• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

I say lets torpedo this sidetrack and submerge ourselves back into sub talk.

Given that this looks like its going to be about $110 billion for submarines, not all is going to go overseas. Hanwa has recently bough a US shipyard to expand operations. Any thoughts on any of the bidders doing the same should they get a contract? Expand at least a repair/refit position into Canada.

I understand there isn't capacity to build but given it will probably be a 10 year build program there is time for infrastructure developments/investment.

Given that this looks like its going to be about $110 billion for submarines, not all is going to go overseas. Hanwa has recently bough a US shipyard to expand operations. Any thoughts on any of the bidders doing the same should they get a contract? Expand at least a repair/refit position into Canada.

I understand there isn't capacity to build but given it will probably be a 10 year build program there is time for infrastructure developments/investment.
Would that make sense as a partnership with Victoria Shipyard/Seaspan at their site, Seaspan North Vancouver, or better somewhere else (Port Alberni? Prince George? Powell River?).

Would that make sense as a partnership with Victoria Shipyard/Seaspan at their site, Seaspan North Vancouver, or better somewhere else (Port Alberni? Prince George? Powell River?).
Shipyards are supported by a large group of sub-contractors and suppliers, coming in every day. Doing a shift at the drydock, I will see 50 different deliveries in a day. Possibly 50-100 contractors depending on how many vessels are in drydock at any one time.

My guess is they will contract out components and other non-submarine contracts, along with upgrading existing maintenance facilities. KS-111 is 13m longer, 2m wider and around 1,000 tons heavier than the Victoria class. Likely they would offer to build a similar facility on the East Coast as well.

Also the Careen which is the drydock currently used to float the subs in and out of the water is getting pretty long in the tooth. The SK team could offer to similar drydocks as part of the offer, the government owns them, but leases them out to the Shipyards who do the repairs. Or just owns them outright and builds up Marine services to operate them, as they would be busier than currently with subs going in and out. Also if the case is we have more subs and the drydock in Esquimalt harbour, you might want to have a corrosion suppression installed into the harbour. Seaspan has that for the Panamax drydock here in North Van.

Also the Careen which is the drydock currently used to float the subs in and out of the water is getting pretty long in the tooth. The SK team could offer to similar drydocks as part of the offer, the government owns them, but leases them out to the Shipyards who do the repairs. Or just owns them outright and builds up Marine services to operate them, as they would be busier than currently with subs going in and out. Also if the case is we have more subs and the drydock in Esquimalt harbour, you might want to have a corrosion suppression installed into the harbour. Seaspan has that for the Panamax drydock here in North Van.
Why not the old Saint John Drydock? Revitalize that facility.

I heard it was fully defunct and paved or something.

Also the Careen which is the drydock currently used to float the subs in and out of the water is getting pretty long in the tooth

This is not an uncommon way to improve infrastructure, using a large project and getting the budget amended to include these sorts of upgrades.

Should we not be thinking that a change in government will nulify all lib plans and new gov will start from scratch again with endless study's that will cause endless delays. Same old Same old.
This is a tradition of defence planning in Canada, which is why people like Erin O’Toole and others need to be right on top of this so that Mr. Pierre Polyester doesn’t scuttle it along with all the other projects.

There’s lots of other places to cut federal spending, defence capital equipment, OM, ammunition and fuel, supplies can no longer be that target.

This is a tradition of defence planning in Canada, which is why people like Erin O’Toole and others need to be right on top of this so that Mr. Pierre Polyester doesn’t scuttle it along with all the other projects.

There’s lots of other places to cut federal spending, defence capital equipment, OM, ammunition and fuel, supplies can no longer be that target.
Given Poilievre's comments about not being committed to NATO spending levels, I'm not sure there's much hope for CAF funding if he gets in.

Given Poilievre's comments about not being committed to NATO spending levels, I'm not sure there's much hope for CAF funding if he gets in.
He’s certainly being careful about committing to anything other than what he’s sloganeering, however there’s no election so he need not put forth a plan or commitment on the file.

Shame none of the national outlets have picked up this article.

Canadian Submarine Force trains future allied captains

This year’s SOCT was comprised of five officers. Countries participating included South Korea, Italy, the Netherlands, and Canada. Commander (Cdr) Éric Isabelle, HMCS Corner Brook captain, was the lead instructor for this serial.

There's South Korea popping yet again in an article where the words 'Canada', 'Submarine' and 'South Korea' all appear together.

Shame none of the national outlets have picked up this article.

Canadian Submarine Force trains future allied captains

This year’s SOCT was comprised of five officers. Countries participating included South Korea, Italy, the Netherlands, and Canada. Commander (Cdr) Éric Isabelle, HMCS Corner Brook captain, was the lead instructor for this serial.

There's South Korea popping yet again in an article where the words 'Canada', 'Submarine' and 'South Korea' all appear together.

To be honest this is “base paper” stuff and if it wasn’t a political issue, it wouldn’t even be a footnote.

We (aircrew) train other countries’ folks all the time but I don’t expect to hear about it on anything until the future aircrew contract comes on line.

As an outside observer, I cannot help but notice that the (few) Conservative MPs with strong military roots (O'Toole, Ruff) do not have strong "voices" on 'Team Poilievre.'

Back