• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Doesn’t solve the no money no crew issues.
Unless SK starts up a SPA and MBT line in Canada - but again a money issue for the Army.

Not sure even a Mall would certify them at this point.
If anyone has a chance, it will be SK who are used to bribing banana Republics.

As for the fate of the Victoria's , they would be a technological leap up for the Argentinians, as long as the US agreed due to ITAR. The Philippines have a place holder command for subs, so might be a another possibility.

Hanwha certainly seem to think this project is worth pursuing. Interesting how these announcements come so short on the heels of the recent Deep Blue Forum. Must have been some pretty encouraging words from the government during that event...

The link embedded in the article below is quite an interesting\ overview of the submarine requirements and what is on offer internationally.

What good are subs anyway?

On 5 November, a US military headquarters made an unusual announcement.

“An Ohio-class submarine arrived in the US Central Command area of responsibility,” the Command told the world, accompanying the brief statement with a picture of the submarine in the Suez Canal, which is where a US warship ceases to be under European Command and comes under Central Command, aka CentCom.

The US doesn’t normally publicise its submarine movements, so the announcement is unusual. The submarine is also unusual: it’s one of just four SSGNs, nuclear powered guided-missile submarines, in the US Navy.

The four SSGNs were made by taking a normal Ohio-class SSBN, a nuclear powered deterrent submarine armed with nuclear intercontinental ballistic missiles, and removing the Trident ballistic missiles. Many of the Trident launch cells are replaced with multi-shot canisters containing conventionally-armed Tomahawk cruise missiles, giving the submarine a formidable arsenal of over a hundred powerful weapons able to strike targets afloat or ashore over a thousand miles away.

Also interestingly, some of the vacated Trident space is used to create “lock out chambers”, airlocks which permit divers to leave the submarine under water. It’s also possible to fit the submarine with a “dry deck shelter”, a small docking bay in which a mini-submarine can be carried. This means that the mother sub can remain undetectably submerged offshore in deep water and send frogmen in to make a landing without anyone seeing them by eye or radar until they emerge on shore. The SSGN which transited the Suez Canal had such a DDS fitted.

SSGNs also have extra accommodation allowing them to carry 60+ special forces operators for sustained periods of time, or 100+ for shorter periods. These special operators naturally need to be divers to operate from the sub, so they would normally come from the US Navy’s elite SEAL teams.

... if I were a member of the Houthi rebel movement, perhaps engaged in launching missiles and drones at Israel, I would be reluctant to hang about anywhere near the sea right now.

Or a thousand miles of the sea anyway given the range of the Tomahawk. You know Europe sounds nice this time of year.
Perhaps it's time the Houthis might consider a vacation . I understand that a vacation sometimes might be a real life saver.

And a million vacations is what you've got in mind.

What good are subs anyway?

Using an Ohio to drop SEAL’s in Yemen is a very expensive and wasteful process, as you don’t need that level of stealth to do OTB Ops in Yemen.
LA and VA’s can also do Lockouts and carry underwater delivery vehicles - without wasting an Ohio.

Frankly for Yemen, you can drive a fast boat or Helo much easier that doesn’t require one to swim.

If I was going to put the Ohio somewhere, it would probably be in the Persian Gulf, as it can hit anything in Iran, Yemen, Syria and Lebanon from there, as well as Infil or Extract SMU folks from the Iranian Gulf Coast

Using an Ohio to drop SEAL’s in Yemen is a very expensive and wasteful process, as you don’t need that level of stealth to do OTB Ops in Yemen.
LA and VA’s can also do Lockouts and carry underwater delivery vehicles - without wasting an Ohio.

Frankly for Yemen, you can drive a fast boat or Helo much easier that doesn’t require one to swim.

If I was going to put the Ohio somewhere, it would probably be in the Persian Gulf, as it can hit anything in Iran, Yemen, Syria and Lebanon from there, as well as Infil or Extract SMU folks from the Iranian Gulf Coast

Making the best of a bad situation? The fastest route available to relocate and Atlantic/Med asset to the Indian Ocean/Persian Gulf is via the Suez. I doubt an Ohio can transit the Suez submerged. If you can't sneak through you might as well make a show of it.

Making the best of a bad situation? The fastest route available to relocate and Atlantic/Med asset to the Indian Ocean/Persian Gulf is via the Suez. I doubt an Ohio can transit the Suez submerged. If you can't sneak through you might as well make a show of it.
Oh I have doubt it’s being done very clearly to demonstrate the capability.

It is a warning to those that would do Israel harm. In essence - you mess with Bibi then you answer to me.
Actually we have some significant issues with some of the local players that are separate from the Israeli issue at this point in time.

It’s a Two’fer or Three’fer in this case.

Actually we have some significant issues with some of the local players that are separate from the Israeli issue at this point in time.

It’s a Two’fer or Three’fer in this case.
Oh I am aware of your issues with some other bad actors.

FYI

Government spending $3.5 million on spare parts for aging submarines that rarely patrol​

3.5 million!!! That's a penny under the seat cushion.

FYI

Government spending $3.5 million on spare parts for aging submarines that rarely patrol​

3.5 million!!! That's a penny under the seat cushion.
To be honest, $3.5M is barely a rounding error in govt spending. It sounds like a lot to folks who don’t deal with govt spending much.

sam winchester yawn GIF

To be honest, $3.5M is barely a rounding error in govt spending. It sounds like a lot to folks who don’t deal with govt spending much.

sam winchester yawn GIF
they have been hiding a 150 million dollar write off for drugs that were never even produced. At least they got the parts needed for their 3.5 and they were probably delivered on time and for the contracted price.

they have been hiding a 150 million dollar write off for drugs that were never even produced. At least they got the parts needed for their 3.5 and they were probably delivered on time and for the contracted price.
And don't forget the $54 million paid to a couple of guys to come up with the ArriveCan app. Which BTW is under investigation.

sam winchester yawn GIF
When the DND budget is 20 billion, 3.5 mil is pocket change. Big pockets though…

Back