• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve A-stan Tour in 2007; 36 bde

• Thread starter jmackenzie_15
  • Start date
lol... i like that... they would have to be on crack to walk around k-town lol
i'm in ktown right now and its friggn crazy lol.. walking around those streets.. ppl throwing rocks and stuff... yelling at u. begging for stuff..
its interesting.. we did about 2.5 months of specific training for here, but i mean all training u do is potential work up right, it all gives u better insight.
better be getting some FIBUA training in there.. most important training to have...
well to all u guys/gals back in canada
take er easy

The only thing our unit has mainly been doing in the last year has been FIBUA....

im just curious as to how the work up training is run.

A year in gagetown... interesting.

is it possible that part of the work up training is done within your unit?

What were told was that it was 1 year, in gagetown - then 6 months in afghanistan.

Why don't we wait until something specific come out. IE: Detailing exactly what the plan is, instead of everyone trying to post what they think it's going to be.

When you've got a piece of paper in your hand saying " Johnny's going to do................... then you can post about it. Until then, try "Radio Silence".

Lost_Warrior said:
Well, the guy going has been to Bosnia several times and is Coyote qualified so...

Hate to burst anyone's bubble who is R011.  ::)

There will not be any reservists crewing Coyote or LAV on any of these tours for quite some time. If your buddy says he will.....

Someone lied to him, or he's been smoking up.

Regards

TF 1-06 is deploying in Feb with the workup trg running from Sept to Jan, at least for 1 RCHA. So figure it out from there. The Artillery will be deploying 1 Battery/TF, with two guns dets being reservists, so if you are a R021, you also have a chance to being employed in trade.

I have no idea specifically what we would be doing over there... its a rifle company being deployed (supposedly) so I guess it could be anything.

No doubt ill hear more about it later on this month.... theyre supposed to be taking names before the end of it.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble who is R011.  Roll Eyes

There will not be any reservists crewing Coyote or LAV on any of these tours for quite some time. If your buddy says he will.....

Someone lied to him, or he's been smoking up.

Regards 

No one is "smoking" anything...  ::)

Our Ops Warrant asked us at the end of the last training year who ever wanted to go on tour, to go see him because there was an Afghanistan tour coming up.  He said the work up training is 11 months and the tour is 6 months.

One of my buddies is supposed to be leaving some time this year to start his work up training.

We also have another Mcpl currently doing work up training for Afghanistan.  He's tasked as a G-Wagon driver.

Also, my buddy never said he was going to be in a crew for any vehicle.  All he said was he is leaving for his work up training some time this year.

Lost_Warrior said:
We also have another Mcpl currently doing work up training for Afghanistan.   He's tasked as a G-Wagon driver.

Hence NOT employed in trade.

Frankly I cant see reservist R021's crewing the new 155mm Towed M777.  1 RCHA has not gone anywhere as a unit since 92 Cyprus, they sent a few over in '02 to do FSCC stuff in the 3VP Btl Gp.  It would be a big slap in the face for the Shilo gunners to take reservists.

* Guys I am NOT reserve bashing I once was one (albiet over 11 years ago).  Try to look a realities of life - the regs at the cbt arm line serial level do not need augmentation, so why attempt to force reservists into job that are already occupied - it is a waste of money to displace a reg solider and have him stay in Edmonton, Petawawa, Valcartier, Gagetown mopping floors while a reservist goes overseas in his stead.  Add in the extra $ to bring the reserves up to regular force capability (this is a generalization -as there are lot of good reserve soldiers, but by and large a significant training gap exisits)
I know a few pointed out their units have done FIBUA ex's over a few months - but I would bet none have done month ex's with JTF instructor cadre in life fire killhouse precision house clearing.

IF Afghan ramps up into early 90's type multiple Btl Gp deployments back to back to back to back - and regular units start to eperience burn out - then yes greatly augmented reserve contributor is necessary.

Hence NOT employed in trade.

I never said he WAS being employed in trade.  I was just showing the fact that it's not JUST 031 Reservists going to A-Stan.

But that aside, I see your point.  However, by giving these Reservists the spots overseas, it gives them a lot of good knowledgeand experience they can never learn on weekend exercises.  This kind of knowledge and experience can then be employed and passed on back at the unit. 

In a way, I look at this not as taking positions away from a few very capable reg force members, and rather allowing Reservists to get more in theatre experience and knowledge, hence increasing the capability of the Reserve force.

KevinB said:
From my understanding the ONLY 0 trades to be employed in trade are the R031's.

I gather R sigs, clerks etc may have positions (don't quote me)

Yes, reserve sigs are currently employed in trade in Afghanistan.

"But that aside, I see your point.  However, by giving these Reservists the spots overseas, it gives them a lot of good knowledge and experience they can never learn on weekend exercises.  This kind of knowledge and experience can then be employed and passed on back at the unit."

Thats my main reason for wanting to go....

but again, can anyone answer my question about what the work up training is like?

AKKK (return of Bill the Cat)

Okay, so you want to go to bring experience back to the reserve unit?
Tell you what - join the regs, get our aftre 3 years and take that experience with you.

jmackenzie, - work up will depend upon what job your filling.
If its an 031 - it will involve lots of fun stuff, but also dependant upon the unit running it.
If its a R069 Trench Wench role - you might do a lot of driving and getting coffee

im R031...

i mean like... is it an 8-5 , monday - friday type of deal? Or is it run like a course or something.....

where would we live the entire time, is another thing im curious about.... M5 ? lol.

Its 2RCR running it I think.

Okay, so you want to go to bring experience back to the reserve unit?
Tell you what - join the regs, get our aftre 3 years and take that experience with you.

