• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Res Force Pay

dapaterson said:
And your squadron belongs to a wing, that belongs to 1 CAD, that is under CAS - who are the ones (A1) who should call DPPD on your behalf.

Copying from a Canadian Forces Organizational Order from an Air Force squadron,

Seems pretty straight forward, no?

WOW. you can tell you work for NDHQ....... Not even going to explain as to why.

CHANNELS OF COMMUNICATION SHALL FOLLOW THE CHAIN OF COMMAND AND CONTROL, EXCEPT THE COMMANDING OFFICER IS AUTHORIZED TO COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY WITH SUPPORTING UNITS ON MATTERS OF SUPPORT AND WITH NDHQ STAFF ON THE SUBJECT OF INDIVIDUAL PERSONNEL CAREER MANAGEMENT.

Ok..now what does it say about pay/benefits enquiries?  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
CHANNELS OF COMMUNICATION SHALL FOLLOW THE CHAIN OF COMMAND AND CONTROL, EXCEPT THE COMMANDING OFFICER IS AUTHORIZED TO COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY WITH SUPPORTING UNITS ON MATTERS OF SUPPORT AND WITH NDHQ STAFF ON THE SUBJECT OF INDIVIDUAL PERSONNEL CAREER MANAGEMENT.

Ok..now what does it say about pay/benefits enquiries?   ;D

Glad you said it! My thought exactly!

tank recce said:
Ahh, but our Squadrons - being sub-units of the Regiment - don't have Orderly Rooms. We have RORs, not SORs.  ;)

Maybe for your Regiment, but mine former PRes Armd unit had a SOR and ROR.  When I worked at TSS at the Armour School, they had a SOR with a Sqn Clerk in it.  I can't say one way or the other if the Reg Force Regiments had/have SORs.

geo said:
Let's be honest here.....
Reservists who voluntter for service overseas are placed on class C service and are paid all the pay, allowances & benefits of a Reg, for the duration of their authorized period of duty.
Reservists who are on class A or B in their area who are not preparing for overseas service ARE NOT employable/deployable at the beck and call of the service.... and that is part of the reason for the 15% difference in pay...
Reservists are paid 85% of Reg pay scales.  On class A service, they are paid their 85% per day PLUS (+) 9% in lieu of vacation for same said day = 94% of Reg pay....
While I wish your rumour would be true..... I have serious doubts that it is possible - let alone probable.

There are lots of reservists in Canada who are on Class C who don't deply overseas, the naval reserve is full of them.

FarmerD said:
WOW. you can tell you work for NDHQ....... Not even going to explain as to why.

Because I've had to deal with units that see themselves as "special" who don't need to obey orders issued by the CDS (a CFOO)?  Who ask questions that have already been answered numerous times to others, and indeed to their own chain of command?  Who seem to think that there's a vast conspiracy to hide information from their unit, so they should call people of their own volition?

Chain of command engagement makes a huge difference - if the A1 of CAS sends a letter asking about something it might even spur action to assess the situation.  Random calls from multiple units are largely ignored.

I have been on both ends of the information pipe.  Sometimes it takes a little additional effort to engage the chain of command on queries - but the results are generally much better.

Eye In The Sky said:

Ok..now what does it say about pay/benefits enquiries?   ;D

Nothing at all.  They fall under "Channels of Communication" - if it ain't indiv pers career mgt or supporting units, use your chain of command.

Stoker said:
There are lots of reservists in Canada who are on Class C who don't deply overseas, the naval reserve is full of them.
possibly in the Naval reserve - but not in the Army reserve.  Only reservists being paid Class C are those on deployment and those training to go on deployment.

kratz said:
I would ask that we please be careful. When working class B or class C, do you add your annual leave into your daily pay? So adding the 9% PILL (Pay in Lieu of Leave) into regular class A pay is not a valid way of suggesting 94% of RegF pay. Civilian employers must pay vacation pay to part-time staff, and PILL is the class A equivalent.

I know, I know.... Pay in lieu of leave shouldn't be taken into consideration BUT, this is something that has only been paid to reservists over the last umpteen years - before, class A types woulda gotten NADA - nothing.... yes, civy employers have all had to pay vacation pay at one time or another - always have, always will...

geo said:
possibly in the Naval reserve - but not in the Army reserve.  Only reservists being paid Class C are those on deployment and those training to go on deployment.

Not quite.  There are Army reservists working as gate guards for MARPAC and MARLANT who are getting class C.

kratz said:
I would ask that we please be careful. When working class B or class C, do you add your annual leave into your daily pay? So adding the 9% PILL (Pay in Lieu of Leave) into regular class A pay is not a valid way of suggesting 94% of RegF pay. Civilian employers must pay vacation pay to part-time staff, and PILL is the class A equivalent.

Remember that it's really the class A soldier (or sailor or airman) who gets the short end of the stick.  Look at an Air Reservist who works a three day week, every week.  That's 60% of the workweek.  But where the class B individual, who normally works five days, gets paid for seven, the class A member only gets three of seven days paid.  Or, in other words, they get 42% of the pay that a class B member gets for doing 60% of the work.  Of course, changing this would mean we'd have to go to "Class B for 5 days or more" insterad of the current "14 days or more" rule.

