• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day...What to remember?

Quag

Inactive
Reaction score
OK, I usually don't rant.  In fact, I don't think I've ever started a thread purely to rant.  But this morning as I was about town, I heard a radio advertisement.

It said: "This Remembrance Day, remember those who served and those whom lost their lives in WW1, WW2 and Korea"....

Well I sat there thinking to myself, and what about those that are fighting and dying for OUR freedom in Afghanistan.  Or what about those that are posted other places. 
What about the men and women serving at home to keep US safe?

You'd think people would be more sensitive, especially in this day and age.

END rant.

"For all of these conflicts fought in far-off lands, there is much to remember. Foremost are the people, the men and women who served wherever they were needed. They faced difficult situations bravely and brought honour to themselves, to their loved ones and to their country. They were ordinary Canadians who made extraordinary sacrifices."

Found at: http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=history/other/remember

It's best not to get too wrapped around the axle by it. Average Joe Civvy will never understand the true meaning of remembering the sacrifices made. A special day of rememberance prompts them to think about it, but for the most part they probably won't ever really 'get it'. I've got a poppy on the sun-visor of my Jeep year round, and I don't think a day goes by that I don't reflect on the sacrifices made on my tour, the tours after mine, and all the generations of soldiers who served and sacrificed before I ever hit the ground in Kandahar as a naive and wet behind the ears young troop...

Some will 'remember', some won't. Educate who you can, but don't hold it against people who just won't get it. Ignorance is bliss.

My letter to the editor of the UWO gazette in 1997 following Remembrance Day:
http://www.gazette.uwo.ca/1997/November/13/Opinions4.htm

On Remembrance Day, I remember not only the Canadians who went to South Africa in 1899, or to Europe in 1914 and again in 1939, or to Korea in 1950, but I also remember my friend, Bill, whom I shall never see again. He shall not grow old. Thank you

You know, I visited the Niagra region a couple of years ago.  There was a lady (i believe she has passed away now) there who donated a large part of her estate to upkeep and maintain the war graves of those who fought in the war of 1812.  Her comment was that we always think of the sacrifice made in WW1, WW2 etc but that we never pause to think of those that fought in a war where our very survival as a country was at stake.  I thought it was pretty touching.  Seeing some of the graves, with the age of the soldiers really hit home too.  Since then, for some reason, I always take time to think about that conflict on Nov 11th.

Food for thought.

The radio add I heard this morning was different.  I can't recall the exact quote but it was something to the affect that we should remember those who fought and died and those who are fighting and serving now to protect our freedom.  I thought it was really poignant.  Of course this is Alberta and we do remember.

This is going to sound as blunt as a spoon, and I don't mean to get a big poo ball rolling, BUT:  Nov 11 is about those who made the ultimate sacrifice in all conflicts and operations.  It is not about those who came home, or those who will come home.... It is about those who never will.  Apologies for any offense.

+1 Kat. You've hit the nail right on the head there.

Back