• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reporters walk out on PM

Interesting commentary by Paul Wells in MacLeans Magazine in 2003 where he really nails the Press Gallery.

Matthew.  :salute:

Link: http://weblogs.macleans.ca/paulwells/archives/week_2006_05_21-2006_05_27.asp#002357

Excerpt:

We have become a ridiculous bunch. For the past five years it was hard to find 200 words, in even the Globe and Mail, on the contents or ramifications of any bill before the Commons. In fact, for months at a time, the people whose job it is to cover Parliament would claim there was nothing going on in Parliament. Oddly enough, when a session was suspended or prorogued, or Chrétien dropped the writ for an election, we would read long, long lists of important-sounding legislation that would now never be passed. How come we never heard about a bill until it died on the order paper? One of life’s little mysteries.

I have taken you through this grim landscape to demonstrate something you probably have already noticed: the stuff you devote your lives to — quality, well-designed delivery of services to Canadian citizens — has vanished from the Press Gallery’s priority list.

I asked another friend of mine, a broadcast producer, what public servants mean to her. She said, "That report they spend two years of their lives working on? I pick up a copy of it and give it to my reporter, so when he interviews the minister he can point to it on-camera and say, 'There’s a lot of stuff in here.' It’s a prop. He’ll never read it."

>Harper said he would choose questioners from a pre-screened list

Duh.  By definition if there's a list one can either hear everyone or must choose less than all if time is limited.  I've noticed that same sentence appears in several articles on the subject, yet none bothers to quote Harper or a PMO staffer to back it up.  It's almost as if the writers were receiving their copy from a central source, or just endlessly quoting (without attribution) whoever first penned the line.  I'd surely like to see exactly what the PM/PMO has uttered or written on the subject.  The fact that choice is exercised still doesn't tell us what governs choice: the desire to blacklist, the desire to ensure difference agencies and reporters each obtain opportunities to question if time is short, the desire to favour questioners who routinely ask intelligent questions over those who do not, or any other factors.

Since the press didn't bother to even try the new system long enough to establish genuine concerns over procedural fairness, we can't know.  The PPG removed themselves from the board at what they perceived to be the first shot fired.  Cunning strategists, all.

Back