• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembering 9-11 (merged anniversary thread)

RiflemanPhil

Inactive
Reaction score
We all wear out deu's to commerorate our veterans on brothers on Nov 11. However, what do people here think about wearing them on the anniversary of 9/11, particularly this 5th year anniversary?

Nov 11th originally signified the end of a war...Sept 11th can be thought of as the beginning of one.  The two should never be compared.

Phil.....
Sept 11th may be something that the US may want to comemorate but, to me, it's like any of the other 364 days on the calendar.

But this war isn't over yet, so there is no way to commemorate this, or the new global age this has ushered in. In fact, I have profs who would argue that it is as significant or more so than WW2. Certainly it is the most influential event since the war. Good point though.
And Geo, that's really unfortunate, I feel sorry for you. But then again, so many Canadians naturally feel so hostile.

I don't understand how geo's response is hostile.

Anyhoo, I think it would be better served to commemorate on Nov 11th, with all the symbolism that this date holds  (e.g. end of hostilities, lost friends, etc) than to commemorate the beginning of fighting, at least when it comes to a full, all out military parade as we see in November.

My $0.02

Phil,

no need to feel sorry for me... thanks for caring though ;)
I've worn the uniform for 35+yrs and each day & each year has meaning for me.

However, to the Canadian public, they will all tell ya that 9/11 though a terrible event, is not part of Canadian history.  The US asking Canada for support as a result of the event has meaning but, other than lots of planes landing in Canada that day, it's just another date on the calendar.... same a December 7th 1941

Should we commemorate the Moscow theatre hostage incident, the one that started on October 23 2002?
many innocent people were killed then...

I also See a huge difference in the sense that for Rememberance Day we remember those who fought, and died doing thier duty.  Because of them, we are all here, and speaking english ( or french).  In 9-11, all those people were cut down unsuspectingly, unkowningly, and killed by radicals who were no more than steaming piles of slime.
Remember 9-11, of course...but do we really want to commemorate such a terrible day?

I'm not suggesting military parades, just a simple show of support on the one day that seems to important. Geo showed a lack of compassion. Not necessarily hostility. However, in the phrasing of his response, I picked up a negative connotation with the United States of America, which I think is yet again another example of Canadian ignorance - or misguidedness - you can take your pick. America is tied in with us whether we like it or not. Attacking the Twin Towers was an attack on the West. Which, believe it or not, we are a part of. The jihadists hate us just as much, and their hatred is growing.
And Geo, congratulations, I'm sure that you are a great soldier. I have not been wearing the uniform for that long. I haven't even been alive that long. That doesn't necessarily mean that I don't have something reasonable to say, I'm much more of an academic than a soldier. And I believe that we should remember dates like that as well, though Pearl Harbour did not have nearly the same implication on this country as 9/11 did.

RiflemanPhil said:
However, would do people here think about wearing them on the anniversary of 9/11, particularilly this 5th year anniversary?
how about, NOOOO, ya crazy Dutch bastard? Any other days you want us to dress up for? Bastille Day? Cinco De Mayo? Mao's birthday? They're all equally relevent to Canada. By all means, pause for a minute and commemorate the loss of life. Use it to steel your resolve to kill as many scumbags as you can. But, I got more important things to do in the war effort than bother with a self-inflicted Change Parade.

Don't forget Oklahoma City bombing if your thinking 9/11...terrorism is terrorism, right?

I'm with geo, wearing my uniform with pride everyday and remembering Nov 11 in particular.

G2G

Hey.... if you want us to dedicate a day to demonstrate support for our neighbours, Fine, I have no problem for that..... but it does not have to be Sept 11th...... it can be any day.... some could say it should be every day.

RiflemanPhil said:
However, in the phrasing of his response, I picked up a negative connotation with the United States of America, which I think is yet again another example of Canadian ignorance - or misguidedness - you can take your pick.
before you go any farther (oops, too late!) in your relating geo with anti-Americanism, you just MIGHT want to actually read through his posts.

"though Pearl Harbour did not have nearly the same implication on this country as 9/11 did. "

Perhaps not nationally, no...but historically and globally it had a profound effect.  It may not have had such an effect at the time of the attack, but a few years down the road that event pretty much saved us and our allies.

If the Americans wish to do something like you are suggesting, let them
Once, or if this current war on terror is won I feel we will surely commemorate it somehow and in that commemoration, 9-11 will certainly be a massive part.
A lot of people know that WW2 started when Germany invaded Poland, and WW1 was set off by the assasination of Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand.  But niether of those days were, or are celebrated (bad word to use, I am sorry)  individually.  Their significance is made clear on Rememberance Day.

I think if one were to put Remberance Day into it's proper perspective, it was originally intended to signify the end of the "Great War" (after all, it wasn't called World War I until there was a World War II, no?!?!). And the notion of "Never again!!" is what it was all about, with the rememberance of all the soldiers, particularly those that made the ultimate sacrifice, who fought in the "war to end all wars".

