• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religious/Extremist Terrorism: Non-Muslim edition

No. No it’s not, unfortunately. Why would it not happen here too?

I wish all the best to the police who will be turning over every stone to rip this little shit’s life apart right now, and I hope they get sufficient evidence of the ideological element necessary to support terrorism charges on this. I hope their family and community see real justice.
And I agree with you.

Cranks only had "Letters to the Editor" of newspapers back then. Or hand out their pamphlets on street corners. Now they can get together online on Parler.

I'm not sure if Parler is back in operation, still.

But they can, and do, use facebook and twitter as well.

So do left-leaning elements such as Antifa and BLM - which is an openly and self-declared Marxist organization that has caused well over a billion dollars of insurable damage and led to at least two dozen deaths.

Overall, leftist ideology has caused more death, destruction, and misery than any other around the planet.

If you want to argue Domestic Extremism in 2021,
( FBI Director ) Wray reemphasized the growing threat of domestic extremism in his remarks, noting that white supremacy was the largest chunk of "racially motivated" violent extremism, which makes up the largest subset of domestic extremism overall.

Top law enforcement officials say the biggest domestic terror threat comes from white supremacists.​

FBI Director Christopher Wray says there's no question violent white supremacy is behind most of domestic terror attacks in the U.S.

And in breaking news from London, Ontario

Police say driver 'intentionally' crashed into Muslim family in London, Ont., killing 4​

LONDON, ONT. -- Police in London, Ont. have charged a suspect with four counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder after he allegedly hit five pedestrians because of their Islamic faith, killing four members of the same family.

Deceased are a 74-year-old woman, a 46-year-old man, a 44-year-old woman and a 15-year-old girl. A nine-year-old boy is recovering in hospital from serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

The crash occurred around 8:40 p.m. Sunday when the driver of a pickup truck, Nathaniel Veltman, 20, of London, allegedly struck five people walking on Hyde Park Road near South Carriage Road.

During a news conference Monday afternoon, London police confirmed that there was evidence that the incident was hate-motivated and premeditated but didn't go into specifics as to why.

"There is evidence that this was a planned, premeditated act and that the family was targeted because of their Muslim faith," said Detective-Inspector. Paul Waight during the briefing.

Police also confirmed that the suspect wore a vest similar to body armor during the incident Sunday and that potential terrorism charges are being considered. . . .

(more at link)
I am assuming he was wearing some sort of tactical vest, you would think the police would know the difference? Odd that he had that and no other weapons mentioned? I am also assuming this family had a regular schedule which he could plan around, otherwise it would be hard to prove the premeditated bit.

I am assuming he was wearing some sort of tactical vest, you would think the police would know the difference? Odd that he had that and no other weapons mentioned? I am also assuming this family had a regular schedule which he could plan around, otherwise it would be hard to prove the premeditated bit.
Not really.

Just need to prove he wanted to mow down the first Muslim looking group of people he saw and that's all they need.

The Toronto van attacker didn't need to know the schedules of all the women he ran over, just needed a gathering of women.

The point I was trying to make was how different generations received information.

Yes. Prior generations and people who limit their intake to "establishment" media receive curated information, plus whatever the employees think people should hear/read. People with access to the web receive uncurated information and are exposed to better information, misinformation, and disinformation.

Yes. Personally, I put more trust in Walter Cronkite ( for those old enough to remember him ) than some of the "uncurated" information on social media. YMMV. :)

Yes. Personally, I put more trust in Walter Cronkite ( for those old enough to remember him ) than some of the "uncurated" information on social media. YMMV. :)
The media back then lied and pushed their own agendae as much as as today's media do. There was just no competition from independent media to show the other side of things, cover those stories that they did not wish to, go into much more detail, or expose their lies.

The explosion of cell phones in concert with online video sites such as Youtube (unfortunately growing more and more censorious), Rumble, Odyssee, and Bitchute etcetera has been a news and analysis revolution. It's also helped to improving policing, both for the benefit of good police and detriment of bad ones.

That's why a look as widely as I can afford to rather than accepting what some corporation whose primary goal is to sell advertising wants me to see, read, or hear. I want as many different viewpoints as I can get.

The dinosaur media are failing economically because fewer and fewer people trust them, and because better coverage, especially of local events, is available from interested and motivated amateurs.

The media back then lied and pushed their own agendae as much as as today's media do.
Which brings us back to,

70 pages.

But, haven't we been through this already in our 70-page "Media Bias" super-thread?

Using the phrase "a vest similar to body armour" might be simply 'hedging of words' which is very common these days. Investigators are very cautious and very cognizant of the future trial and there is a good chance a Det. Supt. has only been briefed on the investigation and not up on all the finer details. Everything said or done is subject to disclosure and/or potentially usable by the defence. Making conclusive statements of things not yet in evidence, regardless of how seemingly minor, can spark allegations of tunnel vision. A defence that gets witnesses to walk back inconsistencies can try to play on the credibility of the overall investigation. They only have to get a jury to think about reasonable doubt. 'From little seeds grow . . . '

We also don't know if he targeted these specific victims. The area might simply be an immigrant-heavy neighbourhood.

Much multi-agency investigation will no doubt continue, but if this turns out to be an unaffiliated lone wolf who crawled out of his parents' basement, I'm not sure the addition of terrorism-related charges will do much for the prosecution. First degree murder already carries a life sentence with the potential for consecutive sentencing (depending on how the SCOC rules on the case before it), and you don't have to prove motive - just that it was intentional.

Canada’s Trudeau vows to fight far-right groups after Muslim family slain​

"We'll continue to fight hate online and offline ... (including) taking more action to dismantle far-right hate groups, like we did with the Proud Boys by adding them to Canada's terror listing," said Trudeau, due to attend a vigil outside the mosque later on Tuesday.