Or he can stay in the reserves and go on tour...  ::)

You dont have to join the regs to gain that overseas experience.  I know plenty of reservists who have been on many tours.  They're doing just fine. 

Lost.
I did my first tour as  reservist - thanks for the lecture. 

PLEASE READ.

CURRENTLY the regular force combat arms do not need any reserve augmentation.
We have before and we may need it again, but currently we do not.

So there is ZERO valid reasons to take reservists in that capacity.  The fact you want a shiny is not a valid reason.

It always gets mentioned how reserves going overseas with the reg force bring back a lot of experience that they can pass on.

I agree they do bring back a lot of experience but passing it on isn't that easy.  First of all it's hard for privates cporporals and sometimes even sgt's to really pass this informaton on and change how a regiment operates.

Anyone who has worked with the reserves and regular force knows that they are two different monsters. Sometimes very different. They just don't do things the same way.  It's hard to take experience from the regular force and apply it effectively to the reserves.

Junior leaders learn a lot and pass on a lot to new soldiers and those new soldiers remember it until they work for someone else who simply tells them to do it a different way.

Case in point.
Working with the reserves I was always taught while on a partol, alternate your arcs. One rifleman points right, one points left.
The regular force said this was wrong. Right handed shooters hardly get enough instinctive shooting time with the rifle in their right hands, their not going to hit shit with the rifle in their left hand. Makes a lot of sense to me.
Try bringing that experience learned from overseas back to the reserves. I've seen warrant officers tell sargeants to basically shut the fuck up when the sgt tried to point this out.

Sorry for going a little off topic.
Yes reserves learn a lot about the reg force over sea's but applying it to the reserves is a whole different story.
basically you learn to do it the right way but still have to do it the wrong way.

Ghost778 said:
It always gets mentioned how reserves going overseas with the reg force bring back a lot of experience that they can pass on.

I agree they do bring back a lot of experience but passing it on isn't that easy.   First of all it's hard for privates cporporals and sometimes even sgt's to really pass this informaton on and change how a regiment operates.

I've seen warrant officers tell sargeants to basically shut the **** up when the sgt tried to point this out.

Sorry for going a little off topic.
Yes reserves learn a lot about the reg force over sea's but applying it to the reserves is a whole different story.
basically you learn to do it the right way but still have to do it the wrong way.

Until the senior Army Reserve soldiers, particularly those that teach in the Reserve system get some "real world" experience of thier own, the Old Way will always be the Right Way.   Thankfully this is happening in a limited way.   As you know, aside from ex-Regs, the number of senior leaders in the Army Reserve world with "real" experience is quite small.

The Naval Reserve, however, has bags of experience thanks, in part, to the crewing of the Maritime Costal Defence Vessels with almost 100% Reservists. Why we can't transfer that mindset to the Army Reserve is beyond me.   Yes, Kandahar is dangerous and I don't agree that Reservists (now) are suitable for deployment as formed sub units (yet) but I'd argue that the North Atlantic in winter is just as bad a$$ a workplace as the streets of Kandahar.

KevinB said:
CURRENTLY the regular force combat arms do not need any reserve augmentation.
We have before and we may need it again, but currently we do not.

So there is ZERO valid reasons to take reservists in that capacity.

Agreed, but the grown ups have decided that they're gonna go.   Why?   Because the Reserve Pte/Cpl who deploys with you now may well be the MCpl/Sgt/Lt who leads more Reservists "over there" in 2-5 years time.

I read a quote recently, something like "Experience is the one thing you don't get until right after you need it."
You and the others on your tour can fix that by taking the Reservists, screening and training them as you would your own troops, employing them to thier full capacity and encouraging them to do the same when they go home.   That way, in five years, when you're near to getting your Afghan citizenship 'cause you've been there so many times, you can safely watch capable, confident and experienced Reservists go in your place while you read the Maple Leaf on the next Roto 0.

... and I wasn't lecturing... ;D

Haggis - I dont trust half our troops with weapons as it is.

I am all for competitive selection for tours based on capability.  Problem is it is VERY time and resource intensive.

TMS Training / Work up is not enough to get troops switched on to the realities of life.  At least in a Reg Bn you have them for ex's and you can blacklist some of your deadwood prior to a Warning Order.  Unfortunately then you run out of troops...

I have seen how some Experience reserve NCO's run their PL.  A good buddy of mine (then a res Sgt) ended up being the defacto Pl WO since the (res) WO was a POS and was busy entertaining the ladies of the camp.  Unfortunately when you push reservists into a postition that effective removes regulars from a tour they go under the microscope.

I'm all for selective intergration  - just don't force a quota or complete units (or subunits) down the throats and leave reg guys at home.

True Story - US enters Iraq - meanwhile Cbt Spt Coy 1VP is sweeping and mopping Hangar 2 in Edmonton for the Roto 11 Reserve Company farewell parade...  We had a bunch of experience Cpl/Cpl's get pout after that - why we saw our allied doing the job, while we got to sit at home and watch our jobs filled...

The question is not whether or not reserves can do the job individually - but Why are fit regs sidelined for them?

IF the CF was looking at going to Iraq or another hotspot - yeah we would likely be tossing away the lesser tour positions to reservists, but currently we have a very young cbt arms field and tons of folk getting out due to boredom and disillusionment - C Coy 1VP is losing 46 pers in the next few months, new troops come in and they want tours.

1VP has not had a unit tour since Kosovo in 99
2VP since Roto 7
3VP had two coys and a mixed Cbt spt Coy in 2002.

When you add in the releases and postings...

Guys are chomping for action - my attitude is if reservists want tours they should take a 3 year BE

Back