I think people like to associate things that have some connection to their times as being more important than those things that happened in another generations times. To use a pop culture analogy, have you ever seen the lists of the Top 100 <insert item here: movie, song, album, musicians, etc>? Invariably something that pales in comparison to a true legend or classic will be listed, as it is fresh in people's minds. Putting some boy band or pop tart, like Ashlee Simpson, in the same category as the Beatles, or even Elvis Presley, or Muddy Waters, is blasphemy, but it happens every time a list like that is compiled.

I am with geo, paracowboy, and the others: it (Sep 11) is just another day, with much meaning, but it should not overshadow the day that we (the CF) stop and honour all the soldiers that came before us (and those who are fighting the good fight, even now as we speak) have paid the ultimate sacrifice to ensure that our countrymen, and others, can be free: November 11th, at 1100hrs. To do otherwise dilutes the intent.

Al

paracowboy said:
Any other days you want us to dress up for?....Cinco De Mayo?

Well, since this is down amongst the mindlessness that is the Mess....I'm OK with celebrating Cinco de Mayo.
But then that opens up the whole can of worms about which massive French defeats one should commemorate - - so many butt kickings, so few days ;D

The problem with all of this is that it is so media hyped that everyone thinks we should be doing something. Someone pretty high up in authority here called me the other day to see if we were having a memorial service at the Chapel or anything and my response was pretty much what others have said on this page..."no, it's another day, we're moving on..." there was a a pause at the other end and then "oh ok then." a little surprised but didn't press me to get something organized.
We're busy getting people ready to go on ops....making NOK notifications for the causalities of this war and a myriad of other stuff....we don't need another commemoration day...we need to move on as others have said to prosecute this thing and then we can decide what day might best be utilized to remember the whole period or add this action to our monuments and once again remember them all on the 11th of November....which in my humble opinion should be designated a national holiday (in the true sense a "holy day").
My .02 cents worth

I was sitting in the cafeteria early this morning at the college, and I was thinking about 9/11. I was particularly upset because the college is not having, to my knowledge, a memorial (or even moment of silence), for the victims of 9/11. I decided to put my thoughts to paper, which I rarely do. I am going to post what I wrote, just because I want our neighbours to the south know that we care. This is not a post against Islam, or against any nation/culture/religion. This is a tribute to those who died 5 years ago this day.

To those who fell victim in the WTC and surrounding area:
Your death shall not be in vain. You died because foreign extremists were out to prove to the world that we, the "West", are not invincible. It is through your deaths that justice can be exacted on those who vie to see our culture fall simply because we are not of their beliefs. The men and women in Afghanistan are over there for you. They pledge their lives to our freedom, so that such a tragic event may never happen again. May they succeed. Rest in peace.

To the men and women overseas:
You stand for a greater cause than just a "political agenda". You are an expeditionary force through which our culture may defend itself against radical extremism. You put your lives on the line so that those back home can live free. Some of you die for this. None of you have died in vain. You have to died so that others may live. Rest in peace.

To the first-wave responders of the WTC attacks:
You did not take into account your safety or your lives  when you were called to respond to such a disastrous catastrophe. You laid your lives down in the service of your fellow countrymen (and women). You are the perfect example of why the extremists will never be triumphant. Your selflessness lies at the opposite spectrum of the cause of the radicals. You are people of peace, not war. Rest in peace.

In the memory of all those who perished on 9/11, the ensuing chaos, and the following war on terror: May God, Allah, Yahweh, whoever your Lord may be, Rest Your Souls.

--Rice

Well done, Rice. Have you thought of posting it on a bulletin board - maybe get the gears going, if not for this year, but the next?

Five years ago today, when we all sat in front of our TVs and watched in true horror the attacks on the US, all around the world, as we did in suburan Sydney, five years on, I never thought where I'd be tonight. Thats in the thick of it. As I type these words out, the evening call to prayer is blarring accross our compound, and knowing that people out side the wire are already planning tomorrows wicked deeds against their own citizens and us.

So as many of you read this from your safe computer rooms, or watch TV, having pizza or Thai take-a-way, on what might be a chilly Canadian late summer's night, yes its a time to remember. Yesterday well out and about in Baghdad's IZ, I was near the 10CSH hospital, and I heard some Blackhawks, a whole steam of them coming in. yes they were Medivac choppers, and my heart sank as they headed for 10CSH's helepads. More US wounded coming in.

For some reason that scene has weighed heavy on my mind since, and thats one memory I will take home with me. With todays ever present blasting of VBIEDs and IEDs etc, the constant murders, extortion, executions, terror, torture, and frankly in gerenal all things which nightmares are made of, happens here every day. Some of these blasts are huge, seriously pushing a rather intense shockwave at times. I am beginning to not even realise what going on around me.

So, yes my thoughts tonight are with the families and friends not only of the victims of 2001, but of the growing list of US and allied forces who are paying the toll with their lives, including Canada's finest.

I also think of thousands of Allied soldiers who tonight are in harms way in many AOs in various theatres all in for the common cause. Tonight many are doing it hard, many you know, and many I know.

Wes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbbzKJTjU8Y

Jon Stewart, a comedian's thoughts on 9/11 after it happened.

Back