• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Requesting a LOA from a non-supportive employer

max flinch

Inactive
Reaction score
Last week I submitted a memo to my employer (I teach in BC at an independent school) asking for an unpaid leave of absence for the last two weeks of the school year so I could do the first two blocks of my DP1. I found out today that I came within a hair's width of being fired (or not having my position waiting for me in September) for even asking. Ouch.

After further discussion with my principal this morning (she's not the one making the decision), it seems that the initial reaction to my request from administration is that I must be uncaring about my job and disloyal. I'm too blown away to even have a response at the moment. It's been three years of busting my butt to try to make a difference to the kids of this community at an underfunded school with few resources.

I'd like to hear suggestions on dealing with the situation, or how anyone else has handled requests for time off with an employer that's either unsupportive or uncooperative.

Thanks in advance.

Max

Max Flinch said:
Last week I submitted a memo to my employer (I teach in BC at an independent school) asking for an unpaid leave of absence for the last two weeks of the school year so I could do the first two blocks of my DP1. I found out today that I came within a hair's width of being fired (or not having my position waiting for me in September) for even asking. Ouch.

After further discussion with my principal this morning (she's not the one making the decision), it seems that the initial reaction to my request from administration is that I must be uncaring about my job and disloyal. I'm too blown away to even have a response at the moment. It's been three years of busting my butt to try to make a difference to the kids of this community at an underfunded school with few resources.

I'd like to hear suggestions on dealing with the situation, or how anyone else has handled requests for time off with an employer that's either unsupportive or uncooperative.

Thanks in advance.

Max

Max:

I feel for you.  Unfortunately, until our government amends the law of the land in such a way as to guarantee your civilian job in such circumstances, stories such as yours will continue to be fairly normal.

As an aside - I am currently working as a volunteer in the Pacific Northwest Music Festival here in Terrace, BC.  This has put me in constant contact with many school teachers.  For the most part (and regrettably), the ignorance shown by these folks regarding the military in general, and military service in particular is astounding.  You have, unfortunately, entered a career in which the vast majority of your peers (at least from my viewpoint) are willingly blind to the realities of military service.  I don't think you'll win this particular fight, at this particular time.

I don't have any suggestions for you - if you push too hard it appears you may lose your means of livelihood, and a career which you presumably choose because you enjoy it - not a good outcome.

Good luck to you - I wish I could be of assistance.

Roy

Max:

I am assuming you are a reservist.  You need to get in contact with the Canadian Forces Liaison Council....They have skilled people whose job it is to talk to employers in an attempt to convince them of the importance of you leaving for your training...You'd be surprised at some of the connections they have that would be willing to make a phone call to the big wigs of your employer to get you the time off that you need...

http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/general/intro_e.asp

Ditto on using CFLC but the fact that your are involved with the education profession in BC (left-leaning profession, very left-leaning area and union) doesn't surprise me.  The army doesn't exactly help either by often making last-minute changes to course dates and/or pre-requitistes.  I hope you get everything sorted out.  Just out of curiosity, if you are reserve were there no weekend DP1 courses available to you this past spring or did your enrollment not happen fast enough?

Your situation was similar to mine for over a decade, basically I couldn't take a leadership course becasue of job requirements and I languished in a spot where I couldn't do a lot of the things I wanted to while some very inexperienced people were able to get qualified and promoted over me. 

I can echo the statements about CFLC, your home reserve unit has a rep or two for CFLC. Find out who they are and get the ball rolling.
Also, many union organizations have military leave written into their collective agreement. It is something that is not used often enough IMHO.

It may say something along the lines that if a member is called for active duty a LOA must be granted. In my case, I have used it for courses as to be deployable, I must be employable. To be employable, I must have the training. So not allowing you to do the courses is against the intent of the collective agreement.

Good luck

GF

Even the BC Fed is endorsing saving reservists jobs, so in addition to the CFLC, you might want to get in touch with your union representative and remind them of this policy:

the link is http://www.bcfed.com/node/613

Armed Forces reservists deserve job protection - No one should lose his or her job for serving Canada
November 10, 2006

**FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE**

Vancouver - Reservists in Canada's armed forces deserve job protection and continued benefits, says B.C. Federation of Labour President Jim Sinclair.

"This Remembrance Day, let's not only remember those who have sacrificed to serve Canada in the past, but those that are sacrificing their jobs and livelihoods today," said Sinclair.

Sinclair called for changes to BC's Employment Standards Act, so that if reservists leave their job to perform military service they could return to their civilian job after service.

