• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve A-stan Tour in 2007; 36 bde

• Thread starter jmackenzie_15
  • Start date
recceguy said:
So...like this one time at Band Camp.... ;)

Oh.. jeez.. never heard that joke before...  c'mon, how 'bout the 'choking a cat' joke... or some kilt jokes...

Thats about as orrigional as asking a piper to play Amazing grace or Scotland the brave... This is why I charge $200 an hour ($150 minimum charge) to play at weddings and funerals, even for fellow troops.. 'cause like support elements, no one appreciates musicians untill they need them. 

btw.. I've never been on a band course, nor have I been to 'band camp'... 'cause I'm not a bandsman... I'm an infantry piper.

RHFC_piper said:
I've never been on a band course, nor have I been to 'band camp'... 'cause I'm not a bandsman... I'm an infantry piper.

???

Your a piper at work -- your a piper buddy.

if you where an Infantryman at work then you'd be a....

KevinB said:
???

Your a piper at work -- your a piper buddy.

if you where an Infantryman at work then you'd be a....

Sooo... by work you mean.. uh.. TASK FORCE 03 - 06.. where I'm and Augmentee for 1 RCR Battlegroup, B coy as a Carl Gustav Gunner?

Sounds like a job for a bandsman to me.. (sarcasm)

Or perhaps you're refering to what I do at home unit as an instructor for the holding platoon, teaching pre SQ soldiers, preparing them for SQ and BIQ... I'm sure they'll need to know how to play that pipes for their future courses.. (yet more sarcasm)

About the only time I'm a 'bandsman' is on Tuesday nights.

The last course I was on was DP2A, just before the summer... the only difference between me and the other infanteers in our regiement (besides 9 years of trg for musical skill on a very difficult instument, and enough devotion to the regiment to train 2 nights a week instead of one) is that I have to fight for every course I get on, I teach remedial Basic infantry skills to new troops and on exercises, I'm the bad guy.

So... I'm an infanteer... who plays the bag pipes.. and was attached to the band, NOT BY CHOICE.

Sheesh! Take a chill pill. It was a friggin' joke. And if your going to work with those guys, you better get a thicker skin, or they'll eat you alive. Good luck :salute:

Dude -- as Recceguy stated -- you have got to grow thicker skin...

RHFC_piper said:
Thats about as orrigional as asking a piper to play Amazing grace or Scotland the brave... This is why I charge $200 an hour ($150 minimum charge) to play at weddings and funerals, even for fellow troops..

Well, are'nt you just all about the troops.

And to think that I've helped guys move, clear out and get around when injured for nothing! I should have charged them - just so they would appreciate me!

Two things a new soldier should NEVER tell his Regiment:

1.  That he can play a musical instrument.

2.  That he can skate.

Tom

George Wallace said:
Hockey Team...

it's so true... everyone new that comes in our unit we  bug them to come out and play, we are always looking for someone good to come out and play

The Hockey comments are a sore point with a lot of regular force pers -- those who remember some teams in Germany (even in Canada) that were theoretically in a sub-unit but never went on ex since they where playing or practicing to play.

KevinB said:
The Hockey comments are a sore point with a lot of regular force pers -- those who remember some teams in Germany (even in Canada) that were theoretically in a sub-unit but never went on ex since they where playing or practicing to play.

Ahh this reminds me...wasn't it also an absolutely dizzying pace that they were promoted as well? Can't do my job (never had to actually do my job as it conflicts with the Team schedule) but I'm a WO with 11 years in because I'm a 80 goal scorer etc etc.

Still see this occur but it's not quite as prevalent as it used to be...at least in my neck of the woods.

I was surprised at all the hockey injuries in the reg force in pet and on tour. It seems like it was 90% +

Anyhow, how about we start an army.ca hockey team...

Ghost778 said:
Anyhow, how about we start an army.ca hockey team...
Well, I can't play hockey but I'm in for the Cheerleader try-outs!! Name the date & place. Can we please have anbody but CTS come up with the little mini I'll have to wear??

armyvern said:
Well, I can't play hockey but I'm in for the Cheerleader try-outs!! Name the date & place. Can we please have anbody but CTS come up with the little mini I'll have to wear??

:rofl:

MasterPrivate said:
only involve CTS if we aren't going to play until 2019.
Although I was thinking more along the lines of actually being issued a piece of kit in a design other than cadpat. At least I'm hoping that the Army.ca Hockey Team manager will be issuing these outfits won't he?? You are more than likely correct though. You really don't want to see me in a mini skirt in 2019 at the age of 50...well, on second thought...you probably don't need to see that now...

Agghhh!! My eyes!! I'm having scary visuals!!   8)

This is where we put all the all stars on the "A" team and treat them like gold and all the other players on the "B" team are like the red headed step childs right?

Ghost778 said:
the "B" team are like the red headed step childs right?

Oh oh...I might resemble this remark!!

That means I'm getting better!! I figure by having to get myself all worked up into a tizzy and performing a hot and sweaty work-out routine for team try-outs in a mini skirt...I'b be lucky to get voted onto the "Z" team let alone the "B" Team!!  ;)

RHFC_piper said:
Sooo... by work you mean.. uh.. TASK FORCE 03 - 06.. where I'm and Augmentee for 1 RCR Battlegroup, B coy as a Carl Gustav Gunner?

Sounds like a job for a bandsman to me.. (sarcasm)

Or perhaps you're refering to what I do at home unit as an instructor for the holding platoon, teaching pre SQ soldiers, preparing them for SQ and BIQ... I'm sure they'll need to know how to play that pipes for their future courses.. (yet more sarcasm)

About the only time I'm a 'bandsman' is on Tuesday nights.

The last course I was on was DP2A, just before the summer... the only difference between me and the other infanteers in our regiement (besides 9 years of trg for musical skill on a very difficult instument, and enough devotion to the regiment to train 2 nights a week instead of one) is that I have to fight for every course I get on, I teach remedial Basic infantry skills to new troops and on exercises, I'm the bad guy.

So... I'm an infanteer... who plays the bag pipes.. and was attached to the band, NOT BY CHOICE.

RHFC_piper, do you Scottish "band" type people have those glen-gary hats? If you do then I think I know exactly who you are, and if you plan on being a 1 RCR BG, 84 Gunner then it seems you have some hard PT issues to get over first. Perhaps you should get out of your band position, and find some infantry stuff to do to keep fit to fight.

Back