Veltman appears to have had little social media footprint.

Sounds like someone might be situating the estimate.

Canada’s Trudeau vows to fight far-right groups after Muslim family slain​

Sounds like someone might be situating the estimate.
Or maybe the suspect simply proudly stated what he did and why he did it to the police already.

Do Muslims tend to fall into either left or right wings?

They seem to be more conservative/traditionalist than the average Westerner. As a group (and I realize that no group is monolithic), they tend to be more, and more seriously, religious.

Would what we normally consider to be terrorist activities committed by Islamists then, also, be considered "far right"?

I stumbled across something a few weeks ago that mentioned that such acts are also listed as "far-right" by some US agencies but did not investigate further and cannot remember the source.

I keep seeing "far-right hate groups" and "white supremacists" being held up as the ultimate boogeymen by certain politicians and media types, but little evidence of actual dangerous activity. I am far more concerned about the left-wing violence that I see - Antifa and BLM in particular.

I am also rather sceptical about rising rates of anti-semitism being attributed to "far-right"/"white supremacist" groups, when this rise seems to coincide with increasing numbers of Muslim immigrants in many areas - they are not exactly fans of Judaism.

There are violent extremists in any identifiable group, but it is only fashionable to go after one.

According to this article it appears that the alleged killer lived alone, played loud computer games and got into arguments with his neighbours:

Nathaniel Veltman lived alone, neighbors say he 'played video games very loud'

One neighbor, who identified herself as Chelsea, said that she had had arguments with Nathaniel Veltman over the 'constant noise' from his home

By Pathikrit Sanyal

Updated On : 06:14 PST, Jun 8, 2021

[IMG alt="
Nathaniel Veltman lived alone, neighbors say he 'played video games very loud'"]https://cheesecake.articleassets.me...9-11eb-9ba0-6bcee7db4fea_800_420.png[/IMG]The Muslim family of five targetted by Nathaniel Veltman in Ontario, Canada (Twitter/Anna Arbonheim)

LONDON, ONTARIO: The incident where 20-year-old Nathaniel Veltman, a White man, ran over and killed four members of a Canadian Muslim family, is being seen as a hate crime. Police in London, Ontario, said that Veltman, who was arrested after the incident, has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.

While cops have not released the victims' names officially, the dead have been reported to be Syed Afzaal, 46, his wife, Madiha Salman, 44, and their 15-year-old daughter, Yumnah Afzaal. Syed Afzaal’s 74-year-old mother, whose name has not been confirmed, also died. Their nine-year-old son, Faez Afzaal, is in the hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

06163e65-9345-4385-a1cc-6b3d2399a37f.png
Hyde Park, where the attack took place in London, Ontario. (Google Maps)
"There is evidence that this was a planned, premeditated act, motivated by hate," Detective Superintendent Paul Waight of the London police department said. "We believe the victims were targeted because of their Islamic faith.” Waight also said that there is no known connection between Veltman and the family.

While the suspect does not have a criminal record and is not known to be a member of any hate group, his neighbors have said that he was an odd person. Speaking to the London Free Press on Monday night, June 7, some neighbors at his apartment building described Veltman as a person who rarely interacted with others.

One neighbor, who only identified herself as Chelsea, said that she had had arguments with him over “constant noise” from his home, where he allegedly lived alone. “I had a lot of fights with him and had to bang on his door and ask him to stop because I have a four-year-old and it was just constant, even, like, at 3 am,” she said.

Another neighbor, on condition of anonymity, said that Veltman, who had lived at the address for about a year, “just looked like a nerdy white kid, I guess, who played video games very loud.”

In the March 2019 mosque attacks in Christchurch, New Zealand, Brenton Tarrant, the man who carried out the deadly assault, was found to have expressed racist views. He was also found to be an avid Internet user and online gamer, who had few childhood friends. Aside from that, as an adult, he reportedly rarely made long-lasting relationships with people outside of his immediate family.

abd2eecc-67a1-4e21-a146-b87b8adcfa40.1212455378
A Muslim man adjusts flowers at the entrance of the Masjid An-Nur mosque on March 15, 2020 in Christchurch, New Zealand. 51 people were killed and dozens were injured following the worst mass shooting in New Zealand's history after a man opened fire at Masjid An-Nur (also referred to as Al Noor Mosque) and the Linwood Islamic Centre in Christchurch on 15 March 2019 (Photo by Lisa Maree Williams/Getty Images)

Alexandre Bissonnette, who opened gunfire at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec City, a mosque in the Sainte-Foy neighborhood of Quebec City in January 2017, was unknown to police and had not been on any watch lists prior to the attack. He too was described by friends as a “xenophobe”, and as someone who was “enthralled by a borderline racist nationalist movement.” He was also described by acquaintances as a “gamer type.”

The similarities between the profiles of the three men are significant. Veltman was arrested in a mall parking lot without incident while wearing a body-armor-type vest, police said. There is no evidence he had any accomplices. Besides Veltman, the other famous Canadian 'van killer' is "incel" Alek Minassian, who drove a white rental van into multiple pedestrians, killing 10 people and injuring another 16 in 2018.

London Mayor Ed Holder said it was the worst mass murder his city had ever seen. "We grieve for the family, three generations of whom are now deceased," Holder told reporters. "This was an act of mass murder, perpetrated against Muslims, against Londoners, and rooted in unspeakable hatred." Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that he was "horrified" by the news, adding that "Islamophobia has no place in any of our communities. This hate is insidious and despicable -- and it must stop."

Link

I keep seeing "far-right hate groups" and "white supremacists" being held up as the ultimate boogeymen by certain politicians and media types,
And the FBI,

Back