Likewise, Sinclair also called for changes that would ensure these workers, their spouse and/or dependants the right to continued membership in a workplace health or pension plan.

"Politicians are often quick to deploy Forces. They should be just as quick to ensure Canada's reservists have job protection," Sinclair said.

-30-

For more information contact: Jessie Uppal 604-430-1421 or 604-220-0739

cope 15

Problem could be is your in a type of job that may not be able to afford to loose you. At that point I stand with your employer in saying no.

But in dealing with the BC school system in the past, and getting a general consensus of a lack of understanding on what the Military has done and will contiue to do for Canada and in particular how a Reservist can help so much in their local community. I Hope the best in your situation.

As stated above, you should contact the CFLC, also contact your Union Rep. In BC there has been a big push to support Reservists. Forest Fires and floods.

Best of luck to you, I hope your issue gets sorted out.

"Uncaring and Disloyal"?

Perhaps we should start a thread called "TRAITORS IN OUR MIDST" and start publicly outing the anti-Canadian elements in our country.

TCBF said:
"Uncaring and Disloyal"?

Perhaps we should start a thread called "TRAITORS IN OUR MIDST" and start publicly outing the anti-Canadian elements in our country.

That's the kind of thread that could get army.ca shut down if a corporation or named individual took offence.  Such accusations would have to be ready to be backed up by the accuser with concrete evidence that would stand in court against a libel claim. How deep are your pockets and how prepared are you to contribute the essential component (i.e., money) of a court defence by army.ca and its owner?  It's not the sort of 'organized' dogpile we need, nor would it be a productive exercise.

What we must all realize is there are some jobs and some employers who cannot afford to allow time off for a Reservist to go away and train. Those are very far and few between. This may be a situation where it applys.

How ever much it puts the person who wants to join the Reserves at a unfortunate circumstances, some times that is how it works out. Then it will come down to a choice.

Being a Reservist is more then a part time job every other weekend. It is a huge time and family commitment.

Many thanks to all of you who posted advice. Here's my update:

My employer has done a 180 degree turn around. At a sit down with the administrative officers of my employer, any issues with admin, marks, or transitioning my class to a sub for two weeks were taken care of to their satisfaction. They stated that their initial reaction in fact came from being unclear on what being a reservist entails.  Upon learning more about the role of the reserves in Canada and overseas, and reflecting on how my military experience and training brings "many positives" to where I teach, they have expressed their absolute support. They've even given me the chance to continue paying into my pension while I'm away (which is really decent of them, since they match my contributions).

All's well that ends well. Now if I can just knock off another 5 pounds before starting phase 3...

Thanks again.

Max,

Great news. But don't be satisfied with that alone.  Still follow through with CFLC rep and get them to sign into the support program.  You may find the need in the future to have more than 2 weeks off. And you don't need the hassle of trying to beg for an extension to your current 2 weeks.  None of this is worth anything if it's verbal.  Have them commit to a statement of support.

Max that is excellent! I wish I could have paid into my pension while on class B. That will have to be in the next round of negotiations.

Good to see another employer doing a 180 on military service, all the best Max, congrats on your success.

I second or third that for getting CFLC involved still. They can and will shed more light on what it is you do and how you do it.

Good luck.

CFLC can also wine and dine your employer by sending them on executrecks and other events.
I have had my boss flown out to the west coast to spend a weekend on a CDV. True I am land and that is a sea component but it worked!

I have had no problems with getting time off for courses etc.

You can nominate your boss personally through the web site or through your unit rep.

GF

RN PRN said:
CFLC can also wine and dine your employer by sending them on executrecks and other events.
I have had my boss flown out to the west coast to spend a weekend on a CDV. True I am land and that is a sea component but it worked!

I have had no problems with getting time off for courses etc.

You can nominate your boss personally through the web site or through your unit rep.

GF

+1 on this. I've had two supervisors make a radical change in their support of time off for training requests etc after getting them on an Executrek trip. They now ask me when I need time off for training, as opposed to having to beg / borrow / steal for it. They have also seen how the training and skill sets benefit them where I work. Its "Gold" for all around.

Michael O'Leary said:
That's the kind of thread that could get army.ca shut down if a corporation or named individual took offence.   Such accusations would have to be ready to be backed up by the accuser with concrete evidence that would stand in court against a libel claim. How deep are your pockets and how prepared are you to contribute the essential component (i.e., money) of a court defence by army.ca and its owner?  It's not the sort of 'organized' dogpile we need, nor would it be a productive exercise.

I have to echo Michael's comments here but that doesn't prevent say your wife or girlfriend from making a post on a non affiliated site.

Back