In 2010, a death row inmate waited an average of 178 months (roughly 15 years) between sentencing and execution."
https://www.google.ca/search?q=average+time+on+deth+row&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=b311WODrD4eN8Qe2gb7oDA&gws_rd=ssl#q=average+time+on+death+row

Assuming they don't commute it to life, like they did with Manson and Winston Moseley etc...

Not like the old days. Zangara spent 10 days on death row!

DHS & FBI compare & contrast American & European anarchist extremists ...
...  DHS and FBI assess the primary factor explaining the difference in targets between foreign and US anarchist extremists is foreign anarchist extremists’ focus on specific economic and governance issues relative to their geographic area, while US anarchist extremists tend to focus on symbols of capitalism. We assess the likely primary factor explaining foreign anarchist extremists’ greater willingness to use more violent tactics than their US counterparts is that these foreign anarchist extremist movements are often more organized—allowing for more complex attacks—and have a well-established tradition of lethal violence not currently seen in the United States.

The vast majority of US anarchist extremist attacks targeted property likely due to the location’s accessibility and as a symbol of capitalism and globalization. Most foreign anarchist extremist attacks targeted persons likely because of the cohesiveness of the movement and greater emphasis on issues that can be blamed on local, individual targets. US anarchist extremists targeted the banking/finance sector most often, as these perceived soft targets of capitalism are possible to attack with tactics that are non-lethal yet cause significant economic damage and pose significant public safety risks. Foreign anarchist extremists most often targeted government entities, likely due to the emphasis placed on local domestic issues by foreign anarchist extremists and their capabilities to commit attacks against hardened targets.

Arson was the most common violent tactic used by US anarchist extremists—approximately 70 percent (19 of 27) of attacks—while foreign anarchist extremists used arson in only a third of their attacks. US anarchist extremists likely use this tactic based on their intention to cause economic and property damage, which can be accomplished by arson with relatively limited resources and specialized skills. Unlike US anarchist extremists, foreign anarchist extremists frequently used explosives, likely due to their capability to develop more advanced explosive devices as a result of their more organized structure, having a history of using such tactics, and because their targets are hardened.

Social Justice

Social justice issues––specifically opposition to gentrification and opposition to perceived racism and fascism––were the second most common driver of violence for US anarchist extremists, as they accounted for 26 percent (7 of 27) of attacks. Social justice issues accounted for 12 percent of violent foreign anarchist extremist attacks, although these incidents occurred only in Greece and were all against perceived fascism. Although social justice issues can motivate anarchist extremists to violence, they are often a driver for violence if a social justice issue occurs within a location that also has an anarchist extremist presence.

Social justice issues often result in legal protest activities, and historically, in both the United States and abroad, anarchist extremists have been known to co-opt legal protests as a cover to commit violence against their targets. However, a review of data in this study indicated in the seven social-justice motivated violent incidents committed by US anarchist extremists, only one of those incidents exploited otherwise legal protest activity. The reasons for this finding are currently a reporting gap ...
- mod edit to fix link -

Toronto police arrest a home grown terrorist.
Good thing too,  that sign would have caused a lot of death and destruction.

https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=108_1486253318

Jarnhamar said:
Toronto police arrest a home grown terrorist.
Good thing too,  that sign would have caused a lot of death and destruction.

https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=108_1486253318

Let's see.....The guy was a known activist.  He was told not to go down the street that the protest was on.  He was told not to show his sign to incite the protest.  He intentionally went to a location where he pulled out his sign and with the intent to incite the protesters.  He was arrested peacefully and taken away.  The whole matter had nothing to do with the protest, nor Sharia, but of one idiot who was out to make a scene and got arrested.  Actually a case of sensationalizing a non-event, to incite people.  The police handled him in a respectful manner, even in the arrest, and no violence happened.

I still find it weird the police can order someone not to walk down a street or hold up a sign which "intices people".  The sign seems hardly vitorlic.    So much for being held accountable for your own actions.

I'm sure I'm just being grumpy and melodramatic though.

Jarnhamar said:
I still find it weird the police can order someone not to walk down a street or hold up a sign which "intices people".  The sign seems hardly vitorlic.    So much for being held accountable for your own actions.
There have also been cases where people carrying Canadian flags have been told, "don't go there - you'll only make things worse."
George Wallace said:
Let's see.....The guy was a known activist.  He was told not to go down the street that the protest was on.  He was told not to show his sign to incite the protest.  He intentionally went to a location where he pulled out his sign and with the intent to incite the protesters.  He was arrested peacefully and taken away.  The whole matter had nothing to do with the protest, nor Sharia, but of one idiot who was out to make a scene and got arrested.
:nod:

milnews.ca said:
There have also been cases where people carrying Canadian flags have been told, "don't go there - you'll only make things worse."
Editing to head back on topic but want to say if Canadians are being told not to carry a Canadian flag for safety reasons (in Canada) then there is a big problem.

