• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Renouncing Foreign Citizenship

Cui

Inactive
Reaction score
As I am a naturalized Canadian citizen, when I applied to join the CF I assumed that my Chinese citizen ceased once I became a Canadian citizen, since China did not recognize dual nationality. Thus I did not indicate that I held any other citizenship other than Canadian. My background check came back alright, and I did not think much of it. However, on my trip back to China this year, I found out that I was still technically a citizen of the PRC since my name was still on the household register (hukou) and I was eligible for a national identity card.

I am thinking of renouncing my Chinese citizenship, since it is not a big deal to me. I no longer hold a Chinese passport, and I would need a visa when I go to China anyway, as well I rarely go to China. If I do then will it be easier for security clearances once I do get enrolled in the CF? As giving up the Chinese citizenship will only mean some minor inconveniences when I do go to China, and that is a a sacrifice I'm very willing to make to be able to serve in the CF.

Will giving up my Chinese citizenship help in the process of obtaining a security clearance, or does it not really make that much of a difference?

Cui said:
. If I do then will it be easier for security clearances once I do get enrolled in the CF?

No.

Will giving up my Chinese citizenship help in the process of obtaining a security clearance, 

No.

Your background will still be investigated, just like everyone else, commensurate to the clearance you are seeking.

Your background will still be investigated, just like everyone else, commensurate to the clearance you are seeking.

I understand that, but I was wondering if having another citizenship will bring up complications in obtaining a clearance.

But thanks for the answers.

Cui said:
I understand that, but I was wondering if having another citizenship will bring up complications in obtaining a clearance.

But thanks for the answers.
No it should not from that standpoint.  Further to what Cdn mentioned, it will hinge on your whereabouts for the required period as per your application.  The more complicated, the more in depth, the longer it will take.

I have dual citizenship (ROC) and on the level 2 security clearance application there's an area for holders of dual citizenship where you have to explain why you want to retain your second citizenship. I was able to get my clearance without problems.

I'd really doubt our security clearance system if you can get above Secret with dual citizenship to China...

Back