• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remustering?

Dale Turner

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking at the possibility of remustering to the infantry from my current trade.  Now I dont have any infantry courses only my PLQ.  What's my chances of remustering and having only my leaf taken away? And if there is anybody that may have some info on what courses I'll have to take ie; all of QL3, or have some of it written off etc...

Dale  :soldier:

That will depend on alot of things.  Are you reg force or reserve?  (I'm not sure how reserve remusters work). What is you current trade and is it open to remuster out of?  There are certain "stressed" trades that are closed for remustering out of (veh tech, LCIS tech, FCS tech, etc- to the bes tof my knowledge). You will have to go through battle school and will be dropped down to Cpl at the least.  I'm not sure if they will drop you down to Private.....there aren't alot of people who remuster into the infantry!  As for the PLQ, you will be given credit for it (if it is Reg force) but don't expect to be promoted to MCpl for sometime within the infantry.  You will have to merit with the rest of the Cpls in the Bn.  having the PLQ will certainly help push you up faster.  I'm not sure if they are running infantry modules for PLQ now or if that is in the upcoming year, but you will have to do any infantry specific PLQ mods to be promoted.  You will also need a few other infantry courses like the Infantry Platoon Support Weapons Course, and if you are in a LAV Bn, the LAV Gunner/Crew Comd Course. What is your current trade now?

I'm a medic in the reserves.  I know that most people remuster out of the infantry to go to another trade.  I took my PLQ last summer with mostly infantry and most of them went on to DP2B right after our PLQ graduation.  That's what hooked me was Mod 6. The recce patrol and section attacks were such a great learning experience that I wondered how much more I was missing out on by being a medic.  I'm not looking to keep my leaf,( although it would be nice ), and I know that I'll have to put in my time, thats fine, I'm looking foward to taking the infantry courses.  I'm just curious in what order they'll be in and how long it'll take to get to the stage of taking the DP2B (or was DP2B replced by a PLQ infantry mod?)

:salute:

Snr Med A,
Roger, now that I have a bit more info, here's the scoop.  You'll be knocked down to Pte and will have to do battle school in it's entirety.  Upon graduation of battle school, you'll be sent to a battalion.  When you get your Cpls will depend on how much reserve time you have in.  you need a total of 4 years to be eligable for Cpl (in terms of days of service).  So depending on how much time you have in, you could be promoted to Cpl within a few months of being in Bn!
As for courses to expect, if you go to a LAV Bn, you are likely to spend a year as a rifleman and be loaded on either a Dvr Whl Crse or the LAV Driver course if you are already qualified driver wheel.  In my bn, we usually load more senior Cpls on gunner courses.  That being said, not everyone has to do a LAV course.  Even as a Pte, you can get loaded on Basic Recce, Para, mountain ops, etc.  in terms of what courses will come first, that will depend on what is being run and who is available!  (sorry, I can't give you the answer that you are probably looking for!)  Battalions usually run a QL4 cycle in the fall and run about 3-5 courses concurrently so there is the opportunity to get a course every year.  Depending on the operational cycle, there may even be 2 QL4 cycles in a year so if you miss out the first time, there's always a second.  As for the DP2B, that course is merit-loaded so I can't really give you a timeframe for that course.  I believe you have to be a MCpl to be loaded on it.  Hopefully that provides you with a bit more clarity on the issue.  Best of luck if you decide to take the plunge!

Have you ever considered CTing to the reg force as a medic?  Being a medic in an infantry battalion isn't a bad go either.  Our coy medic did basic para, basic mountain ops, desert and winter warfare while he was in the Bn- not bad for a MedA!  Anytime the Coy deploys for exercises, ranges or operations overseas, he's there with us.

Hey Royal,

Is it the same deal for your Coy Sigs?  Could you find out the prereq's to fill that posn for me?
Thx,
the managment.

Back