My wife and I were just discussing how sh*thead in Quebec just handed the Islamists a free pass for the next while and tossed legal gun owners under the bus as well. I wish these guys when they get a bright idea of killing someone, they would practice on themselves first.

From earlier this week:
A 29-year-old white supremacist from South Carolina allegedly plotting an attack inspired by Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof was arrested by federal agents in an FBI sting this week.

His plan ran into some other logistical problems along the way: his mother wouldn’t let him use her cellphone, and he had to borrow money from his grandfather to buy a weapon from the undercover FBI agent he thought was a member of the Aryan Nations.

The FBI on Wednesday arrested Benjamin Thomas Samuel McDowell of Conway, South Carolina, in the parking lot of a Hampton Inn in Myrtle Beach after he purchased a disabled Glock and hollow point ammunition from an undercover federal agent for $109 ...
More from the U.S. DOJ:
Conway Man Arrested by the FBI on Federal Gun Charge

Columbia, South Carolina ---- United States Attorney Beth Drake stated today that Benjamin Thomas Samuel McDowell, age 29, of Conway, South Carolina, appeared before a federal magistrate judge this morning in Florence, South Carolina, for an initial appearance following his arrest last night in Myrtle Beach by the FBI. McDowell was arrested for a violation of possession of a firearm and ammunition by a prohibited person, a violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 922(g)(1).

A preliminary hearing and a detention hearing for McDowell have been calendared for Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 2:30pm at the McMillan Federal Building in Florence, South Carolina. McDowell remains in custody. The case is being investigated by the FBI, the Horry County Police Department, and the Myrtle Beach Police Department.

U.S. Attorney Drake stated that all charges are merely accusations and all defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.

#####​

I'll be honest, this thread sorta feels like a tit for tat kind of argument. So with that in mind,  do you think it's at all telling that examples of Religious/Extremist Terrorism:  Non-Muslim edition pop up in ones and twos yet in the last 4 days we see numbers like this from Islamic attacks?

2 hours ago - Officials in Pakistan say they have killed at least 39 suspected militants in a sweeping security crackdown a day after a massive bombing claimed by Islamic State killed 88 people and injured hundreds more at a crowded shrine
20 hours ago - At least 48 people have been killed in a car bombing in Baghdad that has been claimed by Isis

and just in general

(CNN)Since declaring its caliphate in June 2014, the self-proclaimed Islamic State has conducted or inspired more than 140 terrorist attacks in 29 countries other than Iraq and Syria, where its carnage has taken a much deadlier toll. Those attacks have killed at least 2,043 people and injured thousands more.

Apologize if I'm off the mark with this.

Jarnhamar said:
I'll be honest, this thread sorta feels like a tit for tat kind of argument.

(...)

Apologize if I'm off the mark with this.
I think we have the jihadi terror discussion pretty well covered (at least 50 pages here, with more on specific incidents here, here and here, to show just a few). 

Just showin' 1)  it's not just one group/creed/affiliation/whatever being nasty, and 2)  trying to let people see how other bad guys do things (remember the Taliban propaganda threads?).
Jarnhamar said:
... do you think it's at all telling that examples of Religious/Extremist Terrorism:  Non-Muslim edition pop up in ones and twos ...
Zackly what this kind of thread shows (2 pages vs. how many pages elsewhere on the forums) - not much, but it's not zero, either.

Fair enough!  It's important not to concentrate on one and ignore the other for sure.  I think I'll give my lamenting a rest for a while ;)

Jarnhamar said:
Fair enough!  It's important not to concentrate on one and ignore the other for sure.  I think I'll give my lamenting a rest for a while ;)
That's a pretty soft lament, bud  ;D

Thanks for asking - it's good for me to consider my motivations from time to time, esp. with the kind of passion-fanning stuff we & others sometimes discuss around these parts.

Regardless of which flavour terrorist/asshole ideology they spring from, I'm glad that they're catching those they can before they act upon their plans.  My gratitude goes out to all those labouring behind the scenes at the various intelligence/security/law enforcement agencies to this end.  I can well imagine the unpaid debt of gratitude I rack up on a daily basis.  :salute:

Colin P said:
One can argue that M-103 will just create more of these Non-Muslim radical terrorists.
I really wish I could discount this completely, but ...  :(

Back