If we want to look at parity for Res F members, step one should be to address the class A pay shortfall.

Hmmm.  Not all Class B folks just work Mon-Fri though.  We used to have Bde Trg weekends, where we worked Mon to the following Friday straight (as in 12 days in a row).

Also, those Class A mbrs being paid 3 days a week, IMO, is quite fair as they aren't subject to things like being Duty NCO, weekend trng, or subject to respond to "get in here now" calls.

Class B personnel are, as they are paid 24/7, so therefore they are subject to the CSD 24/7.

Class A personnel also don't sign a contract that states they are subject to TD 'as required' (within Canada). So, Mr/Mrs Class A doesn't have to go on that tasking as Widget Tech Instructor at CFB Anywhere for X months (which I know is NOT the case for the Class B folks in my old Bde).

The class B/C pay equity issue is being examined by a "tiger team" appointed under the Chief of Reserves and Cadets organization, so you won't find anything about it through DPPD. I don't recall the name of the Colonel appointed to head it up, but it exists and will presumably make a recommendation of some kind through CRC to VCDS who would then staff any changes down to DPPD. Can't tell you much more than that (because I don't know), but I presume that they aren't going to miss any points as to the merits/demerits of the proposal that will inevitably be brought up here.

Short answer: don't hold your breath. Longer answer: sometimes rumours exist for a reason.

Hamiltongs,

Thanks for the info. I knew I had heard something. Guess this confirms that things are happening, but its a prelim stage.

Thanks again.

Not to hijack, but here in Australia the pay is the same, and an AGR soldier gets the same money tax free, mind you tax free means one would get for sake of argument, the daily rate after tax that a ARA soldier would get. It is however tax free, on top of one's regular job, or if he is not working and on social assistance, it does not count against him for his assistance. Plenty of perks in the Reserve Force here.

Example, an AGR SGT gets over $170 a day, and if field, on tier 2, an additional $47 a day for FOA. includied in his pay is an $11 service allowance, and petrol money which goes up the further one drives in. You cant collect petrol money if you are on FOA. Either way, it would add up fast. Tax free.

In short if a AGR SGT was to work 7 days a week (say on course or consecutive trg days), on the same payscale as myself, he would make more money, but he can work up to 200 days a year only (class A type days). No 9% holiday pay either. Normally referred to as Leave Loading in Australia. After about 10 yrs of service in theARA (not AGR) , one gets Long Service Leave, which is 90 work days, and an additional 9 work days per year thereafter.

You guys pay tax as reservists of CL A days. There is NO reserve pension, nor is there in the ARA, shy of a small amount left on the old DFRDB scheme. Everyone else including myself is MSBS (super). Google these accronyms for explanations if you like.

Reservists on CL C here have the same pay and privillages of an ARA soldier, and are taxed. CL B's don't exist, you are either FT or PT, no variations in this 15% less even though you work FT. One does the same job FT in the same Unit, and is worth 15% less? Hummmmm, is that fair?

Perhaps Canada could learn from the system here??
Cheers,

OWDU

EDIT: ARA Australian Regular Army
AGT: Active General Reserve

Just a note: Effective March 2007, class A and class B reserves pay into the pension if they have 2 or more years of service. There is a 45+ discussion on it and buying back time in.

Edit to add: True. I should not have said all. I missed the annuitants who are able elect to pay into it.

kratz said:
Just a note: Effective March 2007, all class A and class B reserves pay into the pension if they have 2 or more years of service. There is a 45+ discussion on it and buying back time in.

Excuse me!  All?  I don't think so.  I have not noticed any deductions in my pay that goes into a Pension plan.  I have not elected to do so.  But to make you happy, I will double check.  Nope!  None there.  I hope you are not confusing the Canada Pension Deduction as a Reserve Pension.  It isn't.

dapaterson said:
Not quite.  There are Army reservists working as gate guards for MARPAC and MARLANT who are getting class C.
Army guys working for squids ??? Gawd, I too would ask for a 15% premium to work with "those" guys  :P (jk)

Eye In The Sky said:
Class A personnel also don't sign a contract that states they are subject to TD 'as required' (within Canada). So, Mr/Mrs Class A doesn't have to go on that tasking as Widget Tech Instructor at CFB Anywhere for X months (which I know is NOT the case for the Class B folks in my old Bde).

Ummm.... what contract ???
There are route letters - but that is an admin/financial document - not a committment or contract...
Have taken up that subject with the AJAG many a times..... not a legaly binding contract.

kratz said:
Just a note: Effective March 2007, class A and class B reserves pay into the pension if they have 2 or more years of service. There is a 45+ discussion on it and buying back time in.

Edit to add: True. I should not have said all. I missed the annuitants who are able elect to pay into it.
Not all Class A are paying. I'm collecting the pension due from CFSA.

Back